Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:27:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Monitor Repair Log and Database. **Arcade and Gaming**
| |-+  Monitor Repair Tech Support
| | |-+  Wells Gardner W4800 Blowing Fuses
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wells Gardner W4800 Blowing Fuses  (Read 4212 times)
Taco
Contributing NLG Member
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 13

« on: July 28, 2011, 04:05:00 AM »

I just found out that this monitor is a Wells Gardner K4800. At power up it blows the soldered in fuse. I am a newb and this is my first attempt at monitor repair. Ive read just about everything I could find and just finished pulling the diodes (4) after the fuse and they check fine.

Latest check found u shaped retaining bar that holds the flyback onto the upper bracket burned completely through in the post that runs in the middle of the flyback (Top Pic).
Also vertical output portion of the board is really dark on the top as compared to the rest of the board. The solder side looks overheated in this area with white frost like color (Bottom Pic).
Was the flyback probably the culprit, and is this board worth saving?
I have more pictures, but can't post them bc it seems there is a limit to two photos. I can email them to anyone interested in helping further.

* July 2011 017.JPG (1448.55 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 384 times.)

* July 2011 020.JPG (1762.45 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 337 times.)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 05:22:58 AM by Taco » Logged
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 04:49:03 AM »

I have more pictures, but can't post them bc it seems there is a limit to two photos. ...

That is only because the software was crashing when we allowed more attachments. Just make back-to-back posts and upload as many pictures as you need.

StatFreak garfield
nlg  Global Moderator

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
Taco
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 05:18:19 AM »

Thanks..heres more pics

* July 2011 019.JPG (1520.83 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 358 times.)

* July 2011 023.JPG (1668.36 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 373 times.)
Taco
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 05:20:04 AM »

and the last two

* July 2011 029.JPG (1642.91 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 375 times.)

* July 2011 025.JPG (1467.82 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 297 times.)
channelmaniac
Surface mount soldering geek

Total Karma Storms: 568

Few things are better than fixing an old game...

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 12:39:24 PM »

If the fuses are blowing check for a bad short.

Desolder the horizontal output transistor, take it out of the chassis, and check it for shorts with your ohmmeter. If it's bad, then you might have a bad flyback too... Although I'd suspect the flyback too seeing that crack in the plastic on one of your pics.

I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

http://www.arcadecomponents.com
Firebird
Contributing Gold NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 5

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 11:25:14 PM »

I was thinking the same about the flyback, the crack coupled with the pic of the retainer being burned off.
Taco
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 02:55:48 AM »

Thanks everyone...

Im a newb at parts id, so could someone make a diagram with the parts and their nomenclature? Ive watched tons of videos and looked everywhere, and can't find that info anywhere. I've learned things like "HOT" meaniing horizontal output transformer, but identifying that part on the board, and how to use the multimeter to test it would be super. I love tinkering with these old games and getting them working, but I have to admit, i'm stupid on the use of the meter. For example...I wanted to build an ESR meter, so I bought the parts and built it, turned it on and it worked flawless, but tell me to check any of the components in it and i'd look like that kid that didn't study before the test.
I need the kind of help like heres a pic of what you are looking for, heres lead one,two,three now place your meter on ? and take the neg lead, hold it on ?, and take the pos lead to pins?, and if it reads?,then?....get my drift?
I'm sure that after I can learn whats what on these boards, then I will be ok.
I think someone would have a winning video on say utube if they took one of these boards and just started by naming each part from the power in side to the output of the flyback. I've watched countless hours of video trying to learn this, and just when they get to the meat of the board, they stop showing you anything, and then start talking like you already know how to fix it.

Now that everyone thinks i'm crazy...lol...does this board look savable? bc of the heated vertical output section?

Thanks everyone for your help Clap God Bless Our USA waving flag waving flag waving flag
channelmaniac
Surface mount soldering geek

Total Karma Storms: 568

Few things are better than fixing an old game...

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 11:46:51 AM »

HOT - Horizontal Output Transistor (not transformer) drives the FBT and gives you not only high voltage but also other sources of low voltage via taps off of it. Some other voltages it provides are: focus voltage and the voltage needed for the vertical deflection circuit

FBT - Flyback, Flyback Transformer

The HOT is usually a great big transistor on a big piece of metal that acts as a heatsink. They are usually very close (within mere inches) of the FBT. You can verify a big transistor is an HOT by either looking up the part # on it (http://www.datasheetarchive.com or http://nte01.nteinc.com/nte/NTExRefSemiProd.nsf/$$Search?OpenForm) or by following the traces it's soldered to as they will lead to the FBT.

I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

http://www.arcadecomponents.com
Taco
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 04:00:56 AM »

Thanks Hail
midas touch

Total Karma Storms: 4

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 11:01:20 AM »

Hey  Taco.....I've been following your post and Am right with you..I've had quite a bit of electrical training but very little electronics training...Enough to be dangerous. I went to hvac school so i know how to check caps and resistors ....you know the basics...any way keep asking questions and we are all learning from them......Mark

I have "THE MIDAS TOUCH". Every thing I touch turns into a muffler....
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.