Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 04:54:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  **Reel Gaming Machines** **General Chat**
| | |-+  Cure for edge connector trouble
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cure for edge connector trouble  (Read 2080 times)
jbshocks
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 21

« on: September 23, 2011, 08:59:59 PM »

I have a CEI machine that I got going that has 3 edge connectors.  I cleaned the connectors with a brass brush and contact cleaner when i first got it going (per Uniman's tutorials on universals)  Since then the machine has worked pretty good but would get random reel errors which were quickly reset as well as occasionally stopping a reel in the wrong location.  I decided to try deoxit contact conditioner on it to see if it helped.  http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1609/.f?sc=2&category=292  The machine now seems to be trouble free.  I would recommend this to universals with there troublesome edge connector or any other main boards.  Radio shack has a small aerosol can of the stuff but this tube is much more cost effective. 
uniman
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 695

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 11:26:30 PM »

Gonna have to try that. Thanks for the tip.

I took a backplane apart awhile back to see if I could find the problem and think I found it. The backplane has a two piece pinch like connector. The top part has a small tab. When you pull off the gray plastic cover (not recommended) the two metal pieces are pinched together. When the cover goes on the tab on the top piece rides in a track and it pulls the two pieces apart. But it pulls them too far apart leaving very little area for contact. I experimented by removing the keepers holding the gray covers and pulled them up about 1/8". Then glued a piece of plastic under the gap between backplane and gray cover to hold gray cover in place. This brought the two metal pieces closer together but a little deeper in the connector but when the board was connected it was a tighter fit. I was really excited as I thought I found the fix. Put the backplane in a machine with one of my more finicky boards, one that needed a wiggle and a push to get a good connection, and it still needed a little help as coins dropped thru the comparitor when first connected. But it was better. Just not perfect. Haven't had a problem with it since.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.