Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 05:18:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Video Slots** Gaming machines
| |-+  IGT I-Game and Game King.
| | |-+  IGT I Game Little Green Men - Monitor touch screen problem
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: IGT I Game Little Green Men - Monitor touch screen problem  (Read 20453 times)
Mojomoe
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 3

« on: February 25, 2012, 06:50:24 AM »

Hello,   

I just aquired a IGT I Game Little green Men.   When it boots up, it shows the following errors & photo of the screen is below:

Touch screen communication error
  Operator must set accounting
  Denomination Value
  Options verification required
  Bill Validator comm failure

In addition, the screen does not respond to the touch.   I tried resetting by turning the Key and I am able to get through to screen temprature sequence,  but when it comes to touch screen calibration, the "dot" never shows up on the screen.

What I am trying to do is narrow down the problem from either a bad monitor or a bad touch screen board... but I am not sure what is the next proper step in troubleshooting this issue. Scratch Head

I tried using the LGM board (3902) inside a Texas Tea cabinet and it came up perfectly...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

* IMG_7924.JPG (92.02 KB, 800x602 - viewed 627 times.)
Jimise
Don't pick it up by the candle!
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 75

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 05:17:28 PM »

Have you tried the key 22 clear chip to try and reset the machine?
Mojomoe

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 09:47:21 PM »

Thanks for the tip Jimise,   

After replacing both of the I/O cards which didn't any differnce which known good I/O cards from Texas Tea chassis,    I then used the key 22 and tried to reset the machine,  however after re-installing the base chip back on the board, the monitor will not even come back to life...   The machine completes the boot up cycle, but no monitor display at all.   

I then took the 3902 board and placed it in Texas Tea chassis and it works perfect.   

My gut feeling is that I have a bad monitor....  is there any other tests I can perform prior than swapping out the monitor (which I plan to do anyways) ?

Thanks agian

Moe
kforeman
Today...Slot Tech Tomorrow...Still be a Tech
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 42

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 02:37:06 PM »

you probably have either a bad touch screen or a bad touch screen controller.  once you get the touch screen problem fixed you can continue your setup and get the game back to playable.

Now You're Techin'!!!
cowboygames
Abbys Dad
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 02:40:43 PM »

Is there a touchscreen setup menu that's accessible from the main button deck? My reel touch machines have done this before and I could go through a setup from the main button deck, that's why I ask. I don't have any I-games and don't know if they work that way or not
Mojomoe

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 04:57:54 PM »

I appreciate your input kforeman & cowboygames.   I will try to check the touch screen & the controler to see if that helps.

And to cowboygames response,  I have tried every switch inside the cabinet, but could not get the touch screen to respond.

Thanks & I will post my findings once I figure this out.

Moe
Tilt

Total Karma Storms: 366

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 05:19:44 PM »

You have a problem with your Netplex communications bus.  That's why you have a bill validator communications failure too.  The touchscreen, bill validator, and printer (if you have one) are all netplex devices. Try removing the bill validator and see if that clears your touchscreen error, if not, try the printer next.  Netplex communications do not go through the IO cards, so those are not your problem. 
kforeman
Today...Slot Tech Tomorrow...Still be a Tech
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 42

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 05:26:52 PM »

You have a problem with your Netplex communications bus.  That's why you have a bill validator communications failure too.  The touchscreen, bill validator, and printer (if you have one) are all netplex devices. Try removing the bill validator and see if that clears your touchscreen error, if not, try the printer next.  Netplex communications do not go through the IO cards, so those are not your problem. 
Agree with Post
good catch Tilt, a netplex device issue is another strong possibility. yes

Moe you mentioned that you have another IGame, power down and pull the t/s controller out of it and try it in your LGM machine.  if that doesn't help swap the entire monitor to verify the touch screen itself.  always power down when swapping components to avoid voltage surges. lightning bolt

Now You're Techin'!!!
cp
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 165

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 05:59:07 PM »

My first guess would be the  Touch Screen  controller... ( rectangular (green)  board  mounted on the inside frame of the  Monitor. )  All your tilts  show up when you cannot / and did not   set denom, game etc  in your initial setup.  Either sitting there for some time and you couldn't get the TScreen to respond the machine goes  past the settup and  all your tilts show up.    If you have a known working  monitor  great.    If you change out the  TS controller...   there are  2 different types.  (just match same to same)  otherwise it's a long and winding road to  swap controllers  with different connectors.    Good Luck.
Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 751

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 06:08:50 PM »

My first guess would be the  Touch Screen  controller... ( rectangular (green)  board  mounted on the inside frame of the  Monitor. )  All your tilts  show up when you cannot / and did not   set denom, game etc  in your initial setup.  Either sitting there for some time and you couldn't get the TScreen to respond the machine goes  past the settup and  all your tilts show up.    If you have a known working  monitor  great.    If you change out the  TS controller...   there are  2 different types.  (just match same to same)  otherwise it's a long and winding road to  swap controllers  with different connectors.    Good Luck.

Agree with Post

If life is like a box of chocolates....why do I always seem to end up with the butter creme?
Mojomoe

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 06:28:54 PM »

Many Thanks "TILT", "Bettor Slots", "CP" & "kforeman" for sharing your wisdom  Hail Hail  Hail Hail

btw,  does anyone know where I can get instructions or have a link handy on pulling a 17" inch I GAME monitor?    I found directions for 19" GameKing.. I am thinking its similar or the same.    Scratch Head

I am sure I will figure it out,  and I just wanted to check if there are any special steps or process or gotchas.  Nerd

Thanks again,

Moe

Tilt

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 07:28:39 PM »

It just slides out.  Support it from the front, and there's handles on the sides.  It's somewhat heavy, so be careful not to drop it.
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 07:39:09 PM »

Tilt  I seem to recall some people changed over to LCDs mounted in/on the door.

From what I'm reading he had a picture with a bunch of errors and now ( reply #2 ) he now has a dark screen after switching boards.  Scratch Head Scratch Head

I think I wuld pull the LGM board back out and make sure none of the pins got bent.

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
cp
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 165

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 07:47:29 PM »

In regards to pulling out the monitor...  it does slide out... sometimes with a good tug... ALSO you might check underneath the monitor "shelf".... sometimes the monitors have a  screw holding the monitor in place...  You  would find it in the front center (underneath)  the  monitor shelf.  Of course,  just remove the screw  before  pulling the monitor.
Tilt

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 08:11:56 PM »

Tilt  I seem to recall some people changed over to LCDs mounted in/on the door.

Yeah, the picture was of a CRT so I assumed that's what was in the in the LGM. 

In regards to pulling out the monitor...  it does slide out... sometimes with a good tug... ALSO you might check underneath the monitor "shelf".... sometimes the monitors have a  screw holding the monitor in place...  You  would find it in the front center (underneath)  the  monitor shelf.  Of course,  just remove the screw  before  pulling the monitor.

Thanks. I guess all the ones I've seen have had it removed.
Mojomoe

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 08:44:03 PM »

Thank you all for your continuted support!!!!    Hail

I have a good idea now how to yank that puppy out.   

Moe   Mail
Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 751

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 09:03:03 PM »

Note that if you are going to slide the monitor from your other machine into this one for testing that there are 2 monitor types, a 19-pin and a 25-pin.  So you might check before you try cramming in the other monitor into the problem machine.  Just count the number of holes you see in the black hub you see at the back right hand corner and see if they are a match.

If life is like a box of chocolates....why do I always seem to end up with the butter creme?
Mojomoe

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 09:19:31 PM »

Thank you "Better Slots" for the tip & saving me from making more work for myself..   

Also Thanks Buzz for your input to check for bent pins while I have the monitor out.

Much appreicated,   applause

Moe
Jim
MIDWEST SLOTS

Total Karma Storms: 288

513-984-2201

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 02:10:55 AM »

if your machine has a printer on it I would disconnect it  and see if this won't clear up the touch screen problem.  does the bill acceptor try and cycle every ten seconds or so ?? brief cycle. 

if this does cure the problem, check the gray ribbon cable on the printer. its probably crushed underneath the roller.

Jim

MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma.
Mojomoe

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 05:41:38 PM »

I finally got some time to continue working on this issue.    I removed the old monitor which was full of smoke residue big time (I am re-considering giving up cigars if this is what my lungs look like.. see gross photo below)    also looking for tips on how to best clean it and open to suggestions.  I am thinking of compressed air canister?

Luckily the Texas Tea monitor has identical 19 pin configuration, and it slid into LGM nicely...  So the results so far is that the game came up, but again would not respond to touch-screen commands.   I could turn the attendant key and get it to start taking ambient temprature, but when it gets to the sequence of the screen calibration, no dot appears...   same symptom as the previous monitor before it stopped working.  (see photo)

I disconnected the printer and BV but still same symptom as above.   (And by disconnecting I mean unplug the printer cable and removed the BV head, not entire BV assembly)

Just for kicks I installed the old monitor in the working Texas Tea chassis, but it would not come up.

So I am kinda stuck thinking that LGM has an issue with touch-screen or Netplex circuit... not sure what to try next   Scratch Head   

Thanks agian for the help, 

* IMG_7940.JPG (184.08 KB, 800x640 - viewed 575 times.)

* IMG_7948.JPG (94.87 KB, 800x600 - viewed 1106 times.)
Mojomoe

« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 05:43:48 PM »

I also forgot to mention that one of the symptoms is that the BV does make a slight noise as if it's trying to cycle or initialize every 10 seconds when it is plugged in.

Thanks agiain

moe
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 05:51:28 PM »

Are your BV transport and cash can fully seated with the cash can release lever in the full upright position. For that to be restarting constantly like that indicates a bad switch or open switch, it would seem anyway
Mojomoe

« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2012, 06:03:32 PM »

I appreciate the input Cowboygames.    I will look into the BV transport and cash can assembly to make sure they are properly seated and lever if fully upright locked position.

Thank you again   

Moe
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 06:40:00 PM »

As far as cleaning that CRT, you can use windex on the whole of the tube itself, just be a little careful around the rubber plug where the anode lead goes into the top of the tube. For the circuit board, if it's kinda sticky buildup, grab a can of electronics parts cleaner from radio shack or order a can of "tun-o-wash" on the internet and spray it down
Tilt

« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 06:58:03 PM »

Power up the machine without the BV transport installed and see if that clears the touchscreen problem.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.