Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 09:11:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Bill Validators and Currency acceptors
| |-+  MEI Mars Bill Validators
| | |-+  VFM3 Acceptor Refusing to Take Bills
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: VFM3 Acceptor Refusing to Take Bills  (Read 23828 times)
rickb
« on: September 02, 2011, 04:43:34 PM »

I found this forum while Googling for mars bill acceptor support. Ken's advice on getting a bill acceptor to work with a Cherry Master led me to believe that you guys know quite a bit about my problem, so I'm hoping for some help!

I have a VFM3-series bill acceptor that I've cleaned inside and out (twice!). Belts, though not new, still have some tension. It's a 115V unit that turns on. Feed motor works in both directions, and the stacker motor functions as it should.

My problem is that the unit refuses to take a bill!
I can only get a bill to feed if:

• 1. Disconnect power to unit
  • 2. Push bill manually into slot until it stops
  • 3. Give power to unit

By doing this, the acceptor will usually take the bill part-way, then spit it back out. Only occasionally will it take the bill fully and dump it to the stacker.

What I've done to troubleshoot:

• -> Disassembled all components and cleaned each part (according to the manual and from my own inspection)
  • -> Followed manual-provided pin-out for hot and neutral connections (pins 4 & 6) to rig a standard outlet connection
  • -> Replaced magnetic sensor board with one taken from a used 24V model acceptor
  • -> Replaced optical sending board (at the mouth of the acceptor slot) with one taken from a used 24V model acceptor

I'm not sure how the feeder works, but my logic tells me that the optical sensors in the front act as a trigger to start the feeder motor so it takes the bill.

First, do I understand that correctly?
Second, what could be causing this problem?
Finally, how do I fix it!?

Any help is appreciated.
AnotherTech
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 10:32:33 PM »

NLG Welcome

"I'm not sure how the feeder works, but my logic tells me that the optical sensors in the front act as a trigger to start the feeder motor so it takes the bill." That is correct.

There are many reasons for a BV to be inactive.  Have you determined that it is the BV itself, or is it possible the machine is not ready to be played?  What kind of machine is it (such as IGT, Bally, WMS, etc. and what model)?  I'm not familiar with the specific BV you are asking about, but quite often the problem isn't the BV anyway.  The machine has to enable it, usually.

If it is the BV, it may not have the right software.
rickb
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 12:42:00 AM »

Thanks for the fast reply AT! After posting, I went back to the manual and saw that it describes the optical sensors initiating the feed.

Well, this unit is actually going into a MAME cabinet, so a PC is technically the machine. I'm only concerned with 2 of the pins on the 9-pin connector that give me pulses for credits. There is a DIP switch box inside the BV's main controller board that lets me configure how those pulses operate.

Another 2 pins are for my power, which are rigged up to a plug that goes right into an outlet. So there is nothing `enabling` the BV, except the power being fed to it each time I plug it in. So are you saying that a separate machine or controller has to give the BV instructions on how and when to operate?

If that's the case, then I may have to find a different validator for my solution.

This particular unit offers a serial interface, but I figured that without knowing much about it, it'd be a hassle to try to communicate via serial port.

I will also state that today I had another idea to try (which didn't work either). I read that many of these older BVs (mine has a stamped date of 1992 on it) don't recognize newer bills, so you have to buy a mod-chip to upgrade it. Well, my BV doesn't have that upgrade, but I happened to have a bill from 1985. I tried that, and still it wouldn't take the bill.

I then dismantled the unit, while leaving all components attached. With the optical sensor boards in my hand, I plugged in the BV, and tried to `break the light` between optical points. No success. Only if I cover one of the sensor points and THEN plug in the unit will it attempt to properly feed. Weird!

Anyway, I give all this information with the hope that you doctors out there can give the right diagnosis.

Any other thoughts?
AnotherTech
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 02:45:57 AM »

I've never dealt with a BV for MAME, so don't listen to me about the enable thing.  arrow  It's probably much different than slot machines.

Taking a bill that is half in when it gets power is probably just because of the power on self test it goes through, but I'm not sure.

Hopefully someone who knows more about it will jump in.  yes
rickb
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 01:37:42 PM »

Tongue Out lol, well I appreciate your input AT. I'll let this post be for a while and hope that someone else contributes.
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 01:47:31 PM »

I don't know about the internal programming and operation of DBVs to help either, but your power up tests would seem to prove that the hardware is functional. It's probably a matter of enabling the unit, but I don't know how to do that.

Slot validators use proprietary protocols that vary from machine to machine. You would probably have to send it the proper message over that protocol to enable it, but I'm sort of guessing here.

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
rickb
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 03:21:22 PM »

StatFreak,

After hearing all of this, now understanding that my BV might be dependant on a separate controller, I went back to the service manual for help. I'm using this one available on the Internet:

http://arcarc.xmission.com/PDF_Coin_Mechs_Etc/Mars/Mars_VFM1_and_VFM3_Series_Bill_Acceptors_Operation_and_Service_Guide.pdf

Pages 5 & 6 describe the types of interface available. While it doesn't explicitly say that the BV needs to be enabled by a controller, it DOES mention that a `Coin Changer or Electronic Controller` dispatches signals to the BV telling it that `the vending system is ready to accept money`. That sure sounds like an enabler to me.

One type of interface offered is an 18-pin serial port. The manual suggests using a Mars TRC-6800 Coin Changer device to communicate with the BV, but that's an expense for something that I wouldn't even use to its full potential (the coin changing component).

This might mean what I was afraid of--figuring out how to send a "system ready" signal to the BV via this serial interface. For technical information like that I'm guessing only a Mars technician would have some insight, since the manual is rather skimpy on how to program your BV in this way.

Well I thank you all for confirming some of my doubts, and getting me off in the right direction. I'll keep you posted if I have any progress with programming this thing. By the way, I've seen on this forum some people talking about special cabling that connects a BV to your computer for updating of firmware. Is there such a thing for this model? Also, is there such software that lets you tap into the PLC of the validator?

Thanks again for your help!
StatFreak

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 06:44:26 PM »

This might mean what I was afraid of--figuring out how to send a "system ready" signal to the BV via this serial interface. For technical information like that I'm guessing only a Mars technician would have some insight, since the manual is rather skimpy on how to program your BV in this way.

The S+ uses a set of protocols identified as ID22/23; the Bally S5500 uses ID044/045, etc. If your validator came out of a slot machine then it most likely uses one of the common slot-related protocols. I don't know anything about the MARS validators, but it will either be flashed or have an EPROM set for the protocol of the last machine it came from. I don't know where this chip is located in a MARS.

WHERE ARE ALL OF OUR MARS EXPERTS?

If you really want to tackle this you'll have to get some docs on one of the protocols and look into the structure of the code pulses sent and received to execute the commands that you need. You could then replace the EPROM or have your particular validator flashed with the protocol that you learned. Ideally, you would figure out which protocol is already in your BV and get info on the that one to avoid the need to change it.

There might be a sticker somewhere identifying the firmware.

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
StatFreak

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 06:50:40 PM »

An out of the box idea might be to see if there are less secure protocols for the unit that are used for vending machines instead of those used for slots. I really have no idea if the validator you have can use non-slot protocols or how you would get one, but it's a thought.

TZtech
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 129

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 07:44:24 PM »

Hi

From what I can see in the manual this is a vending product. VFM is the name of the product and also of the protocol which is propreitary to Mars.

A google search did not reveal any existing mame BV sollutions - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=80757.0 but you could confirm this with one of our Mame experts (Stolistic comes to mind)

The protocol is described as a simple serial pulse protocol so my guess would be that the enable line would have to be taken to a high or low TTL logic level to enable the BV on the enable input.

I did find some documentation on VFM4 which seems to be a bit more complex protocol - see attached.

Once you get it enabled you will also need some kind of interface that will translate the credit pulses from the bv to something that MAME will understand (There do seem to be general IO boards for MAME interfacing available) but again I would wait for one of Mame experts opinions.

Ian

* VFM4 SerialPulse.pdf (70.09 KB - downloaded 723 times.)
StatFreak

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 11:41:13 PM »

Thanks TZ.  +1 (Karma, or whatever)

Stat garfield

rickb
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 10:26:20 AM »

Thanks for your replies! I've been busy this past week with other things, but I was able to look into the VFM4 manual. I also did some general brushing up on data communications via serial interfaces.

I have yet to find a usable protocol that I could write to the BV, not to mention that I have to also invest in a RS232 cable in order to play around with it.

The good news is that the programming language Perl has an API for serial communications:
`Kludging the serial port`
http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=117455

Being a web developer, I have good background in the use of this language, so there is a chance that, after some studying, I can write something to manipulate the BV to take a bill and pulse on the credit line. Of course I'm being very hopeful.

Nonetheless, I'm excited about going deeper into this. Thanks to all for your advice. I'll follow up in a couple of weeks with any progress!

Ken Layton
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 88

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 04:57:57 PM »

I believe the VFM series needs to have an "enable jumper" assembly plugged into the 18 pin connector in order to accept any bills in an application such as yours.  This would be in a "stand alone" setup since it would not be in a vending machine.

Here is something like it:

http://www.capitalvending.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=3640&category_id=148

Suggest talking to Mars tech support:

http://www.meitechnical.com/index.xml
rickb
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 09:38:08 PM »

Ken, that's exactly what I've been hoping for. The product states that it works with a VN25XX, mine is a VFM series. I'll call MEI tomorrow for some insight.

If no avail, I'll continue down my rabbit hole of interfacing the BV via RS232 to a custom PC app.

Thanks for the tips!
rickb
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 06:58:50 PM »

[SOLVED*]

I called MEI today. Their veteran tech support guy, Rich, knew seemingly off the top of his head what to do. Here's a summary of what he told me to do.

The VFM3 was designed for vending applications, but but grounding the enabler lines in a high-level pulse mode, you essentially trick the unit into thinking it's ready. This is how the BV can be used in amusement/gaming applications. So, what you do it, on the side of the controller board you tie together pins 3, 4, 12, and 17 of the serial interface.

I haven't tried it yet, but when I get home tonight that's my first order of business. I'll reply with results later!  propeller
rickb
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2011, 01:52:11 PM »

Well, no dice. As it turns out, the above pin configuration was wrong. I called Rich back from MEI, and he told me to join pins 3, 4, 12, and 14. After doing this, it still wouldn't initiate a feed. So, to close this chapter, the BV will sit collecting dust until I make time to further troubleshoot. Thanks to all for your help!
Ken Layton
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 02:20:54 AM »

Here's a picture I found on ebay of the Mars VFM enable jumper connector.

* Mars enable jumper VFM series.jpg (66.5 KB, 800x600 - viewed 1024 times.)
rickb
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 12:07:09 PM »

Ken,

That's twice the pins being connected. Weird. I wanted to get a closer look at that picture, so I tried to search eBay for the same item and only found one result, `Mars MEI VFM4-R1 Main Board with Jumper.` (See attached picture). I can't tell the pin locations accurately from either of our pictures, but they both differ. Maybe the picture I found shows a jumper for a different purpose.

Anyway, I'll try to mimic what you've posted to see if it works for my BV, and respond with any results.

* vfm4-jumper.JPG (129.58 KB, 800x600 - viewed 790 times.)
Ken Layton
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 12:52:26 PM »

Try this auction listing instead:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/mars-dollars-bill-acceptor-harnessplug-arcade-game-part-AA30A-/160661810363?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256830acbb
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2011, 02:34:05 PM »

I don't know if this will help but I will verify that I have pins 3, 4, 12, and 14
jumped together and it works on my Mars AL-4 bill acceptor.

Maybe the 3, 4, 12 & 17 jumped pins are for your Mars VFM4?
Ken Layton
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 12:53:20 AM »

I've seen conflicting reports of jumpering together pins 3, 4, and 12 (of the 18 pin connector) from one source and jumpering together pins 3, 4, 12, and 14 from another source.

Ken Layton
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 01:49:19 AM »

Late model Williams pinball machines like Dirty Harry and Demolition Man were shipped from the factory with a "goodie bag" of spare parts & accessories. Inside that goodie bag is/was a jumper plug pre-wired for plugging into the black sidebox of Mars VFM series bill acceptors. This enables the bill acceptor to accept bills. The Williams part number of that jumper plug is 5797-13606-00.

Here is a picture of that jumper. I have verified that this wiring is correct and does indeed make the bill acceptor work properly & accept bills. There are only four wires and they are all tied together.

With the index or locking tab of the jumper pointing downward here is the wires to jumper (indicated by "O"). The "X" means nothing connected and is empty.

X X X X O X O X X
X X X X X O O X X

All of the "O" are connected together.

* VFM jump.JPG (52.76 KB, 640x427 - viewed 832 times.)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 03:09:39 PM by Ken Layton » Logged
Ken Layton
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 02:25:49 PM »

These are the Williams pinball machines this jumper plug was shipped with in the goodie bag:

AFM, CC, CP, CV, Congo, Corvette, DH, DM, FS, I500, IJ, JB, JM, JY, MB, MM, NBA, NF, NGG, Pinball_Circus, Popeye, RFM, RS, SC, SS, STTNG, SWE1, Shadow, TAFG, TZ, ToM, TotAN, WCS, WD

A link to buy a ready made jumper:

http://www.pinball.co/Products/12094-5797-13606-00.aspx
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 02:56:29 PM by Ken Layton » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.