Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 08:19:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S and S-plus Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  S PLUS BILL VALIDATOR DEAD
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: S PLUS BILL VALIDATOR DEAD  (Read 30178 times)
poppo
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 248

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2011, 03:07:22 AM »

Do you know the voltage from the output connector; the one that goes directly to the BV? Or, the input voltage to the power supply from the 9 pin connector? It might be easier to check that way.

Here ya go. Click on it to enlarge. The important pins are the 117VAC input, and the 12VDC output on pins 1 &2

* bv3.jpg (168.7 KB, 1449x766 - viewed 363 times.)
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 192

Insert Coin

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2011, 03:21:27 AM »

Not sure if I'm reading that right (and thank you, though!) - I'm not a real tech...I just can figure things out. I did check the input connector to the BV power supply and get nothing. I'm assuming it's a DC input, but I checked for AC also. I think I could have fried my multimeter if is was an AC input and was hot! I get nothing. I traced the harness down to the big power supply but not sure where to go from here. Sorry if I'm sounding uh...uneducated!

Just re-read your last post...good thing it wasn't hot! No AC input on the small power supply!
poppo

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2011, 03:34:58 AM »

Ok, check the output from the main power supply where the black and white wires are. Make sure that plug is seated. You should also be able to move it over to the next plug. Check your main power supply fuses too.

Make sure your meter is set right. You can check it by measuring a wall outlet for AC.

BTW, you won't hurt the meter by having it set for DC instead of AC. You just won't get a reading.

* IMG_1287.jpg (857.56 KB, 1536x1024 - viewed 314 times.)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 03:41:43 AM by poppo » Logged
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2011, 04:38:38 AM »

Before I got your reply, I realized that the 9 pin connector was reversible. It appeared I had it in backwards! I reversed it and the BV cycled. I had to run an errand and, when I came back, I smelled something BURNING. Now I have a 3300 error code and a bad smell. This is getting very frustrating. It clearly looked like the plug was reversed and, again, I heard the BV cycle! The smell appears to be coming from the main power supply but it's hard to tell. I am very bad at tracing smell locations.
The BV is now cycling but I'm getting an error code and the smell does indeed appear to be coming from the main power supply. I think I took something out when I messed with the plug. I wasn't using my brain and seeing which wires were lining up. I am 100% sure the power to the BV is fine since it's cycling each time I turn the main power on.
I'm getting a 3100 error code and the machine does not go through the usual start up cycle. I've killed my once perfectly working slot machine.
Shit!
This DBV would probably worked just FINE if I hadn't plugged the damn thing in wrong...twice! I've never seen a plug that was not generally fool proof. This one in particular can be plugged in wrong in two different positions.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 05:12:59 AM by shortrackskater » Logged
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2011, 05:29:33 AM »

Well I've killed the CPU. I did find the source...see the picture. I cannot believe I actually did this. One of the IC's is quite fried and the trace looks cooked beyond repair I believe - not sure.  I have no idea where to go from here now. Well, at least the bill validator cycles! Should I try and replace this fried chip or just get a new CPU board off Ebay?

* IMG_1294.jpg (404.45 KB, 1536x1038 - viewed 282 times.)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 06:09:57 AM by shortrackskater » Logged
poppo

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2011, 10:22:26 AM »

Well, IMO you should just get a new MPU. While that board may be fixable, there is a good chance there is more wrong with it than that resistor pack (besides the burnt traces).

That is RP4 that cooked and is shown below. Notice how it has the signals for coin in/out and the BV. That is most likely why you are getting the 3300. When you plugged that cable in backward, it probably fed the 117VAC into the wrong lines and thus the  Burning Resistor

I'm a little confused on when the BV started to cycle. Was it after the plug was put back the right way? If so, most likely it just was not seated good to begin with.

Note: It looks like the trace to pin 10 of RP4 is the most burt. And that is the BV in signal.

* bv4.jpg (30.71 KB, 412x156 - viewed 259 times.)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 11:13:25 AM by poppo » Logged
poppo

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2011, 10:51:29 AM »

On a side note, keep in mind that RP4 is just a resistor network and not an IC. Any incorrect voltage fed into it, would pass through it into the next components. That is why I don't think replacing just RP4 will fix the problem.  Also, I hate to say it, but it's possible that plugging that connector in wrong also did some damage to the BV head. It may cycle now, but there is a chance it won't work after you get the MPU issue resolved.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 11:05:24 AM by poppo » Logged
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2011, 10:58:47 AM »

Don't get too discouraged. Many of us at some point have killed our working machines. It's part of the learning process. The good news is that a replacement MPU board shouldn't run more than about $30. eBay is an option, but try posting a WTB post in the classifieds section on this site first and you'll get a better chance of getting a good board sent to you.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
poppo

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2011, 11:18:42 AM »

Many of us at some point have killed our working machines.

Yep. Sometimes several times.  knockout It's one of the reasons I look for good deals on craigslist. I've found it cheaper to buy a parts complete machine and strip it down for spare parts than to have to keep buying something everytime I  lightning bolt something.
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2011, 02:32:04 PM »

OUCH !!! That hurt. ...

Yeah...it hurt all right. I had gone across the street to help my neighbor UNLOAD A SLOT that I found for them. When I came back, that AWFUL smell was in my garage. I guess the saying is true "No good deed goes unpunished."
I still can't believe someone (IGT or the PS manufacture?) would design a plug that could be put in multiple directions AND would carry AC, capable of death to mpu's.
Thanks, though, everyone for the comments...it helps although I'm still ready to whack my head against the garage wall.

Moderator: Split discussion of the problem from the WTB and merged it with the original post. SF garfield
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 09:08:07 PM by StatFreak » Logged
poppo

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2011, 03:27:32 PM »

I still can't believe someone (IGT or the PS manufacture?) would design a plug that could be put in multiple directions AND would carry AC, capable of death to mpu's.

Can you post a closeup of the connector in the other thread? I don't recall ever seeing any of the plugs that didn't have a 'keyway' of some sort to prevent just that.
Slotmaster

Total Karma Storms: 172

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2011, 04:24:32 PM »

I got one for $35 bucks shipped, heck I will toss in a 16 MHZ with the 10 MHZ
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2011, 10:19:59 PM »

Can you post a closeup of the connector in the other thread? I don't recall ever seeing any of the plugs that didn't have a 'keyway' of some sort to prevent just that.

This connector did have a keyway. I just was using the wrong part of my brain to line it up. I lined up the two tabs at first then, somehow I reconnected it wrong again. I have no idea why I didn't look at the WIRES, which were color coded! Perhaps I should not drink while working on slots...but it wasn't that much!

* IMG_1296.JPG (199.95 KB, 1777x1026 - viewed 253 times.)

* incorrect.jpg (168.24 KB, 1647x940 - viewed 332 times.)
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2011, 10:24:18 PM »

...and finally, THIS would have avoided a burned out MPU board! I hope, maybe someone else new will learn from this and avoid some frustration.

* correct.jpg (203.81 KB, 1777x1026 - viewed 302 times.)
poppo

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2011, 11:16:49 PM »

Perhaps I should not drink while working on slots...

Besides for the locking tabs, if you look closely, the plastic housing around the center pins along the three of the four edges are shaped different. In theory, you should not be able to plug them together wrong. But given enough  chug, anyone can make a square peg fit in a round hole.

Tongue Out
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2011, 11:33:58 PM »

And I DID notice that before... and plugged it in anyway. I think the connector got "soft" over time as well.
I've ordered a replacement board that I should receive next week. I hope I can just replace the game and % chips and be good to go? Maybe?
poppo

« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2011, 11:40:08 PM »

I've ordered a replacement board that I should receive next week. I hope I can just replace the game and % chips and be good to go? Maybe?

Since you were getting an error code after the incident, it looks like the machine was at least trying to boot. So you should be good to go. You will get a 61 error when you plug in the new board, but that is normal. If it were me, I would pull the CMOS on the replacement board first, to make it lose it's memory (since it will have the wrong data anyway). That way on boot-up, you will get a 'clean' copy of the EEPROM to it (when you clear the 61).

Oh and don't plug your chips in backwards.   Tongue Out
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2011, 11:45:35 PM »

Where is that one? Well I have a manual...I can look there and see although I'm not sure if there's a schematic or block diagram there.
Now, how do I get the SMELL out of my machine and garage???  Scratch Head
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 12:38:44 AM by shortrackskater » Logged
poppo

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2011, 11:52:16 PM »

Where is that one?

Right next to the game and reel chip. It's marked CMOS on the board. It's the chip that is battery backed up and retains data between writes to the EEPROM. On boot-up the machine compares the EEPROM data to the CMOS and if they don't match, you get a 61. Clearing the 61 re-copies the data from the EEPROM to it. While not necessary to pull it, the data won't match anyway and you will get a 61. Pulling it for a few seconds basically erases it and there is less chance of getting stuck in a 61 loop (IMO).
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2011, 02:12:42 AM »

shortrackskater  (Mark)   I think I would take a close look at the plugs you said you plugged together backwards.  I don't think it's possible to get them wrong. The reason I'm saying this is maybe you have a different problem and maybe you will smoke the replacemeat board. I hope I'm wrong but make sure !!

Lacquer thinner will give a car that new car smell. Try wiping the inside of your machine with some, can't hurt.

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
poppo

« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2011, 02:16:24 AM »

shortrackskater  (Mark)   I think I would take a close look at the plugs you said you plugged together backwards.  I don't think it's possible to get them wrong.

Buzz,

He posted pictures above of how he connected them wrong. And smoke rose after it. Having that plug off by 90 degrees would put 115VAC on some signal lines. As I noted, the plugs are 'keyed', but the picture shows it can be done.

What does concern me is those signal lines also go to/from the BV head and it's possible that got cooked too.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 02:30:41 AM by poppo » Logged
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2011, 04:57:17 AM »

It still aggravates me that I simply lined up the two prominent tabs and just firmly pressed and the plugs meshed together. The first time (when I was troubleshooting) did not cause any damage...but the 90 degrees next switch was the "fryer." When I did get it correct, the BV did cycle and it kept doing it after powering the slot off and on multiple times after cooking. I just wanted to make sure I had really broken it! Even after that, the lights all came up, the reels aligned themselves, and the BV cycled as if it was waiting for money.
poppo

« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2011, 10:31:17 AM »

When I did get it correct, the BV did cycle and it kept doing it after powering the slot off and on multiple times after cooking. I just wanted to make sure I had really broken it! Even after that, the lights all came up, the reels aligned themselves, and the BV cycled as if it was waiting for money.

There is a good chance that this plug just was not seated good to start with, which was causing the initial problem of no power to the BV. Or maybe it was turned the wrong way, but in another direction and you just got lucky that it didn't cook.
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2011, 06:37:45 PM »

I think I had that plug in "wrong and wronger" all along.    Silly Me!
The new board is HERE already! I've replaced the game and reel proms. Lifted the CMOS from the new board for 30 seconds, then replaced it ...the CORRECT direction. I hope it's plug n play from here on. Only question is: what's U18? I am replacing from the old board to the new board as well, but I don't know what it does. It's located to the far left of the board, centered - with the volume pot at the bottom for reference.
Here's a picture of another source of SMELL. I just cut that part out and put some insulation material at the bottom and electrical taped the top.  Silly Me!

* IMG_1301.jpg (370.75 KB, 2221x1547 - viewed 279 times.)
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2011, 07:04:14 PM »

Everything is in...powered on - the BV cycled, the reels moved slightly but no initial cycle and no error codes. When I shut this off (after cooking) it did have an error code but now there's nothing. I checked the dip switches and sure the IC's were seated and in the proper direction!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.