Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:53:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Monitor Repair Log and Database. **Arcade and Gaming**
| |-+  Monitor Repair Tech Support
| | |-+  Dim CRT Monitor w/NewCeronix 1492 Chassis
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dim CRT Monitor w/NewCeronix 1492 Chassis  (Read 6342 times)
danatlvc
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 4

« on: March 21, 2012, 01:15:17 PM »

Hello All, I have nice picture Ceronix Monitor with no burn. The problem is it has a dim picture. It has a brand new chassis in it & when I use the brightness knob on the chassis it starts showing trace lines getting any brighter. Is it the Deflection Coil or plug etc. or is it on it's way out? The picture stays the same if on 1 minute or 12 hours. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this is a nice picture & would hate to dispose of it & replace. I've also put other Chassis in it & the same
cowboygames
Abbys Dad
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 02:04:59 PM »

Have you tried the control on the focus block aasembly next to the flyback? On a new board it may well be turned down
danatlvc

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 02:27:40 PM »

Have you tried the control on the focus block aasembly next to the flyback? On a new board it may well be turned down
Thanks for the post. Yes, I tried focus & brightness & also other chassis that I have off other machines with no luck. The brightness knob will brighten the pic, but then shows trace lines & then heavier as you turn it up & they don't go away after warming up? It has a really nice picture & OK. it's just pretty low in brightness & monitor always has. I thought a new chassis would do the trick, but no luck. Next to my other 2 machines it looks very low in brightness & alone you kind of adjust to it, but it;s not bright. Again Thanks for your reply & would appreciate any other suggestions
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 02:45:16 PM »

Normally, with a tube going bad, I would expect to see a loss of focus along with a dimmimg picture due to carbon build-up on the guns inside the tube, but it may be that the filaments are just wearing out. Wait for another opinion though. I've got a lot of experience with TVs in general, but none with the ceronix monitors and chassis so I don't know all their quirks. Do those chassis only have the gain control on the focus block or do they have a separate user control elsewhere on the board also?
danatlvc

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 02:59:58 PM »

Only a brightness & focus knob & picture is attached. Thanks

* chassis 002.JPG (106.8 KB, 640x480 - viewed 278 times.)
poorakapinball
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 10:06:48 PM »

you could try to have the tube rejuvenated, this may help bring back the brightness. most TV repair centers will have the test gear to do this
OldReno
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 175

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 10:26:15 PM »

Rejuve can certainly help the brightness.  Also, if you're not SURE it's a new board, you might want to do a cap change.
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 10:57:11 PM »

At the very least, if you can get it hooked up to a rejuvinator, you'll be able to gage the condition of the guns inside the neck of the tube
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 308

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 11:43:34 PM »

I know that there are many different versions of the 1492 Ceronix out there. They have many different solder jumpers on the board and some of them do or can control brightness.  You would need to find someone who knows the ins and outs of the 1492's to help you with that. Is the Ceronix you have a direct replacement? The only reason I ask is I use the 1492 Ceronix in a bowling alley scoring unit and we tried buy a replacement through Ceronix only to find they were too dark for us to use.

If it's jammed, force it... If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway...
Neonkiss

Total Karma Storms: 436

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 12:07:52 AM »

Check the attached manual.
Also note the jumpers needed for IGT on page 53

* Ceronix 1492 Service_Manual.pdf (1925.14 KB - downloaded 290 times.)

Nothing brings people together better than a common enemy
343 / 60 brothers lost on that day.
danatlvc

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 09:48:18 AM »

Check the attached manual.
Also note the jumpers needed for IGT on page 53
At the very least, if you can get it hooked up to a rejuvinator, you'll be able to gage the condition of the guns inside the neck of the tube
Thanks All, I don't have a rejuvenator, but am considering buying an older one on ebay to learn how to use. it easy yo change a neck on a tube, as I'm thinking of trying a swithch of necks from a better CRT with major nurn on the screen, but it has a great bright picture with good color. It looks easy, but don't want to mess the monitors up if it is difficult. Advice would be appreciated. Thanks
danatlvc

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 10:32:02 AM »

Rejuve can certainly help the brightness.  Also, if you're not SURE it's a new board, you might want to do a cap change.
It's Brand New/Not Rebuilt & have tried other working board chassis on this monitor with the same results?
danatlvc

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 10:35:39 AM »

Is it simple to exchange the neck on a CRT reflection coil? It looks just like a slide out & in & then  just tighten tighten the clamp? Would like advice befor attempting, so I don't ruin anything. Thanks
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 12:14:48 PM »

Changing the deflection coil is easy, but it won't help the brightness. The coil only deals with size and orietation of the picture to the screen. The filaments or guns are inside the neck of the tube. They tend to build up with carbon over time or just plain wear out. A rejuvinator uses electrical pulses or shocks to blow the carbon buildup off the guns. Unique thing about color versus black and white tubes is that color tubes can also go bad from lack of use.
danatlvc

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 12:27:17 PM »

Changing the deflection coil is easy, but it won't help the brightness. The coil only deals with size and orietation of the picture to the screen. The filaments or guns are inside the neck of the tube. They tend to build up with carbon over time or just plain wear out. A rejuvinator uses electrical pulses or shocks to blow the carbon buildup off the guns. Unique thing about color versus black and white tubes is that color tubes can also go bad from lack of use.
Thanks. I thought the guns were in the neck/plug on the reflection coil & why I was going to change out
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 308

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 12:28:51 PM »

I agree that the coils not the problem, plus if your CRT has any of the pllastic adjustment levers on the neck behind the coil they get brittle and can be hard to get loose without breaking them, I know first hand. Plus trying to get them adjusted again is a pain..

If it's jammed, force it... If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway...
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 12:32:48 PM »

That and the fact that those coils were incredibly resiliant. I can only recall ever seeing one bad one in the last 25 years. No, unless that monitor is bigger than the board was made for I'm gonna ges it's the guns
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.