Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:57:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Progressive Controllers, Displays and Slot Toppers
| |-+  Mikohn Progressive Systems.
| | |-+  Mikohn EP900 (CON1?) Standalone Connection/Configuration
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mikohn EP900 (CON1?) Standalone Connection/Configuration  (Read 2561 times)
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« on: October 14, 2011, 06:53:52 AM »

Hi, all.

I figured I'd document this in case someone is looking in the future.

I had a stand-alone Mikohn controller from a friend and fellow  nlg member sitting in a box for a while that needed to (hopefully) be re-programmed.  It had never been working since he got the machine (and in fact didn't work for the previous owner, either).  It turns out that the power supply had fried, and a new(er) power supply borrowed from a Mikohn Supreme fit the bill perfectly.

Once it was plugged in, the following appeared on the display:

(The "EMPTY" message is then all that would appear even after powering the sign off and back on.)

I had a devil of a time connecting to it, as I was using PSP and selecting "OLD" from the menu.  (I've only worked on ChamII+ controllers before and that's what you use to connect to them.)  I had pretty much given up and had packed the thing back in its box when I found a tiny little tidbit in this post.  In order to connect to these things, you need to select "CON1" as the connection type in PSP.

I suppose I should back up a step.  To connect to this controller, you need a computer with an available serial port (and an operating system that will let you get at it), a Mikohn-jumpered cable, and the PSP software.  All three of these things have been covered multiple times in multiple threads here in the Mikohn section of the site, so I'm not going to re-invent the wheel.  I'm lucky enough to have a hand-me-down Windows XP laptop that I've dedicated to Mikohn stuff, and a serial cable that I modified so it will connect to Mikohn controllers.

Once I connected via the CON1 setting, everything was a breeze, and I never had any issue with losing communication, even an hour later as I was tweaking stuff!  I was able to send jackpot information, fix the currency and decimal point placement, send messages, etc.  In the messages screen, number 5 (jpot.do) is the primary jackpot display.  I suppose at a minimum you'd need a New Paragraph symbol, a Jackpot Token, and the number 0 to make it display the jackpot.  You can add text effects (like Dance or Paint) to make the display come alive.  I chose Dance, as Paint was REALLY SLOW.

I used Jack1.do and Jack2.do for a couple of simple messages -- the first one scrolls and says, "SPIN THREE JACKPOT SYMBOLS TO WIN..." (and then shows the progressive dollar amount again when it scrolls off).  The second one says, "Good Luck!" and uses the throb feature to make the text animate a little.  Those messages cycle through every minute or so, and alternate with displaying the jackpot amount.

I did not choose to use message 6 (mess.do), but of note if you do, you HAVE to also enable it on page 2 from the main menu (Jackpot Summary screen) by pressing F3 on that screen to toggle the option from ---- to MESG.  Also, "If you select MESG, the MESS.DO message will cycle or display on a CHAMELEON after being an idle state for two minutes." -- that means, no coin-in or anything for two minutes.

Of course, I don't have the machine here to plug 'er in and make sure that the machine is incrementing the display, but the darn thing looks good and should be good to go.   yes

Here's a picture of the board I was working on -- click on it for HUGE version of the picture with some nice detail.

* EP900.jpg (806.6 KB, 3264x1840 - viewed 382 times.)

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 01:05:46 PM »

Excellent post knagl!  applause
I'd like to point out to anyone with one of these controllers to be very careful around the right hand side of it.
The 10 transistors near the flat ribbon cable get really hot!
I slightly burned my hands on those once! Yowzer!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.