Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 05:15:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S and S-plus Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  S+ No Reel Spin Sounds, all other sounds work
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: S+ No Reel Spin Sounds, all other sounds work  (Read 16347 times)
bigphxguy
« on: July 18, 2011, 02:27:59 AM »

Hi all...Newbie to the forum here.

I have a S+ 4th of July with an SP1271 Game Prom chip.  I've read several other threads and have seen two possible solutions to my problem, but neither seems to correct my issue.

My dip switches are set to 1-on, 2-on, 3-on, 4-8 off.  However, if I understand correctly, the dip switches do nothing for the SP1271 chip.

In my self test setttings, test 2 is set to 1, or on, which results in the reel stop sound coming from the solenoid instead of the speaker.  I still get my "spin to win" sounds when landing on the 4th of July symbol on reel 3, coin drop sounds and "win" sounds" are all there...just no reel spin sounds.

If I change self test 2 to 0, or off, I get the reel stop sounds through the speaker instead of the solenoid.  That seems to be the only thing that changes when I change this setting.

Has anyone else seen this problem before?

Thanks in advance for any help.
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 03:00:11 AM »

Very odd. Scratch Head I've never heard of this.

2-1 would be the correct setting. That outputs spin music and diverts the stop pulse to the solenoid because the sound chip wasn't capable of producing both sounds at the same time.

Have you tried going into the sound test page and trying each of the different sounds?  Press the test button until you see a 50 in the winner paid window. (I think it's 5 presses.)
Turn the JP key to change the sound being tested and press the spin button to test each sound.

The spin "music" is actually composed of 4 separate tones comprising a C major triad with an octave. See if each of those tones works, as well as the rest of the test sounds. That will at least confirm whether there is a problem with the sound chip. It's possible that the spin sound data is corrupted.

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
bigphxguy
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 03:05:19 AM »

I've gone through all the sound settings and I get tones on every selection.  The sounds are there....they just won't play during a spin while playing the game!

Very perplexing...
poppo
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 248

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 03:14:16 AM »

If I change self test 2 to 0, or off, I get the reel stop sounds through the speaker instead of the solenoid.  That seems to be the only thing that changes when I change this setting.

As noted, the stop sounds always come from the solenoid. But see this thread about a similar issue I had with the PRS.

http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=10467.0

Also, I would go here and verify you actually have a SP1271 in there regardless of how it may be marked. BTW, the SP1271 does not give you as many sound choices for the bonus spins. A SP1048 is a better choice.
http://www.newlifegames.net/spset/SPSS.htm
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 03:35:03 AM by poppo » Logged
StatFreak

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 03:19:59 AM »

As noted, the stop sounds always come from the solenoid. But see this thread about a similar issue I had with the PRS.

http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=10467.0

No they don't. In fact, the thread you've linked to points that out. When 2 is set to 0, there are no spin sounds and the stop sound is synthesized through the speaker. When 2 is set to 1, there is actually NO stop sound, and the handle release solenoid is actuated, creating the illusion of a stop sound.

According to his post, he's tried setting 2-1. Since he can hear the coin-in sounds and the music during the respin, we know that his volume is turned up and that the speaker/amp hardware is working, as well as at least some of the sounds generated by the sound chip.

Now that he's run the 50 test and has heard all of the sounds, that puts this squarely in the "strange" category.

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
poppo

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 03:23:33 AM »

No they don't. In fact, the thread you've linked to points that out.

Yeah, you are right. That was so long ago, I didn't re-read the whole thing. I just remembered the PSR being missleading.

But he should verify the SP chip is a 1271.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 03:34:17 AM by poppo » Logged
StatFreak

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 03:32:38 AM »

Hmmm. I wonder if it's possible that the SP1271 is corrupted. Maybe the subroutine that calls the spin sounds isn't being called, or the subroutine code is corrupted. But wouldn't that cause the chip to fail the checksum test? Scratch Head

It might be worth trying a different SP chip, and perhaps even a differend SS chip (for giggles) to see if that solves the problem. If you have another MPU board, you might also try swapping it out.

bigphxguy
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 02:18:19 PM »

I'll see if I can get my hands on another MPU and a SP chip.  I'll give it a whirl and let you know what happens.  Thanks for the ideas!
bigphxguy
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 02:39:26 PM »

Does anyone have a digital copy of PSR1271 they wouldn't mind sharing with me?  I'd like to go through EVERYTHING and see if I can uncover something that may solve my problem.  Thanks!
poppo

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 02:42:11 PM »

Does anyone have a digital copy of PSR1271 they wouldn't mind sharing with me?  I'd like to go through EVERYTHING and see if I can uncover something that may solve my problem.  Thanks!

Here you go. But check that link I posted above to make sure you actually have a SP1271 in there. Would not be the first time a chip was mis-labeled.

* SP1271.doc (95 KB - downloaded 192 times.)
bigphxguy
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 03:02:00 PM »

Thanks poppo!  I checked the chip on the LED display...it is indeed a 1271.  I suspect a corrupted chip.  I'll be swapping chips later today...we'll see if that fixes my issue.
bigphxguy
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 06:56:02 PM »

So I threw my MPU board in another S+ machine, and voila!  Spin Sounds!  So I know it isn't the MPU or the SP chip.  Any ideas as to what else could possibly be affecting my reel spin sounds?  Again, all other sounds are audible, so it isn't a speaker or sound hardware issue.  Is there anything else in the actual machine (aside from the MPU) that could be causing this issue?
poppo

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 07:01:30 PM »

I suppose you might do a clear if you have the clear and set chips to do it. Some settings are stored in the EEPROM on the motherboard.
knagl

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 08:13:43 PM »

Yeah -- I'm stumped, too, but I'm with poppo -- at this point a clear wouldn't hurt and I really can't think of anything else that would cause this.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
rickhunter
SMAA Founder and Chairman

Total Karma Storms: 226

I Void Warranties

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 08:45:36 PM »

The last time I had weird behavior on my S+, I had to clear eeprom for it to go away.  So at this time, I would do a clear.

A slot collector is like a coin hopper in a machine that never pays out.  they just keep on accumulating assets.
bigphxguy
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 11:40:57 PM »

I just ordered a clear chip on eBay.  I was hoping it wouldn't come to this, but now I'm having an unrelated issue with being unable to change my page 0 option 8.  It's locked up at 2 and won't convert bills to credits and I can't change it...even after using the set denom chip.

Arrrrgggggghhhhhh!  Looks like I'll be waiting for the clear chip.
poppo

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 11:50:11 PM »

I just ordered a clear chip on eBay.  I was hoping it wouldn't come to this, but now I'm having an unrelated issue with being unable to change my page 0 option 8.  It's locked up at 2 and won't convert bills to credits and I can't change it...even after using the set denom chip.

Arrrrgggggghhhhhh!  Looks like I'll be waiting for the clear chip.

Ha! I knew we would see this again.  Read this first post. You first have to change it with the set chip. Basically there are 2 places you need to change it.

http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=12179.msg105794#msg105794

But also make sure you didn't have any credits on the machine when you tried to change it.
rickhunter

I Void Warranties

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 11:51:48 PM »

Remember, you can't change any options if you have credits on your machine.

A slot collector is like a coin hopper in a machine that never pays out.  they just keep on accumulating assets.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2011, 11:56:17 PM »

Hmm...I thought he had spin sounds when installed in another machine...
maybe it is possible there are some options and settings saved on that motherboard chip?

I'm almost certain that an IC component isn't shifting a register along it's path
and it's also possible that there's an diode completely out of specifications due to heat, age,etc.etc.
Chances are the 1k resistor that sums up the sound generators current sources - is getting out of whack.
When you put it into the other machine - it kind of woke it up!  bust gut laughing
I'd pull out the microprocessor chip and re-insert it to give new life to it's leg pins...
Be very careful as this is a very long chip with a whole boatload of pin legs.
It very possible the certain legs on the microprocessor chip have become oxidized
and started to work from the jarring the MPU got as you banged it around removing and installing it.

OR

the motherboard chip in the other machine has those particular settings saved?

Clearing a RAM on the motherboard may not help as there are no sound bytes stored on that particular chip...
The sounds on an S+ are stored in the AY-3-8912 programmable sound generator chip.

BUT there MAY be some settings that you need to change?
Remember to remove all credits from this present machine in order to change settings.
Stranger things have happened... rotflmao >>>

ADD>>>  Sorry for the echo....lol
I WAS WRITING ( ok...typing! ) WHEN PEOPLE WERE POSTING!!!!!  Cry Laughing bust gut laughing rotflmao Crazy Tongue Out

* S+ Sound Schematics.png (332.04 KB, 1382x731 - viewed 319 times.)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 12:02:23 AM by stayouttadabunker » Logged
rickhunter

I Void Warranties

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2011, 12:00:39 AM »

The theory at this point is that there's some kind of corruption in the eeprom on the mainboard, and that's why the MPU board is working on the other machines, but not on the one in question.  That's why a clear seems like the next step.

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2011, 12:03:39 AM »

Are there credits on the present machine?

Can he set the [2-x] to a [2-1] ?
poppo

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2011, 12:03:56 AM »

The theory at this point is that there's some kind of corruption in the eeprom on the mainboard, and that's why the MPU board is working on the other machines, but not on the one in question.  That's why a clear seems like the next step.

Yep, that is my thought too. Most if not all of the settings are stored on the EEPROM. That is why you can pull the CMOS and you won't lose the settings after you clear the errors and it re-loads them from the EEPROM.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2011, 12:10:40 AM »

If he has a bad ground on the resistor or speaker in THAT CABINET -
he will not have sounds....
however, he does have "other" sounds...so I'm stumped.

I'd do the clear by sticking a magnet to the legs on the motherboard serial eprom -
WITHOUT the MPU installed!
That will definitely force the MPU to rewrite new data to the motherboard eprom.
He will get the [65-1] "Bad EEPROM DATA" error code which basically means the EEPROM data is "invalid".
or a code [67] "data eeprom changed"...
No problem, open and close the door optics will force the MPU to rewrite to the EEPROM.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 12:20:40 AM by stayouttadabunker » Logged
StatFreak

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2011, 12:12:27 AM »

I see that I'm late getting back to this thread, but I'll throw my hat in the ring with everyone else and suggest a full clear, as some sort of data corruption seems to be the most likely cause, and the evidence points to the EEPROM.

Stat garfield

poppo

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2011, 12:13:40 AM »

Can he set the [2-x] to a [2-1] ?

He did that back on page 1
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.