Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 07:14:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  NLG Members who host their own Repair Logs of Various Games.
| |-+  RickHunters Computer Help 101 (Moderator: rickhunter)
| | |-+  How did I open this window in FireFox?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How did I open this window in FireFox?  (Read 9431 times)
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« on: October 02, 2011, 09:02:17 AM »

I was typing a reply to a thread and pressed something that opened a split text box screen that displays client runtime code for .NET, Cascade Style Sheets, Java Script, and Web Developer. It apparently also allows commands to be entered.

It's really cool, but I don't know how I opened it. bawling bawling  I'm almost certain that I pressed <Ctrl> something. but... Scratch Head

Does anyone know how I did this or what the window is called so I can search the internet to find out how I did this? I don't want to close it now because I'm not sure I'll be able to figure out how to get it back. I'm using FireFox v 4.0.1

Pictures attached.

Stat garfield

* Programming and runtime window in FF 4.0. pic 1.jpg (309.56 KB, 1280x797 - viewed 404 times.)

* Programming and runtime window in FF 4.0. pic 2a.jpg (591.57 KB, 1280x797 - viewed 387 times.)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 09:10:07 AM by StatFreak » Logged

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
StatFreak

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 09:27:38 AM »

Okay, I figured it out. It's called the Web Console and it's accessed by pressing <ctrl><shift> K.

That makes sense since I was typing the word keno. arrow  Silly Me!

It's interesting to see how many calls there are to load one page, even if it's not the portal with all of the extras on it. The Web console opens a separate instance in each browser tab so one can monitor any client side activity on any site.

Clicking on any of the links or underlined actions displayed in the window opens a popup that gives more detailed information on that action. yes I can even open the style sheet with the error (css 535) and see all of the code in the script.

Yet another vindication of my decision to chuck IE in the bin two years ago! rotflmao

SF garfield

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
StatFreak

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 09:48:44 AM »

<ADD> Between this tool, the DOM inspector, View Page Source (also avail in IE), and the Page Info popup, Firefox offers users access to just about everything a website is doing on their machine and then some.

The Page Info security tab states that I've "visited" NLG  31,101 times. I REALLY didn't need to know that.  Duh! Silly Me!  Help Help Help
 Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing

On the serious side, there doesn't seem to be any real rhyme or reason as to the way FF figures out that number or how often it's cleared.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 08:01:12 PM by StatFreak » Logged

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 12:20:58 PM »

Hmm...I can get the window to pop up no problem but mine's blank?

* blank window using CTRL-SHFT-K.png (53.42 KB, 800x570 - viewed 347 times.)
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 12:23:02 PM »

oh! It populates once I enter a post!!!

* populated window once posting something.png (55.45 KB, 800x570 - viewed 359 times.)
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 12:32:25 PM »

even cookies have ID's ... rotflmao

Look at this address line in the window! 
It's almost like they understand what new life games is all about! Tongue Out 
I highlighted it in blue, just click on picture to enlarge...>>>

Connection:keep-alive
Host:newlifegames.net

* keep NLG alive!!!.png (70.41 KB, 800x570 - viewed 345 times.)
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 440

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 04:40:42 PM »

Okay, I figured it out. It's called the Web Console and it's accessed by pressing <ctrl><shift> K.

That makes sense since I was typing the word keno. arrow  Silly Me!

It's interesting to see how many calls there are to load one page, even if it's not the portal with all of the extras on it. The Web console opens a separate instance in each browser tab so one can monitor any client side activity on any site.

Clicking on any of the links or underlined actions displayed in the window opens a popup that gives more detailed information on that action. yes I can even open the style sheet with the error (css 535) and see all of the code in the script.

Yet another vindication of my decision to chuck IE in the bin two years ago! rotflmao

SF garfield

That's the old "error console" enhanced. Bummer it's only available in FF4, I'm one of the folks that reverted back to 3.6 after I upgraded to 4 so I don't get to use it.

Thanks,
Bill
StatFreak

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 08:06:27 PM »

That's the old "error console" enhanced. Bummer it's only available in FF4, I'm one of the folks that reverted back to 3.6 after I upgraded to 4 so I don't get to use it.

The error console is still available and really isn't the same thing (at least not when the Web Console is compared to the current version of the EC). This documents every single data request and post (send) whether there is an error or not. yes

brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 440

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 03:46:04 AM »

The error console is still available and really isn't the same thing (at least not when the Web Console is compared to the current version of the EC). This documents every single data request and post (send) whether there is an error or not. yes

From the horse's mouth... https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Using_the_Web_Console

"Beginning with Firefox 4, the old Error Console has been deprecated in favor of the new, improved Web Console. "

Thanks,
Bill
StatFreak

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 08:34:08 PM »

From the horse's mouth... https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Using_the_Web_Console

"Beginning with Firefox 4, the old Error Console has been deprecated in favor of the new, improved Web Console. "

Well, here's the old error console, alive and kicking in FF 4.0.1, and I didn't re-enable it as they described below.

Note: The Error Console is still available; you can re-enable it by changing the devtools.errorconsole.enabled  preference to true and restarting the browser.

* FF 4.0 error console.jpg (439.74 KB, 1280x800 - viewed 394 times.)

knagl

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 11:02:28 PM »

I'd just like to note, SF, that I approve of the fourth tab you were viewing in the first picture.  Smiley

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
StatFreak

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 03:32:01 AM »

I'd just like to note, SF, that I approve of the fourth tab you were viewing in the first picture.  Smiley
I should hope so!  Crazy frying pan Weird Eyes Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing  Oddly enough, it's the fourth tab in the second picture, too.  rotflmao rotflmao rotflmao

P.S. I apologize for not being active this month.

knagl

Kevin

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 06:26:14 PM »

No need to apologize.  Visit when you can.   yes

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
StatFreak

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 06:41:31 PM »

I just don't have that much to contribute since I don't keep up on all of the coupons and happenings.

CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

Total Karma Storms: 622

I haven't met a Jackpot that I didn't like!!!

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 07:00:08 PM »

No need to apologize.  Visit when you can.   yes

I just don't have that much to contribute since I don't keep up on all of the coupons and happenings.

I'll have to keep my eye out for coupons... are they in the mail or the paper??? Crazy Crazy Crazy Cry Laughing Scratch Head Scratch Head Scratch Head

CH CaptainHappy

Come sail away, Come sail away Come sail away with me..
StatFreak

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 10:15:11 PM »

I'll have to keep my eye out for coupons... are they in the mail or the paper??? Crazy Crazy Crazy Cry Laughing Scratch Head Scratch Head Scratch Head

CH CaptainHappy

Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing

I know that Kevin was just waiting for someone to bite so that he could plug his forum!  Tongue Out Tongue Out

I'll plug it for him:

http://lvadvice.com

He's using the same SMI forum software we are – although without any customizations – so navigating the forum should be easy for anyone here. He's trying to do what Joey did in that he's created a new version of an older forum in an attempt to stop member bashing and other typical negative behaviors. As with us, he's got a couple of problem members, but most members are friendly and there's lots of good information for anyone planning a trip to Vegas.

Stat garfield

CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

Total Karma Storms: 622

I haven't met a Jackpot that I didn't like!!!

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 07:55:47 AM »

And here I was thinking it was some joke that I really did not get, but wanted to participate in regardless! Crazy

I went back and looked at the pictures and figured it out after zooming in quite a bit. Silly Me!

I was just a little confused....

CH CaptainHappy

Come sail away, Come sail away Come sail away with me..
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2011, 06:56:31 PM »

I'll plug it for him:

http://lvadvice.com

He's using the same SMI forum software we are – although without any customizations – so navigating the forum should be easy for anyone here. He's trying to do what Joey did in that he's created a new version of an older forum in an attempt to stop member bashing and other typical negative behaviors. As with us, he's got a couple of problem members, but most members are friendly and there's lots of good information for anyone planning a trip to Vegas.

I have a few mods installed (like the one that turns YouTube video links into embedded videos within the post), but no portal or arcade or anything.  I'm following the KISS principal over there for the most part.  Smiley

One of the "problem kids" left which caused the others to stop fighting, so it's actually been pretty calm and Vegasy over there, which is just how I like it.   yes

StatFreak

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2011, 08:01:11 PM »

...One of the "problem kids" left which caused the others to stop fighting, so it's actually been pretty calm and Vegasy over there, which is just how I like it.   yes

Cool Thumbs-Up  propeller

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.