Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 08:20:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S and S-plus Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  Good one ! S+ MPU kills batterys Fast
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good one ! S+ MPU kills batterys Fast  (Read 5844 times)
coorslight115
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 79

« on: September 03, 2011, 02:48:09 PM »

Heres a good one guys.

I have a 10Mhz S+ MPU board that when you install a new battery it will play fine. No errors or problems.
As long as you leave the machine on it is fine.
If you turn off the machine and return in an hour or so it has no display at all. Reels are stiff. Reset does nothing. If you pull the MPU and test the battery it has less than 1 volt remaining. This was a brand new battery. It you install another battery the board works fine.
We can rule out everything else in the machine because it works perfectly with other MPU boards.
I am using the same SS and SP chips from the other boards.
I have swapped out the Sound chip, Dallas clock/cmos chip, CPU chip. No change.
The best part is it will kill the new battery sitting on the bench out of the tray.
No repairs have been made to the board, no burnt traces, no corrosion from old batteries, not shorted to the tray.

Any ideas

Also...never get a error 12 for the dead battery.   Scratch Head Scratch Head Scratch Head
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 10:02:02 PM »

I would take a look at the S+ MPU schematics and locate something very nearby
that may be shorted before the signal for the low voltage is sent out.
I honestly do not know what actually sends out the low voltage [21] error code
but I would suspect that whatever IC component performs that voltage check routine -
is the source of the problem?  Scratch Head
One thing for sure - the problem lies on the MPU board somewhere!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 11:30:04 AM by stayouttadabunker » Logged
coorslight115
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 10:31:07 PM »

The fact that the problem occurs with only the MPU board laying on the bench, You managed to narrow it down to the MPU board.....thank you Bunker!! I would have never guessed that Cry Laughing Silly Me! Silly Me! Silly Me!

Only kiddin!

Strange problem for sure

cowboygames
Abbys Dad
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 11:24:19 PM »

If it's killing the battery that fast then something on the board should be getting warm. Granted, coin batteries don't have a lot of power behind them, but I'd use a finger to see what's to warm to be right. Maybe something stuck under the coin try or a bug shorting a connection. Hard to say
coorslight115
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 12:14:19 AM »

If it's killing the battery that fast then something on the board should be getting warm. Granted, coin batteries don't have a lot of power behind them, but I'd use a finger to see what's to warm to be right. Maybe something stuck under the coin try or a bug shorting a connection. Hard to say

It is a 1/2 AA battery. Goes dead out of the tray and very clean top and bottom. No bugs or debris. Nothing warm at all. Removed one lead of the battery and put a volt meter in series to measure draw. Nothing removable changed the reading
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 12:40:05 AM »

You might try putting a meter lead on the positive battery tab and check it to ground in diode scale, see if it tones. Or throw the board out, they're cheap rotflmao
Tilt
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 366

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 12:58:13 AM »

It sounds like the battery is providing power to more than just the CMOS RAM/Clock like it normally would.  More like it's powering (or trying to) the entire board.  What's the history with it?  Worked fine and just started doing it, or used board but new to you?

poppo

Total Karma Storms: 248

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 01:18:29 AM »

On a S+ the battery does 2 things. It provided backup for the CMOS via a set of diodes. It also goes into a 3302 comparator. This chip compares the battery voltage to the +5v and when there is a big enough difference it sets the low bat signal which then triggers a 12 error.

See the attached schematic. It's possible CR14 is bad, and as mentioned above the battery then tries to power the whole MPU. To test this, use a good battery and with the MPU out, see if you have battery voltage between ground and both sides of CR14.

* battery.jpg (96.25 KB, 526x473 - viewed 262 times.)
poppo

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 04:51:06 AM »

After re-reading the original post, I would look hard at the diodes. You won't get a error 12 unless the MPU actualy boots first with a low battery and if the diode is bad, the now dead battery may be pulling down main voltage. In any case, I would look close at CR14, CR15 and U65.
coorslight115
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 12:16:39 PM »

After re-reading the original post, I would look hard at the diodes. You won't get a error 12 unless the MPU actualy boots first with a low battery and if the diode is bad, the now dead battery may be pulling down main voltage. In any case, I would look close at CR14, CR15 and U65.

Thanks Poppo for the suggestions, will try them later today and post back

Also the board history is un-known. took it in as a core when I sold someone another MPU.
coorslight115
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 02:37:24 PM »

Good catch Poppo.  CR14 conducting both directions. Now I have to dig around and find a IN4148 in my collection of stuff.
Tilt
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 366

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 12:47:06 AM »

A shorted CR14 diode will allow the battery voltage to power all the +5v components, and kill it really fast as you've seen.  Good call Poppo.  If you don't have a 1N4148 a 1N914 should work fine too.  They're both very common switching diodes.
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 02:55:14 AM »

An NTE519 will do it to. That's the ECG cross
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 11:26:53 AM »

I knew that if I steered someone like him in
the right direction - he'd find the problem.... Cry Laughing

Okay, okay...maybe saying that the problem layed on the MPU was a little vague but
I did mention that it could be an IC component on the board schematics...!! bust gut laughing

I DO have a question though...what IC component triggers the low battery voltage
and how does it tell the MPU to send out a [21] low battery error code?
poppo

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 11:58:24 AM »

I DO have a question though...what IC component triggers the low battery voltage

U65 It's a comparitor. It gets a reference voltatage on pin 6 and the battery voltage on pin 7. If the difference is too great, pin 1 goes low and sends the low battery signal. The processor then gives the error 12.

* low bat.jpg (263.63 KB, 1251x585 - viewed 292 times.)
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 03:43:09 PM »

U65 It's a comparitor. It gets a reference voltatage on pin 6 and the battery voltage on pin 7. If the difference is too great, pin 1 goes low and sends the low battery signal. The processor then gives the error 12.

Oh! That's fantastic info Poppo! Thanks
I wish I knew about how IC components work like you guys!  Hail  yes
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.