Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 03:31:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Monitor Repair Log and Database. **Arcade and Gaming**
| |-+  Monitor Repair Tech Support
| | |-+  Monitor Fading to black
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Monitor Fading to black  (Read 4068 times)
SilverFerret
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 34

« on: June 17, 2011, 02:12:21 AM »

Recently I had a problem with this monitor in which it wouldn't fire up. The rest of my gamemaker would work but the monitor wouldn't come on. On the suggestion of NLG members, I changed a few caps and its been working fine for a few weeks until I watched it fade to black and back on. It continued to stay on fine for another week or so when I noticed the monitor was black and wasn't coming back on. I left the machine off until I could have a chance to take a look at the caps, As I was examining the monitor, I noticed a focus dial and another dial that apparently will fade the monitor to black by turning it. I know this because I put the monitor back in and turned it on and it came on just fine and I adjusted the focus and turned the other dial and it went dark and I turned it the other way and it was bright again.
I had hoped it was a fluke that it faded to black but as I watched it for a few minutes it faded out again. It's a long and convaluted story but what does it sound like to you?
It's a Tatung monitor with very little if any burn in and worked great until these two issues.
Thanks for the help, Jim

* Game Maker 7000 005.jpg (823.48 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 294 times.)

* Game Maker 7000 004.jpg (858.79 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 294 times.)
Slotmaster
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 172

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 11:09:37 AM »

heat around the knobs will move them around just a tad when it heats up which is why they put a drop of glue on them from the factory and so they don't shift in shipping.    If it keeps doing it then use contact cleaner around the knobs and put a dab of hot glue on the them when in focus / brightness range.

Works for us all the time.

SilverFerret
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 12:02:06 PM »

I thought maybe the knob was the issue, but with the game on I watched it fade to black and as it was doing that I tried adjusting that knob which didn't help. It faded out not matter where I had that knob.
Slotmaster
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 172

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 06:03:10 PM »

I thought maybe the knob was the issue, but with the game on I watched it fade to black and as it was doing that I tried adjusting that knob which didn't help. It faded out not matter where I had that knob.
Simple thing to do is replace the flyback or hard for some but first try to clean (knob area) with contact cleaner, fixes many for us.   Dust  and dirt get inside there and cause all kinds of trouble. 
SilverFerret
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 07:02:32 PM »

So you don't think it's a capacitor issue or anything. The brightness dial is where you think the trouble is? It fades to black but my turning the dial doesn't bring it back nor does it ever go too bright instead of going dark.
Thank, Jim
P.S. What's the flyback?
cowboygames
Abbys Dad
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 07:21:48 PM »

The flyback is your high voltage transformer or HVT with the big red wire coming out of the top going to the tube. You might also check connections and caps in the horiz circuit. A can of cooling spray can be real handy in these situations. Spot cool componants when it goes out to see if it comes back, but you could easily have a bad flyback as stated above
AnotherTech
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 12:45:56 AM »

The focus and the other knob (high voltage) you were adjusting are on the flyback (FBT, flyback transformer, high voltage transformer, etc, they are all the same thing).  You want the adjustment on the high voltage to be high enough to look good (when the monitor is working), but not have white retrace lines through the screen.  

The fading in and out problem is probably another bad cap, or possibly a bad transistor or IC.  The cooling spray (also called freeze spray) cowboygames  suggested is a great idea if it happens when the monitor is warmed up.  Spray it on individual components on the board when the monitor blacks out.  If the monitor comes back on when the freeze spray hits a component, that's a good component to change.  yes

If you haven't replaced C331, I would try that.  It was a common failure.  Most of the failures on the Tatung monitors were caps.  
Some other common failures that might cause your problem were:
Q603
Q101
ZD620
as well as C106 and C109, which I think you already replaced.

Good luck.

Edit to add:  If you can get a good clear picture of the monitors board, I may be more help.  It's been a while since I've had one to look at, but I have fixed tons of these when we had them.
SilverFerret
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 12:52:52 AM »

Thanks a bunch. I'll give those a try.
Thanks again, Jim
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.