Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:13:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Arcade Games, Pinball, Crane Games, Redemption Games and Other Stuff
| |-+  Arcade Games **Video**
| | |-+  Space Invaders (Taito) Power Supply Question
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Space Invaders (Taito) Power Supply Question  (Read 16151 times)
rilaw
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 17

An Addiction:)

« on: January 04, 2009, 02:01:51 PM »

Help I just picked up a Space Invaders Cocktail Table game which I believe has a bad power supply.  I have read that the ps's are junk in these old games and can be replaced with a switching ps.  I happen to have a brand new video game ps.  Does anyone know how I would wire this up to work???  I have the same machine and ps as the one pictured on the left in this link:

http://coinop.org/kk/si/

I have attached a pic of the new ps I have.

If anyone can help, TIA!!

* power supp.JPG (24.27 KB, 400x400 - viewed 709 times.)
channelmaniac
Surface mount soldering geek
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 568

Few things are better than fixing an old game...

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 09:01:47 PM »

The switcher outputs +/-5v and +/-12v DC and no oddball voltages so you should be fine hooking that switcher up in place of it.

The only hard part is the reset line is connected to the power supply. If the game works fine with the reset line disconnected then you are good to go. Otherwise you might have to connect up a resistor/capacitor combo to it to get the reset pulse.

RJ

I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

http://www.arcadecomponents.com
rilaw
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 03:08:22 AM »

The switcher outputs +/-5v and +/-12v DC and no oddball voltages so you should be fine hooking that switcher up in place of it.

The only hard part is the reset line is connected to the power supply. If the game works fine with the reset line disconnected then you are good to go. Otherwise you might have to connect up a resistor/capacitor combo to it to get the reset pulse.

RJ

OK, now how to I figure out which wires are which?  There are a lot going into this p/s...  I can't seem to locate a schematic for this Taito p/s anywhere.

Thanks a lot for your response btw:)
channelmaniac

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 05:41:45 AM »

I sent you an email with a manual attached. It's not the cocktail version, but the wiring diagrams and power supply hookups should be the same.

RJ

I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

cfh
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 113

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 10:07:18 AM »

On the original Midway space invaders, you can
not use a switching power supply. At least not easily.

There is a "sense" line on the original midway linear
power supply. And there's no way to replicate that
with a switching power supply. So basically you have
to use the original linear power supply on the Midway
version.

I don't know if Taito did the same thing. But i would
investigate that before you go cutting wires.

rilaw
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 12:59:08 AM »

Thanks guys, looks like I'm going to have to trouble shoot this ps and see if the caps need replacing etc...
PWRSTROKE
Resigned NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 246

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 01:10:59 AM »

I have had a butt load of arcades and pin's Before I ever joined this site.  Over the years I met a man that has again a "butt" load of arcades and pins.  He helped me when I was stumped.  I pretty much self educated myself with all these years ago.  But anyway when I was in a pinch I asked steve.  Steve has vertually any part you would need or game.  He has project arcades/pins etc. .  Please contact him if you would like. 228-424-0113.  He deals with ALL coin operated mech's -jute-boxes,very old vintage games and modern.  Just trying to help here as the fella has helped me a lot in the past with parts and advice.  He DOES not deal with slots as far as parts,buying selling goes.  Thanks B.
channelmaniac

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 04:12:02 AM »

I've been talking with him over email about this. I have several SI manuals but not a single one with this type of power supply in it. It's an odd duck.

I attached a picture of a similar unit.

RJ

* ps.jpg (39.84 KB, 640x290 - viewed 1205 times.)

channelmaniac

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 04:13:53 AM »

Can you give us a bit more information as to what the power supply is or isn't doing? It'll make the troubleshooting easier.

For example: is it blowing fuses? Is it missing a single voltage? Have you resoldered those connectors? Cracked solder on them is a common problem.

RJ

rilaw
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 05:47:11 PM »

Ok, sorry for the delay in response...  I don't have a pinout for the power supply, so I don't know where to tap in and test voltages..  The machine powers up with an oscillating siren noise coming from the speaker and the monitor displaying all white.  The machine will do nothing...  I bought another ps on ebay which looked nothing like mine, but had the same "A, B, and F" sockets.  I installed that ps and blew every fuse in the machine.  Soooo... if I had a pinout for the board I could check to see if the right voltage is there etc and maybe wire in my new ps.  I'm about to gut this thing and sell it all on ebay...   Help (I resoldered all the connectors which looked questionable)  I have a Space Invaders II manual, but my ps is not in it and the pinouts on the game board are different.  Following them I was missing +5v, but againn, the pinouts were not all the same...
stutrac
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 07:15:16 PM »

i have many old Midway games and i am unable to put switcher's in them too bad bawling , they are rebuildable yes so i would keep what you got and repair it,  you may swap it out for a working one if you are unable to rebuild it
rilaw
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 07:25:06 PM »

i have many old Midway games and i am unable to put switcher's in them too bad bawling , they are rebuildable yes so i would keep what you got and repair it,  you may swap it out for a working one if you are unable to rebuild it

I have seen a few Taito models on ebay with switching ps's in them...just don't know how to wire it in mine...
D_vader808
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 12:59:41 AM »

I sent you an email with a manual attached. It's not the cocktail version, but the wiring diagrams and power supply hookups should be the same.

RJ

Hi, can you send me same info.
I have same problem.
I have taito si cocktail color japanese version.
Thanks.
Aaablettt
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 0

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 11:19:45 AM »

There is a reset circuit available if you choose to go with a modern PS. The pinouts and the circuit is found on the following web page.
http://www.robotron-2084.co.uk/manuals/invaders/taito_space_invader_l_shaped_board_pinout.pdf
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.