Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 08:21:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S and S-plus Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  IGT *SLANT TOP* "DING DING DINGS" when door opened - normal?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: IGT *SLANT TOP* "DING DING DINGS" when door opened - normal?  (Read 8474 times)
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 192

Insert Coin

« on: August 31, 2011, 02:53:47 AM »

I have an IGT S plus slant top that is now working after my careless mistake caused parts of my MPU to fry and also caused damage to the hopper optics. All is repaired and working now but I've noticed something it didn't do before. When I open the top door, the machine "ding ding dings." When I close the door, it dings again. During the first set of dings, it registers up to 4 in the COINS IN area. Everything goes back to normal when I close the door. If there are credits, they are properly displayed. And, the COINS PLAYED is correct as well. Is this something normal? The only think I can think of is the alignment of the door. It was loose when I got the machine. I tightened it and it actually set the door slightly out of alignment. It closes okay now but I can feel just a little friction from the cash tray rubbing on something.
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 06:35:16 AM »

No, the machine should not ding when you open the door.  Based on the symptoms you've described, it sounds like the pseudo-coin button (the tiny white test button on the coin-in optics) is getting pressed (or the wires for that button are getting shorted) when you open your door. 

For kicks, once you've opened the door and you hear the dinging and see the Coins Played display increase, press the spin button and see if the reels spin.  If they do, then what I've described (the coin-in test button or its wiring being activated) is what's happening.  Very, very strange.  You're sure keeping us on our toes with your machine, shortrackskater!

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 07:11:55 PM »

Okay I powered on the machine...opened the door...it DINGED once and I was able to spin the reels. It hit a MONEYSTORM and "stormed," then paid off in the credit meter. When I close the door, that payout goes away entirely and it resets like normal. I opened the door again and discovered if I simply touch the brown colored connector, that it registers a coin in. I'll take the CC out and inspect that connector now.

Okay it DINGS whenever I just touch it...especially the chute that goes to the hopper. Just wiggling the thing makes it DING or DING DING DING. It will do a full three dings and it shows up on the COINS IN meter. Still goes away when I shut the door. Strange, again.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 07:21:43 PM by shortrackskater » Logged
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 07:33:11 PM »

It's shorting or grounding so that it triggers the pseudo coin pulse, as knagl suggested in his last post. Can you find the short?

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 11:49:40 PM »

I looked all around the coin comparitor...checked wires for any obvious shorts and plugged it back in. Realized if I just TOUCH the chute (to the hopper), or tapped the metal shelf in front of the CC, that it would DING or DING DING DING with three taps. I tapped the reel assembly frame and it would not DING. Took the CC assembly back out again and double checked the connectors and replaced it.
Now it WON'T do it at all. I've removed it and replaced it three times and can't duplicate the problem.
I think my machine is possessed...
Or maybe the repeated removal and replacement pushed *something* perhaps making contact with ground or another connector?
 Scratch Head
UPDATE: Just played for awhile...lifted the lid and it dings again with firm taps.
UPDATE 2: Wiggled the CC where it aligns with the right side of the chassis and got an error 21.
I'm going to eat now...back later to get back to this mystery.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 11:59:50 PM by shortrackskater » Logged
poppo
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 248

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 12:00:26 AM »

UPDATE: Just played for awhile...lifted the lid and it dings again with firm taps.

Maybe your test button is touchy. It's sort of sping loaded to stay off, but the movement may be making it make contact when jarred.

If it only acts up when opening the door, or tapping on things, might be best to leave well enough alone.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 12:02:03 AM »

I get a ringing sound in my ears when somebody
hits me on the head with a hammer.... 3 Stooges

Other than that...all is fine!  rotflmao
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 12:54:41 AM »

I'm ready to hit my head with a hammer...or maybe a bottle after I drink it.
 drinker
I removed the CC unit again...checked with a flashlight...blew some dust out of it, replaced it and now the problem is once again, gone. I think I'll just go back to cleaning the BV again.
poppo

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 01:08:24 AM »

I removed the CC unit again...checked with a flashlight...blew some dust out of it, replaced it and now the problem is once again, gone.

Keep in mind the CC is just for comparing the coins to your sample. The optics module below it is the most likely cause of the 21 error and the phantom credits.

Arrow is optics assembly and test button is circled. That connector above the button can also cause problems

* button.jpg (299.31 KB, 791x557 - viewed 286 times.)
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 01:15:50 AM »

Okay the picture confirms the placement of that cap from my earlier PM. There appears to be nothing obvious here unless I take that board apart...I think I'll just live with it. It worked last time. I'll put it all back in again and see what happens.
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 01:21:59 AM »

I can just touch ANYWHERE on the CC...I tried only touching the plastic and it didn't matter: DING DING DING. It will DING on the connector, or just outside of where the sample coin is...anywhere and DING! I am just barely touching too; I'm not even doing it firm enough to see any movement in the connectors.
poppo

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 01:29:19 AM »

Play with the test button to see how touchy it is. If you barely touch it and it adds a credit, it's probably got issues
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 01:33:29 AM »

It's not touchy at all. I pressed the button with a very narrow screwdriver to avoid any other contact. I get "clean" dings. I just noticed it's VERY touchy when I handle the wire bundle in the back. I'll check that for the third time.
poppo

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 01:36:12 AM »

Seperate the wire bundle if needed to check each wire. It's easy to pinch things putting in the CC.
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 01:43:00 AM »

I wiggled it and got the error 21 again. I've been able to clear it but don't know how I did...I keep forgetting if I press the white button or the key. I tried it all and it reset.
poppo

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2011, 01:46:08 AM »

A 21 error should just need to open and close the door to clear.
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2011, 02:15:41 AM »

I've wiggled and isolated all the wires involved with the CC. I see nothing, again. It's back in and not having the problem. I wish I could just "save as" and have this problem go away! I wonder if anyone else out here has had this same problem?

UPDATE: Played and played...opened and closed the lid repeatedly. SEEMS to be okay now...when I isolated the wires, I left them spread a little bit and didn't stuff them back against the CC unit. I probably should cut all the wire ties and check...sometime. But I think I'll just save that for a rainy day.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 02:52:51 AM by shortrackskater » Logged
poppo

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2011, 11:31:20 AM »

Those intermittent problems can be a pain. Sometimes it's best to just leave well enough alone if it's working. On the plus side, look at all of the 'fun' you have had working on this machine.  Tongue Out
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2011, 01:11:15 PM »

I can just touch ANYWHERE on the CC...I tried only touching the plastic and it didn't matter: DING DING DING. It will DING on the connector, or just outside of where the sample coin is...anywhere and DING! I am just barely touching too; I'm not even doing it firm enough to see any movement in the connectors.

I've wiggled and isolated all the wires involved with the CC. I see nothing, again. It's back in and not having the problem. I wish I could just "save as" and have this problem go away! I wonder if anyone else out here has had this same problem?

UPDATE: Played and played...opened and closed the lid repeatedly. SEEMS to be okay now...when I isolated the wires, I left them spread a little bit and didn't stuff them back against the CC unit. I probably should cut all the wire ties and check...sometime. But I think I'll just save that for a rainy day.

It's almost certainly a shorting of two wires somehow. Either nicks in the wire insulation or something shorting at the connector. That would explain why it was so touchy. Another option would be to replace the harness.

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
poppo

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2011, 02:49:00 PM »

Another option would be to replace the harness.

Do you know if a slant top harness is the same as an upright?
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2011, 04:32:47 AM »

I'd also like to know if the harness is the same as an upright...if anyone knows.
It's still working after my shifting it away from the coin comparitor housing. AND my BV is working fine now too...posted that in my original thread where this all happened. I have a completely working slant top Money Storm now...finally.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.