Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 10:43:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S2000 and Vision Games.
| | |-+  Igt S2000 sound problem - humming and static
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Igt S2000 sound problem - humming and static  (Read 122093 times)
idesign
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 509

If it aint broke why mess with it?????

« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2010, 08:37:29 PM »

Get a 504 MPU board and the noise goes away.
ichogger
Contributing NLG Member
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 3

« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2010, 09:15:52 PM »

Is it really necessary to put the resistors on all three speakers? Would it cause problems if I do just the left one?

Chuck
Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 751

« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2010, 11:12:27 PM »

Is it really necessary to put the resistors on all three speakers? Would it cause problems if I do just the left one?

All of them.  You need to maintain the sound level evenly.

If life is like a box of chocolates....why do I always seem to end up with the butter creme?
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2010, 01:14:32 PM »

Ichogger,
How's the sound on your machine now?
Did you ever check to see what board versions ( MPU, Multimedia, and AMP) you have?
ichogger
Contributing NLG Member
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 3

« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2010, 05:09:12 PM »

Haven't messed with it yet. Been sidelined the last month with a torn Achilles that I had to have surgery on, so I'm  not too mobile right now. It sucks too as I have lots of new goodies for the machines. I just finished giving them a good cleaning and putting led bulbs in all the buttons when it happened. I had just received a topper, insert and the lit up bill accesories to finish them off and sadly it's all sitting in a box waiting to go in. I've been able to play them a bit, just not work on them.

FYI, Eagle One Nevr-Dull in the automotive section at Wal-mart or at any auto store works wonders on the chrome of the machine, especially the dried gunk when you take the buttons out.

Chuck
cowboygames
Abbys Dad
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2010, 08:49:25 PM »

I've got a 504 rev A board with a 4402 rev A multimedia board and still get pretty good hum out of left speaker. I thought the 504(this one has the igt mod) wasn't as suseptable to this problem Scratch Head
Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 751

« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2010, 09:34:57 PM »

80% of the time I have seen improvement, not perfection, but improvement with a 504.  The other 20% of the time I notice no difference.  Why? Hell if I know.

If life is like a box of chocolates....why do I always seem to end up with the butter creme?
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2010, 09:49:58 PM »

seems to do fine on volume levels above 1, but big volume differance between 1 and 2. Might look for a trashed stereo receiver and use the volume control out of that on the input side of the amp.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2010, 09:51:12 PM »

I don't have a 504 MPU board of any revision and I assume that this was the
board that was revised by IGT to address these problems.
I can't help anyone there because IGT won't give me the time of day either...LOL
I would like to point out though that I had absolutely no sound whatsoever coming out
of my tray speaker a couple of weeks ago when I installed a different sound simm card onto the MML piggyback board.
I tried the pencil eraser trick on the tabs of the Simm card and reinstalled the card
and the machine restored it's full 3 speaker sound - along with the famous humming.
I soldered in the 47 ohm resistors inline with all 3 white speaker wires.
The machine sounds much, much better! Dancing Party
MrBellMan
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 153

Wild Thing!

« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2010, 11:39:45 PM »

I believe you need the 504B board. I have a 504A and I still get the humming/static sounds. 504B took that away.

Rob
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2010, 12:56:35 AM »

Go figure, damn IGT's got more revisions to their stuff than congress! bust gut laughing Crazy
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2010, 03:50:18 AM »

Go figure, damn IGT's got more revisions to their stuff than congress! bust gut laughing Crazy

rotflmao
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2010, 05:24:44 PM »

Does anyone know if the output audio going to the amp board in the top box is pre-amped. I grabbed a ground loop isolator from radio shack today and installrd it inline between the mpu and amp. It sure takes out reel hum and static, but kills volume level to bawling Gotta turn volume up to 10 to get volume level 1 audio levels. The reason I ask about pre-amplification is because the groung loop isolator package says not to hook it up directly to speakers. I assume it's a little power sensitive. Any ideas? Scratch Head
Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 233

« Reply #88 on: July 13, 2010, 03:16:20 PM »

So after reading this enormous thread, it sounds like the 504 B MPU is the long term fix for this issue correct?  Regardless of MML board, SIMM, amp, etc, the 504 B board will cure the buzz/interference problem and not require the implementation of resistors with the 3 speakers right?

If one chooses to pursue the resistor route, is the correct path to use 47 ohm, 47k ohm, or 10 ohm resistors?  Or does this depend on which version of board/'s you have?

I would gladly diagram this out in a flow chart, unless this is a complete "Your mileage may vary" circumstance. 

Thanks,
Jason

Yoeddy's IGT Slot Machine Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/Yoeddy1
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2010, 03:31:20 PM »

I'm holding in my hand a huge 5 watt, 27 Ohm resistor that works for me.
It's so heavy duty that it will probably outlast my speakers...  arrow
I was too lazy to drive to the store.
I had some of these laying around and soldered them in onto the white wires.
They work great on my machine!
The speakers sound awesome!
10 Ohms, 47Ohms try 'em...They will all work....some better than others.
Just remember to use the same ones on all three speakers!
Experiment.... yes propeller

Heck! Run the speakers into an amplifier!!! rotflmao

* speaker resistors 002.jpg (96.35 KB, 1987x1306 - viewed 315 times.)

* noisy.jpg (5.05 KB, 300x226 - viewed 675 times.)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 03:38:20 PM by stayouttadabunker » Logged
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #90 on: July 13, 2010, 09:27:05 PM »

Ok, not trying to burst any bubbles here, but all these fixes that seem to work are only masking a deeper electronic problem. This is fine, but I would think between us we could find the root cause. Obviously the humming is always there and when you spin the reels it gets worse. So the source of the problem would seem to be a bad or weak ground between the reels and the multi-media board where the sound comes from. I've got 504a boards with the IGT upgrade. All the jumper wires they add only look to try and improve grounding. I don't have a 504B board for comparison to see what they did differant and I don't have schematics to trace ground paths from the reels back to the mpu board. Has anyone tried tapping into the ground wires from the reels and going directly to the power supply with heavier wire or across a capacitor to ground? Maybe the problem backfeeds through the amp board power supply lines. A cap placed inline on the positive lead to the amp board would cure it in this case. Anyway, with the right tools and a little detective work we might be able tokeep this thread from going over 10 or 11 pages and put this thing to rest
Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 233

« Reply #91 on: July 18, 2010, 01:43:38 AM »

Radio Shack part number 271-1105 - 47 ohm 1/2W 5% Carbon Film Resistor did the trick for me per Bettor Slot's direction.  I put them on all three speakers (white wires).
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 07:01:08 AM by Yoeddy1 » Logged

Yoeddy's IGT Slot Machine Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/Yoeddy1
IFFV68
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 32

« Reply #92 on: August 03, 2010, 12:35:49 PM »

The 504-b board is the better fix. I have the top speakers with  resistors. It got rid of the  static. Then I got the 504-b from Rocky Mt. Slots, warranty. A full enhanced sound.
Please make sure your bottom speaker wires are separated. There are two terminals, each with two spades. If you by chance use the same two spades you will hear the reel spin noise. I know this sounds elementary but it has happened.
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2010, 01:16:01 AM »

I've got the 504 rev B boards, and on one machine there's a really bad, "whump, whump, whump" sound as the reels spin.  That game has a multimedia lite board installed, but there's no sound SIMM in it.

Is my problem that I still need to install 10 ohm resistors (even on the 504 B?), or is my problem that I have a MML board with no SIMM in it?

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
a69mopar
647-402-1977

Total Karma Storms: 600

« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2010, 01:55:43 AM »

why not try removing the MMLII board and try it.

w

www.GTASLOTS.com      647-402-1977              BALLY S6000 GALLERY
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2010, 03:27:18 AM »

Kevin  make sure one of the reel basket spokes isn't  hitting one of the backlit bulb holder. "whump, whump, whump"

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #96 on: September 28, 2010, 03:30:24 AM »

why not try removing the MMLII board and try it.

Well, I went in the other direction -- I had an unused DSV00042 in the third machine I bought (I haven't even turned that one on yet), so I "borrowed" that SIMM and put it in the whump, whump, whump machine.  The sound was really muddy at first, but then I went through and changed the settings to stereo, and enhanced reel spin sounds, rollup, etc.  Wow!  It's fantastic!  All the speakers work on that machine, and it sounds great!  I can hear just the slightest bit of "static" when the machine is idle -- I suppose a 10 ohm resistor along with a slight increase in volume would cover that up, but even right now it sounds fantastic -- I didn't realize that S2000 machines sounded that good!

On top of it all, while noodling around I got to hear quite a bit of the rollup tune, as I hit a 3000 credit award!  I took a picture and will post it in the 'best slot hits' category.

So, for what it's worth, on an S2000 machine with a 504 B board and a multimedia lite board with no SIMM, installing a SIMM will remove the whump, whump, whump sound.

It seems to be working fine, but how do I determine if I'm using the correct sound SIMM with my kit (it's a 2 coin White Stars game -- and I stole the SIMM from a 3 coin White Ice game)?

Buzz- Just saw your post as I was posting -- thanks for the suggestion.  It sounded like the noise was coming from the speakers, but now with the sound SIMM in there it's gone.

K+ to you and Wayne for the suggestions.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 03:36:00 AM by knagl » Logged

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
Karaoke Mike
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 273

« Reply #97 on: September 28, 2010, 03:33:04 AM »

I can visualize the sound effects. Great job Buzz. Seriously. K+

Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #98 on: September 28, 2010, 03:59:27 AM »

Kevin this is apples and oranges but the first Big Time Pay I got, it had the wrong sound simm in it. It made a Quacking sound like a Duck when a BTP symbol hit. Hit on the #1 reel and it quacked out of the left speaker. #2 reel out of the right speaker.  If you pressed the change button it would quack. I sold the machine to Ashyron he got tired of the duck and pulled he simm out.

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #99 on: September 28, 2010, 04:18:29 AM »

Kevin this is apples and oranges but the first Big Time Pay I got, it had the wrong sound simm in it. It made a Quacking sound like a Duck when a BTP symbol hit. Hit on the #1 reel and it quacked out of the left speaker. #2 reel out of the right speaker.  If you pressed the change button it would quack. I sold the machine to Ashyron he got tired of the duck and pulled he simm out.

Haha, funny.  Sounds like you had the Quack Shot SIMM.  Quack, quack.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.