Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 01:35:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Video Slots** Gaming machines
| |-+  IGT I-Game and Game King.
| | |-+  Rookie questions re: inserting IGT I Game eprom backwards
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rookie questions re: inserting IGT I Game eprom backwards  (Read 15465 times)
Mojomoe
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 3

« on: January 25, 2012, 04:16:26 AM »

Hello everone, 

I am a long time Pinball collector (Mainly Electro Mechanical and some digital ) that is learning about IGT I GAME Video slots, and I have 2 queston on a stupid mistake.   

I recently purchased a IGT Texas Tea I Game, and have enjoyed the heck out of it.   I purchased an additional 3902 board and GameKing V 4.0 software eproms and simm kit.   Upon installing it the Gameking eproms, I installed the first of 4 emprom backwards (halfmoon marking facing wrong way).  Duh!     When I powered it up, all I got was a bunch of colored lines & snow...   The Texas Tea software on the other 3902 board works fine and the game still plays great with no issues.

My questions are: 
1)  Is that particular eprom pretty much toast and would there be potentially other damage to some of the other components?   
2) Did I fry the complete set of Gameking software or are some of the eproms and simm memory cards still salvageable?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Moe
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 05:03:04 AM »

Have you tried it with the EPROMs inserted correctly?

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
Mojomoe

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 06:10:36 AM »

Once I realized my mistake, I did re-insert the eprom correctly, but it made no difference... still getting same lines & snow..      Here is what it looks like now..     Scratch Head

* Backwards eprom.JPG (290.25 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 393 times.)
Belbtech

Total Karma Storms: 42

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 11:01:09 AM »

Normally when any IC is inserted backward the internal connections, components, & gates are fried as soon as any power is applied to the IC (the power was applied to ground & vice-a-versa).  I've never seen any other component outside the IC fry...all damage should be internal to that particular IC.

Everything should be good to go besides the one inserted backwards.

Everyone on this forum has probably done the same thing...I know I have a few times...usually when I'm in a hurry...

Good luck with your game & God bless,
Mike><>

For God so loved the world...John 3:16!
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 01:30:48 PM »

I label mine with thermal paper labels.
I stuck this puppy in backwards on an S+ MPU eprom socket one day.
Look at how the heat changed the color of the label and it was only in there for about 5 seconds.
It stays on my bench as a reminder... Tongue Out

* Fried Chip.jpg (433.5 KB, 2576x1932 - viewed 427 times.)
Mojomoe

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 02:41:13 PM »

Thank you both Belbtech & stayouttadabunker for your input and advice.   it's good to know that I am in good company..   Hail

Now my next step is to find or locate (if possible) a replacement eprom.   [ GME1  1 0f 4 G0004857 ]   or this will be the "sacraficial" GameKing software set to remind me what NOT to do moving foward.

Thanks again

See photo below.

* Gameking-2.JPG (68.66 KB, 800x423 - viewed 448 times.)
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 02:46:30 PM »

Peel up the label where it says "Do Not Copy" and see what numbers are on it and post back.
At that point, you can place a WTB (Wanted To Buy) ad in the "Classifieds" section of NLG -
hopefully a member will see your ad and get in touch with you!  yes
Mojomoe

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 02:54:25 PM »

Thank you for that tip stayouttadabunker!!!    i really appreciate all of the help. 
 wave

Best regards,

Mojomoe
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 03:24:15 PM »

What I'm going to say here is more of a question than a statement.

I've never seen Game King chips labeled like these 4. 1 of 4, 2 of 4, 3 of 4 & 4 of 4  is normal   but 1 of 4 & 2 of 4 have always been the CG chips. Also I have always seen one pair thats labeled PXL 1 & PXL 2  I have never seen 4 Game chips.  Why would IGT label them all game chips when it's printed on the boand that 2 are CG 1 & 2 , PXL 1 & 2, & GME 1 & 2   Scratch Head Scratch Head

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 04:24:57 PM »

What I'm going to say here is more of a question than a statement.

I've never seen Game King chips labeled like these 4. 1 of 4, 2 of 4, 3 of 4 & 4 of 4  is normal   but 1 of 4 & 2 of 4 have always been the CG chips. Also I have always seen one pair thats labeled PXL 1 & PXL 2  I have never seen 4 Game chips.  Why would IGT label them all game chips when it's printed on the boand that 2 are CG 1 & 2 , PXL 1 & 2, & GME 1 & 2   Scratch Head Scratch Head

WOw! That's more confusing than Foster's posts on SAS implementation... arrow
You've certainly got a handle on those puppies Buzz! Nice!  Hail
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 05:03:12 PM »

Bunker   Something just isn't right with these chips.  Have you ever seen a original IGT chip that didn't have the chip size printed on the label? These look like the phony labels that JJ Slots sells on ebay!!   OK where do you install 4 game chips when there are only 2 sockets for game chips? As I recall GME & PXL chips are M27C801 and GF are M27C4001

I think my point is, does Mojomoe have a bad chip, or does he have the chips installed in the wrong sockets?  Good chance he destroyed the chip by installing it backwards but I've done the same thing with no ill effects. ( The other day I put 3 new reel strips on reels, when I put them in the machine the strips were upside down S**t happens )

CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

Total Karma Storms: 622

I haven't met a Jackpot that I didn't like!!!

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 08:29:22 PM »

Buzz,

There actually are several games that have 4 GME chips, and they are installed as in the picture Mojomoe posted. GME 3&4 go into PXL 1&2 respectively. Attached is a Picture of IGT originals of Neon Nites, less the sound SIMM. Genuine IGT chip labels that I have seen do have the chip size, and more importantly a faint blue IGT logo in the background. That does not mean that there are not other genuine labels of course.

CH CaptainHappy

* 2012-01-25_14-13-38_5-1.jpg (415.42 KB, 1152x2048 - viewed 1051 times.)

Come sail away, Come sail away Come sail away with me..
CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 08:37:23 PM »

Buzz,

I forgot to say this is Neon Nites... Here is some official info that talks about where to put the 4 chips. I am pretty sure the 3902 manual says something about this too. I am not sure if I have a 4 GME set that also has multiple PXLF chips to see how they are labelled?

CH CaptainHappy

This should also answer Bunker's question about 4MB Eproms as it lists those as well, but that is another thread! Hijack I Jacked my own post! Cry Laughing

* 2012-01-25_14-32-17_125-1.jpg (320.57 KB, 2048x1152 - viewed 1236 times.)

Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 233

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 11:45:08 PM »

Is his game actually a GK 4.0?  If it is a combo EPROM/SIMM game it's not.  GK 4.0 would be all EPROM and chip based consisting of:

CG1 1 of 4
CG2 2 of 4
PXL1 3 of 4
PXL2 4 of 4
GME1 1 of 2
GME2 2 of 2
SND1
SND2
Base

EPROM/SIMM combo themes can have 4GME or even 2GME EPROMs with the rest of the components consisting of SIMMs depending on the game. 

I suspect his game is a GK 5.x if he has SIMMs as well.

Jason

Yoeddy's IGT Slot Machine Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/Yoeddy1
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 12:04:27 AM »

Well I thought a 4.0 was eprom, but The Skipper has already smacked my dilly- wackier so I'll just shut up.   Sorry! Sorry! Hail Hail arrow arrow

Mojomoe

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 05:43:29 AM »

Thank you CaptainHappy, Buzz & Yoeddy1 for your responses..

I honestly don't know the "exact version" of GK I have , and so I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.   
Here is a picture of the complete board.  It does have simm cards in addition to the eproms.

Thanks agian for all of the help.

Mojomoe

* GameKing-3902 board.JPG (187.61 KB, 800x601 - viewed 409 times.)
CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 08:52:41 AM »

Well I thought a 4.0 was eprom, but The Skipper has already smacked my dilly- wackier so I'll just shut up.   Sorry! Sorry! Hail Hail arrow arrow
Buzz,
I was just answering your question, if I was smacking you it would have looked like this:  Spank slap Cry Laughing

CH CaptainHappy

CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 09:05:53 AM »

Thank you CaptainHappy, Buzz & Yoeddy1 for your responses..

I honestly don't know the "exact version" of GK I have , and so I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.   
Here is a picture of the complete board.  It does have simm cards in addition to the eproms.

Thanks agian for all of the help.

Mojomoe
Mojomoe,

Based on your Game Chips that is Game King Version 5.0M I can't red the picture to see the other chip numbers. THe baase chip will be Mxxxxxxx and the SIMMs will be Cxxxxxxx, except for the sound SIMM which will be DSSxxxxx.

If you have a moment you may want to post the numbers for the benefit of others who read this later.

CaptainHappy CaptainHappy

So Buzz, see you were right that 4.0 is eprom!!! applause rotflmao

Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 03:07:45 PM »

Well I thought a 4.0 was eprom, but The Skipper has already smacked my dilly- wackier so I'll just shut up.   Sorry! Sorry! Hail Hail arrow arrow
Buzz,
I was just answering your question, if I was smacking you it would have looked like this:  Spank slap Cry Laughing

CH CaptainHappy

Skipper   It's just the Bunker syndrome, " Open Mouth, Insert Foot "

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2012, 03:41:19 PM »

Skipper   It's just the Bunker syndrome, " Open Mouth, Insert Foot "

I've grown to to appreciate the taste of shoe leather... bust gut laughing
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.