Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 01:21:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  NLG Members who host their own Repair Logs of Various Games.
| |-+  RickHunters Computer Help 101 (Moderator: rickhunter)
| | |-+  WINDOWS XP - how to speed it up
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WINDOWS XP - how to speed it up  (Read 6124 times)
FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 323

Me at work

« on: January 23, 2012, 02:31:01 PM »

i haven't had to fix a pc in years - spoiled myself when I went APPLE - using a friends HP PC while on the road and it is XP op system. keeps getting memory warnings - machine is SLOOOOOOOW.   In prior versions of windows you could do a ctrl alt del or something to see what was running in background and was hogging the machine.  There are icons on the top right but I feel there is something else that is slowing this guy (and sometimes locking up)????   
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 05:04:28 PM »

You can still do Ctrl+Alt+Del to get to the Task Manager, which will show you what processes are running and how much memory they're using.

What icons are in the top right corner?  There's the system tray in the bottom right corner (typically), but there usually aren't icons in the upper right corner.

Depending on if your friend has anti-virus and/or anti-spyware software installed, the computer could be infected with malware/spyware and/or viruses which could slow the system down.  There are tons of free spyware removal tools out there (Spybot Search & Destroy and Malwarebytes' anti-malware come to mind for starters) which can give some good results.

If there's nothing or little of significance on the computer that needs to be saved, sometimes the fastest way to repair the system is to save any important files to a USB drive and then do a full drive format and re-install of Windows, which will resolve just about any malware/spyware/virus issues.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member

Me at work

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 06:29:47 PM »

thank you - task manager only shows task and what is running - no usage figures - the icons on the top right "volumn" "safely remove hardware" "quick time" to name a few - the is a icon that shows cpu usage which shows low usage of 11% or so.  They do have norton utilities - I will run a scan and see what gives = memory warnings are the symptom so maybe they do have an infection.  thanks.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 07:04:45 PM »

Whenever I get infected with something...I like to back up all my files to a thumb drive
and format the hard drive, re-install windows and throw my stuff back in from the thumb drive.
The trick is to remember to back up stuff first though before the hard drive dies... Duh!

I've had to do it twice to a 12 year old XP computer.
I think I got my money's worth outta that puppy! lol

Cloning is no good because it brings all the junk onto your new hard drive...better to start fresh, like new!

knagl's suggestions are good but get these anti-malware fighting stuff from reputable websites like PCWorld.com
NEVER click on an ad...always go to original downloads!
jbshocks
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 21

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 08:29:09 PM »

I am unclear on the type of mem errors you are seeing.  It is possible the disk is near full which will slow things way down.  Prior to running malware bytes and search and destroy as mentioned do a disk clean up and delete unused files.  If you can't  clean up 20% of the disk then un install some apps. 
poppo
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 248

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 08:46:52 PM »

thank you - task manager only shows task and what is running - no usage figures -

You should see something like below. It should be showing memory usage. If you click on the CPU tab, it will sort the items by CPU usage. Often you can see what it using a lot of processor time. I suggest downloading something like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The free version does a pretty good job of finding crap.

* taskmanager.jpg (104.64 KB, 514x453 - viewed 386 times.)
FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member

Me at work

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 09:47:37 PM »

can't find task manager but did find SAFETY and found they hadn't cleaned browsing history for YEARS - it ran for hours before i stopped it - will try again over night but that would be an issue.
proten

Total Karma Storms: 210

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 10:03:44 PM »

A good program to clean up a computer is " CCleaner"
The C stands for crap and it's free.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

One step at a time.
jbshocks
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 21

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 10:04:54 PM »

use ccleaner to clear browser history if it doesn't on its own.  You can also boot into safe  mode for clean up which often will allow things to work that wouldn't before.
zarobhr
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 178

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 10:28:37 PM »

also when using ccleaner be sure to run several times until it says there are no erros

poppo

Total Karma Storms: 248

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 10:29:56 PM »

Be a little careful with ccleaner. Only select one item at a time for it to analyse, and do the registry backups it prompts you to do each time. Then reboot before doing the next section. Better safe than sorry. I've had it remove stuff it really should not have.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.