Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:46:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Video Slots** Gaming machines
| |-+  IGT PE and PE Plus Poker Games.
| | |-+  EEPROM DEVICE Error
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: EEPROM DEVICE Error  (Read 6821 times)
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« on: January 18, 2009, 12:44:09 AM »

Does anyone know specifically what the PE+ error "EEPROM DEVICE" means?

My hunch is that perhaps I have a bad or loose solder joint on my motherboard, as I've been intermittently getting this error, mostly when I've removed and replaced the MPU board (causing the motherboard to rattle around).

After several power-ups with CALL ATTENDANT - EEPROM DEVICE, I turned the machine off and gave it the "technician's tap" -- I banged away on the side of the cabinet a few times near the motherboard.  I powered it up again and it worked  arrow.

I ran into this yesterday when swapping boards, and today once even with the set chip to enable the validator -- I got "REMOVE SET CHIP - EEPROM DEVICE".

Anyhoo, any thoughts on what I should do (or should I just live with it)?  FWIW, I have a bartop drop in PE+ non imbedded BV with the slant type motherboard/MPU tray configuration (model 367OC).

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
Stolistic
Contributing Gold NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 188

Resistance is futile. You will be emulated.

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 12:59:20 AM »

From my discoveries with MAME, the EPROM DEVICE error comes up when there is a failure to Read or Write to the EPROM located on the backplane.  The system does a simple "discover" method to test the game type on the eprom device against the one in the battery backed cmos ram.  When they differ you get the "GAME TYPE" message.  Its during this process that you most likely get your error.

So, I would definitely suspect an issue with a bad solder joint around the area of the eprom since you are able to sometimes recover from it.  Otherwise I would suspect the eprom device itself, but seems less likely with what you are reporting.  The eprom is usually soldered directly to the backplane instead of using a socket.  If you do end up playing with the area, it may be worth dropping in a socket.
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 01:48:06 AM »

If it makes a difference, the message is definitely "EEPROM DEVICE" (two "E"s) -- that is the one on the motherboard/backplane, yes?

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
Stolistic

Total Karma Storms: 188

Resistance is futile. You will be emulated.

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 02:14:44 AM »

If it makes a difference, the message is definitely "EEPROM DEVICE" (two "E"s) -- that is the one on the motherboard/backplane, yes?

Correct.
Rep
Mr. 5 of a kind

Total Karma Storms: 18

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 05:04:08 AM »

Sounds very much like the data error I was and am getting. Hopefully I'll get that resolved soon, it was intermittent then last week I couldn't clear it. I'll be checking the motherboard out and see Smiley
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 07:12:41 AM »

EEPROM DEVICE and EEPROM DATA are two slightly different error messages.  From the manual:

EEPROM DEVICE: Either the processor could not successfully "read" from or "write" to the EEPROM.

EEPROM DATA: EEPROM data is invalid.  Either the EEPROM has failed or there is no EEPROM data.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 08:26:13 AM by knagl » Logged

Rep
Mr. 5 of a kind

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 06:13:18 PM »

Oh absolutely they're different errors. I just found it odd how yours was kinda intermittent here and there much like mine but mine turned unclearable. Just sounded familiar though different, I was getting mine here and there on power up and would clear it, or even occasionally after a handpay jackpot. I still haven't really gotten into it yet I wanna go the whole 9 yards, label my plugs and thoroughly check the board when it's out. Just odd 2 of us would have a possible motherboard problem at once, the PE+ has been an absolute tank since I got it, VERY reliable. Just saw some similarities tho 2 different errors, anyway hopefully we're both back up and 100% soon Smiley
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 07:51:18 PM »

Indeed.  These things are tanks (my S+, too) - just eventually age will get to them.  yes

Rep
Mr. 5 of a kind

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 08:21:43 PM »

This is true my friend, age does do it's damage. Luckilly parts don't seem too too crazy to get a hold of especially as they phase PE+'s out more and more for Game Kings. As long as the parts are there we'll keep em running forever!
lemans1969
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 113

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 09:44:17 AM »

I know this probably sounds crazy, but since they are bartop drop in units, you may want to check behind the motherboard and make sure you have no coins back there causing it to code out. Since everything "drops" and "spills" on those units, alot of times, coins get behind the motherboard and causes the machine to act crazy.
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 08:33:29 PM »

Will do.  I need to take the motherboard out anyway if there is a loose solder joint on it, so I can certainly check for any loose parts or coins at the same time.  Thanks for the tip.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.