Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 06:19:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S2000 and Vision Games.
| | |-+  My cure for noisy s-2000 backlight reels,What do you think of this?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My cure for noisy s-2000 backlight reels,What do you think of this?  (Read 4591 times)
novao65
Contributing NLG Member
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 28

« on: January 19, 2012, 09:34:07 PM »

The first thing you need to understand is that I play my machine with all the sounds turned off(boss said I had to). When I installed a triple dollar with the nudge feature it made terrible grinding sounds when it nudged. After reading a number of posts I knew that the reel strips were amplifying the reel motor sounds. I had S+ strips in the reels, which I made into back light reels and thought maybe that it was the s+ strips, but I put in a regular back light  reel with s-2000 strips in them and it made the same sound. Non back light reel worked fine but I wanted back light. So after looking at the way the back light reels were designed there is not much support for the motor side of the reel allowed the reel to vibrate on the nudge, I used what is in the pictures below. It is rope caulk which is soft and workable and installed it on both sides of the reel baskets sealing the reel strips to the reel basket. The reels are super quiet now and I have used them for about three weeks and the caulk is staying in place. I have used this caulk around the house and it is still workable after 10 years of very hot and very cold days that we have in Wisconsin. I did buy new caulk for this project not the ten year old caulk in the garage. So what do you guys think?
I thank everyone for all the help in the past and I will need some more help with the candle with the bottom light staying on all the time. Will make another post for that.

* P1020842 (800x600).jpg (101.64 KB, 800x600 - viewed 273 times.)

* P1020844 (800x600).jpg (97.88 KB, 800x600 - viewed 270 times.)
Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 233

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 10:19:57 PM »

Ahh, the art of sound dampening.  Great idea!  Thanks for sharing.

Jason

Yoeddy's IGT Slot Machine Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/Yoeddy1
lindam1
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 168

When you're out of Quarters, You're done.

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 10:27:46 PM »

I'm gona try that next time it's off for relamping. That wiil be soon as I have about 7 lamps out now. Where can I get the rope caulk??

If it ain't broke....Stop trying to fix it.
novao65
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 10:34:26 PM »

I got it at Menards  for 1.89 for Thirty feet, I think any hardware store would have it. Got this picture on, do not know how to get it off. Sorry. Have to go out as a big snow storm is coming tomorrow.
Everyone have a good night

* P1020853 (800x600).jpg (128.05 KB, 800x600 - viewed 249 times.)
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 01:26:02 AM »

Great tip Nova!  applause Kudos + to you!  yes

I'd like to try that to mine but I don't want the caulk to stick to my strips forever...
I'm an avid "gamechanger" and I'm constantly switching out game kits.

Is your caulking "inside" the slot of the baskets where the strips are in?
Will the caulk come off easily from the strips?

If not, how about some very tiny foam-like material?
Sort of like the stuff they use for windows?
It probably can very easily be trimmed to fit?
Would that work?
novao65
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 07:01:33 PM »

You put the reel strips in normally and then put the caulk under where the strip and the basket meet,right where it is already in the slot. You then form the caulk, just like silly putty to the strip and the rim of the basket and forming it to make sure that the back light symbols are not covered on the edges. Make sure that you hold the strip on the top of where you are working as you can push the strip out of the grove, it will push back into the grove but if you do not see it, it will hit the glass and reel tilt. I use my forefinger to hold the strip and my thumb to mold the caulk to the basket and strip. The caulk comes off real easy with just rolling it with your fingers. If you ever played with silly putty you will understand my bad try at explaining how to install it. This putty does not get hard like silly putty does after a time exposed to the air.
Here is the best picture of the caulk that I have now. It is called rope caulk.

* P1020845 (800x600).jpg (101.9 KB, 800x600 - viewed 256 times.)
IFFV68
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 32

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 11:33:47 PM »

Looks like a great idea,
I'm also a avid game changer like Bunker & it drives my wife & Foster crazy.
If I find any noise reels I may give it a go.
R.
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 12:33:15 AM »

Many years ago when I worked at a Ford dealership we called it Monkey Shit.

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
PWRSTROKE
Resigned NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 246

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 02:56:20 AM »

Still pretty much called that from one senior to a former. B.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.