Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 08:22:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S and S-plus Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  Am I missing a chip or not?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Am I missing a chip or not?  (Read 4905 times)
modessitt
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 5

« on: November 03, 2011, 05:11:35 PM »

I have an IGT board here I pulled from a slot that the customer said "didn't work".  Battery was dead, so I brought it back to the shop to put a new battery on it (she had another S+ board that needed repair, too).  I'll take clear chips back out just in case I need them, but I was noticing something on the board.  I think this is an S+, but might just be an S.  There is a label on the board that says MB67790 75505704 Rev B 2/94.  There is another label that says 75505704 Rev A 0194 PCA. 

Anyway, normally I see a chip in the GAME ROM socket with an SP number, and a chip in the REEL ROM socket with an SS number.  But this has an empty REEL ROM socket, and the GAME ROM socket has a chip that say SS105.

I'm pretty sure the lady said the slot worked before going out, so I don't think anyone would've removed a chip and moved the other, so I just want to make sure this is the way it's supposed to be before I drive all the way back out there (over an hour one way).  If I need an SP chip, I'd like to know now.

Thanks...
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 05:46:13 PM »

I think this is an S+, but might just be an S.

Anyway, normally I see a chip in the GAME ROM socket with an SP number, and a chip in the REEL ROM socket with an SS number.  But this has an empty REEL ROM socket, and the GAME ROM socket has a chip that say SS105.

Does it say "REEL ROM" or "REEL PROM" on the board?  Does the board require you to attach wiring harnesses to it by hand, or does it plug in and out by simply removing the tray with the handle on it?  What is the game theme?

If you don't know if you have an S or an S+ board, please post a picture of it and we can help you.  Do any of the chips start with the letters "RS" on them?

Please Post Pictures

The only mention of SS105 that I could find was this post which was for a S machine (Double Diamonds with a RS3438 chip also in the board).

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
coorslight115
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 79

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 06:34:07 PM »

This is what S and S+ Mpu's look like.

The chip (1chip) should read "SS105, MECH RS3438, 12/12/90 (1-256), @IGT L91-00. "
if it has the OEM lable,

Never tried a S chip in a S-Plus board...Might be why the jumper is there.

I have that chip. I might have to try it and see.

* s-mpu.jpg (58.34 KB, 500x389 - viewed 288 times.)

* splusmpu.jpg (199.45 KB, 786x466 - viewed 282 times.)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 06:46:03 PM by coorslight115 » Logged
modessitt

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 01:17:45 PM »

Ok, it's definitely an s+ board, but it only has the one chip. that chip has the RS3438 and other numbers you mentioned.   It does have the jumper on 15/16, but so does the normal s+ next to it.

Oh, and it does say REEL PROM, sorry.

Wel, fixing to head out. If there is a problem, I'll know soon...
knagl

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 04:53:03 PM »

You might be okay.  RS chips are "all in one" chips that essentially contain the SS and SP chip info.  If you do indeed have RS3438 then it's a Double Diamond, the exact same chip discussed in the thread that I linked to.

It's odd that it's going in an S+ type board, but we did see this once before recently with the Colossus machine thread where he had a S-style "RS" chip in the GAME PROM socket, and an empty REEL PROM socket.

Based on that and the information you provided, I'm willing to say that you're not missing any chips for this particular machine.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
coorslight115
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 79

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 09:48:18 PM »

Ok, it's definitely an s+ board, but it only has the one chip. that chip has the RS3438 and other numbers you mentioned.   It does have the jumper on 15/16, but so does the normal s+ next to it.

OK, confirmed!

I just burned a SS105 or a RS3438 (same chip) Installed only ONE chip into the Game socket of a S-plus MPU and it worked. Reel chip socket empty !!

I did notice that when you turn it on for the first time you get the usual 61 error. Pressing the button makes the 61 go away...NOT change to a 61-1. Display goes blank, close door and machine spins up and works. NO turn of the reset key.

Hope this helps even though it is a day late.

So the use of RS chips working in a S-Plus MPU with no reel chip needed verified again.
modessitt

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 12:06:27 AM »

Thanks, guys.  It worked just fine...
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 02:46:04 AM »

Good testing job Coors!  yes Kudos!  applause
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 03:59:47 AM »

OK, confirmed!

I just burned a SS105 or a RS3438 (same chip) Installed only ONE chip into the Game socket of a S-plus MPU and it worked. Reel chip socket empty !!

I did notice that when you turn it on for the first time you get the usual 61 error. Pressing the button makes the 61 go away...NOT change to a 61-1. Display goes blank, close door and machine spins up and works. NO turn of the reset key.

Hope this helps even though it is a day late.

So the use of RS chips working in a S-Plus MPU with no reel chip needed verified again.

Did the validator work? I'm guessing that it didn't.

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
modessitt

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 08:55:15 PM »

This particular machine did not have a DBV...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.