Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 03:16:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S and S-plus Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  Reel Optics
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reel Optics  (Read 5489 times)
whinkle
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 5

V Rocks!!!

« on: August 28, 2011, 11:25:45 AM »

Where are the reel optics on an IGT S+ Slant Top?  I'm hoping mine just need cleaned.  I was getting a 41 code so I switched the reel with #2 and then got a 42 code.  I replaced that reel with a known working one and it worked fine for a few hours but now i'm getting a 41 code again.

I've also already put a new mpu board in it.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 11:42:46 AM by whinkle » Logged
poppo
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 248

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »

Just follow the wires. The ones that are not going ot the stepper motor are going to the optics.

Make sure the reel is not binding on something or you will get a tilt.
whinkle

V Rocks!!!

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 01:00:41 PM »

Does anyone have a picture as to what I'm looking for?  I still don't understand what I'm looking for Sad
poppo

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 01:06:56 PM »

Does anyone have a picture as to what I'm looking for?  I still don't understand what I'm looking for Sad

Front and rear view.

* reel.jpg (376.38 KB, 984x1350 - viewed 354 times.)
whinkle

V Rocks!!!

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 01:25:11 PM »

Thanks for the pic... that was a big help.  What do you suggest I use to clean this?  Also, if cleaning it doesn't end up helping, what else should I look for or do?  One of the things I have noticed is my bill validator door will easily pop open.  Could this cause a reel tilt?  I don't see anything interfering with the reels like wires or anything.
poppo

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 01:45:14 PM »

Just run a q-tip though the slot.

Make sure all of the pins on the reel cable connectors (both on the reer and coming from the machine) are pushed in all of the way.

If your BV door has a switch, I don't know it that would cause a tilt if it opened while the reels were spinning. Most people bypass the switch for home use.
whinkle

V Rocks!!!

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 01:47:23 PM »

Thanks... I will give that a try.  What is the best way to bypass the bv door switch?
poppo

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 01:52:59 PM »

What is the best way to bypass the bv door switch?

Just short the wires together and insulate. Now I am talking about the BV cash can dor switch, not the main door optics.

Usually it will end up looking like this.

* door.jpg (284 KB, 657x538 - viewed 321 times.)
whinkle

V Rocks!!!

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 07:04:31 PM »

Well, I cleaned the optics on the reel but still got the 41.  Move it to position 2 and got a 42.  I replaced the 1st reel with another 1 (3rd one so far) and so far it is working again.  The problem is, the last 2 did the same thing... worked for a while and then would come up the 41 again.  I'm running out of reels  arrow.  I'm at a loss as to what to try next.  I already put a new mpu board in.  Any suggestions anyone?  Could the harness that connects to the reel be bad?  If so, how hard is it to change?
poppo

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 07:13:39 PM »

Could the harness that connects to the reel be bad?  

Ok, let's look at this logcally

1. reel gives a tilt.
2. moving reel and the tilt follows reel, so reel appears to be the problem
3. a new reel does same thing after a while
4. MPU has been changed with same result

If that is all correct, then it 'could' be a bad wire in the harness shorting to something causing the optic to go out.

Have you double checked that the 'bad' reels still do not work (in the 3rd slot)?

It's not that hard to replace the reel harness. But I would inspect the wiring first.
whinkle

V Rocks!!!

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 07:19:01 PM »

I have not tried any of them in positon 3.  I stopped after the error followed on position 2.  What would I look for when inspecting the wiring?  Any other ideas if the wiring harness isn't bad?  I just don't know what else i can try  Scratch Head
poppo

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 07:29:29 PM »

I have not tried any of them in positon 3.  I stopped after the error followed on position 2.  What would I look for when inspecting the wiring?  Any other ideas if the wiring harness isn't bad?  I just don't know what else i can try  Scratch Head

Just need to double check that the reels are actually bad to help determine the cause.

There are not that many wires to the the harness, so you just look for wires that may be have the insulation cut (usually around where they are tie strapped to the chassis).

Here is the actual reel harness separated from everything else.

* harness.jpg (318.3 KB, 764x674 - viewed 317 times.)
whinkle

V Rocks!!!

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 03:48:30 PM »

Well, it played fine for the rest of the day, but when I turned it on today, it is giving me a Code 42 now instead of a Code 41.  Should I still try replacing the wiring harness or should I just haul it out to the dump?
poppo

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 03:57:03 PM »

Well, it played fine for the rest of the day, but when I turned it on today, it is giving me a Code 42 now instead of a Code 41.  Should I still try replacing the wiring harness or should I just haul it out to the dump?

Does the error clear by opening and closing the door? Did it do it when you powered up and it did it's maiden spin? Are you sure the reel connectors are seated good?

Did you ever try those 'bad' reels again? We need to know if the reels are actually getting damaged or if it's just an intermittent issue.
whinkle

V Rocks!!!

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 04:36:34 PM »

It does not clear by opening and closing the door.  It happens when it's powered up and on it's maiden spin.  The reel connectors are seated good.

I tried the bad reels again in my other slot machine and they both immediately came up with a Code 41.  Now the strange part... I put the original reel back into my other slot machine (which worked just fine) and now my working slot machine comes up with a Code 41, 42 AND 43.  First it comes up with a Code 41, I turn the jackpot reset key and the code goes away and the spin button lights up.  I push the spin button, they try to go around and then it comes up a Code 42.  I turn the jackpot reset key and the code goes away and the spin button lights up.  I push the spin button, they try to go around and then it comes up a Code 43.

So now I have 2 machines that aren't working and I don't understand why my good machine is doing that now when I put the good reel back in.... I'm so frustrated and confused.
poppo

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 04:42:04 PM »

First it comes up with a Code 41, I turn the jackpot reset key and the code goes away and the spin button lights up.  I push the spin button, they try to go around and then it comes up a Code 42.  I turn the jackpot reset key and the code goes away and the spin button lights up.  I push the spin button, they try to go around and then it comes up a Code 43.

Why are you turning the reset key? Reel tilt errors are cleared by opening and closing the door.

http://www.newlifegames.net/igterrors/
whinkle

V Rocks!!!

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 04:47:23 PM »

I only turned it because opening and closing the door didn't clear the error so I tried the jackpot reset key to see if that would.
whinkle

V Rocks!!!

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 05:27:10 PM »

Ok, I swapped out the mpu in my good machine and that one is working again so now I am left with my original problem on the other one.

By the way... Thanks Poppo for working with me to try and solve my problem.  I greatly appreciate it.  applause
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 05:32:33 PM by whinkle » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.