Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:15:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Arcade Games, Pinball, Crane Games, Redemption Games and Other Stuff
| |-+  Pinball Games
| | |-+  Any Bally experts out there? I have some voltage questions 1978 Playboy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Any Bally experts out there? I have some voltage questions 1978 Playboy  (Read 37916 times)
poppo
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 248

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2012, 11:41:56 PM »

The little c29 cap is clearly shot on the driver board.  What are the odds that the VR has lived?  Do you figure my new C23 is shot from the AC as well?  I am wondering if I need the entire 5V kit or run to the shack tomorrow for the small caps.  What do you think?  I have changed to the #47 bulbs.  I would like LED but will have to wait and see what I have in this thing once it is going.

Well, if you fed 7.3VAC into the output of the 5VDC regulator, chances are pretty good that it's toast too. The bad news is that you may have cooked a lot of other componets too.  You basically fed 7.3VAC into every 5VDC IC chip.  lightning bolt
jbshocks
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 21

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2012, 11:45:32 PM »

I fed AC to TP5 since it was soldered to the board.  All connectors were pulled from the board.  So you think more than the 5 volt kit? 
poppo

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2012, 11:48:12 PM »

I fed AC to TP5 since it was soldered to the board.  All connectors were pulled from the board.  So you think more than the 5 volt kit?  

Well, if no other boards were plugged in (i.e. the MPU, lamp driver, etc.), then you should be ok. But if anything that runs off of 5VDC was plugged in, then it may be toast. The board that has the 5VDC regulator feeds all of the other boards directly. So unless they were all unplugged in the top box......

I would get the whole kit.
Mr. Dinoman
Mr. Dinoman
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 139

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2012, 11:52:55 PM »

You beat me to it...If you swapped #8 and #10-Normally pin 10 is 119vac to the reg. board and #8 is the 7.5vac to the GI's...You should have seen a brigth flash and ALL the GI's would have burned out...
jbshocks

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2012, 11:54:19 PM »

I was following a start up guide that had voltage checks along the way so I never got further than plugging J3 into the driver board.  I will get the 5volt kit and see where I land.  Thanks
poppo

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2012, 12:14:30 AM »

You beat me to it...If you swapped #8 and #10-Normally pin 10 is 119vac to the reg. board and #8 is the 7.5vac to the GI's...You should have seen a brigth flash and ALL the GI's would have burned out...

Are you looking at the right schematic? Pin 10 (of J3) is the 7.3VAC GI line. Pin 8 is the input to the 5V regulator. Swapping them put 7.3VAC into the regulator instead of rectified AC.

jbshocks,
You "shoulld" be ok with the kit. It was not the output of the regulator as I first feared. But you did feed raw AC into the regulator which I'm sure cooked it, and also killed the capacitor (that does not like AC).  

If you order that kit from that link, you may want to order some other things, like some of the lamp driver SCRs (both types). They tend to go bad.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 12:19:41 AM by poppo » Logged
channelmaniac
Surface mount soldering geek
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 568

Few things are better than fixing an old game...

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2012, 12:28:44 AM »

The little c29 cap is clearly shot on the driver board.  What are the odds that the VR has lived?  Do you figure my new C23 is shot from the AC as well?  I am wondering if I need the entire 5V kit or run to the shack tomorrow for the small caps.  What do you think?  I have changed to the #47 bulbs.  I would like LED but will have to wait and see what I have in this thing once it is going.

If AC has run through an electrolyic cap, check it with an ESR meter. If bad, replace. If you don't have an ESR meter then just replace it. Standard capacitance tests on a multimeter will NOT show damage to a cap.

I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

http://www.arcadecomponents.com
poppo

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2012, 12:34:35 AM »

Since the one cap is definitely toasted, I would just replace them both (along with the regulator).
Mr. Dinoman
Mr. Dinoman

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2012, 12:57:20 AM »

Answer to your ?....The schematic for the Power transformer module that feeds everything....J3 Playboy 1978...JB stated Powersupply earlier
poppo

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2012, 01:07:02 AM »

Answer to your ?....The schematic for the Power transformer module that feeds everything....J3 Playboy 1978...JB stated Powersupply earlier

Normally pin 10 is 119vac to the reg. board and #8 is the 7.5vac to the GI's...You should have seen a brigth flash and ALL the GI's would have burned out...

Better check again. Sherlock Smiley  J3 P10 is 7.3VAC GI lighting.  J3 P8 is 11.9VDC (not 119VAC) that goes to the 5VDC regulator.  

In any case, he has the wires back where they belong, and now just needs to get the +5VDC back up.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 01:12:40 AM by poppo » Logged
Mr. Dinoman
Mr. Dinoman

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2012, 02:14:59 AM »

Could be...I have a bad photo copy...
jbshocks

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2012, 06:21:32 PM »

Parts finally arrived from Big Daddy today and I changed the entire 5 V VR kit and all voltages checked out.  I hooked up the rest of the machine and plugged it in.  The flippers kicked which startled me and I unplugged it.  I plugged it back in and the displays all had a little glow but no numbers.  I see no kind of flickering at all on the MPU LED to indicate a boot is going on.  While looking it over I smelled smoke and realized it was under the play table so I unplug and take a look.  It was the solenoid that knocks the outside of the machine.  I probably have a bad transistor and coil at this point but I cut the wire off the cable in hopes of dealing with the boot problem. 

I check the voltages on the MPU at TP1, 2, 3 and 5 and all in spec.  This MPU did have corrosion but not really that bad.  I bought a corrosion kit for it but only changed one transistor that had a broken leg at Q2.  Should I shot gun the rest of the kit in?  Change the U8 socket and U8 and retest?  What is the next best move? 

poppo

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2012, 07:11:00 PM »

This MPU did have corrosion but not really that bad.  I bought a corrosion kit for it but only changed one transistor that had a broken leg at Q2.  Should I shot gun the rest of the kit in?  Change the U8 socket and U8 and retest?  What is the next best move? 

If Q2 or associated parts are bad, the LED won't do anything. You can ground TP6 to see if the LED is working.

The corrosion may not look bad, but if it get's under the chips and sockets it will cause all sorts of problems.

There used to be some good step by step troubleshooting info here, but it looks like most of the links are dead.
http://www.pinrepair.com/bally/

I have to look, but I think I may have a working MPU somewhere if you can't get yours running.  
Just checked. I don't have it any more.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 07:37:21 PM by poppo » Logged
jbshocks

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2012, 03:06:57 AM »

I have been using that pinrepair guide all along and it has been dead the last 2 days.  I have pulled up some cached copies to work from.  I used a pc power supply to do testing which makes things go a ton faster.  I changed out the LED and now I have a solid light.  I tried shorting pin 39 and 40 of u9 to get it to boot and nothing.  I have now changed U8 and its socket though now that I have read more it would have nothing to do with a solid light.  From the corrosion kit I have replaced all 3 transistors, all 3 diodes and all of the capacitors.  I did not change the resistors as they look good and seem to check fine.  I am just about to throw in the towel on this MPU,  after all I don't know if someone plugged the machine in with with the corroded MPU and fried the chips.  I wish I had a logic probe to watch pin 40 U9 to see if the reset circuit is working. 
poppo

« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2012, 11:25:26 AM »

Depending on how much you want to spend on trying to fix yours, you might be best off buying a Ultimate MPU or a Dash-35. Even the used original MPUs seem to have gone up quite a bit on ebay.  Every used MPU I had bought always ended up having some sort of intermittent problem. I finally bit the bullet and bought a Dash-35. Never had a problem since.

To troubleshoot these boards, you really need a logic probe or a scope.

If you have a eprom burner, this may help.

http://home.scarlet.be/~fb054529/bally/ebally.htm

It's test ROM that aids troubleshoooting.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 02:31:46 PM by poppo » Logged
jbshocks

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2012, 04:39:01 PM »

Thanks for all the help on this.  should I be able to read the 7825 prom chips in my eprom burner?  I am wondering if by chance I have bad cpu, ram or roms but can't decide if I want to throw $30 more at this thing just to end up buying a new board.

Also,

Any Idea what the displays should be doing with a locked up MPU?  Mine have a glow to them but no numbers lit up.  I would assume this would be correct with a locked up game.  I am hoping I don't move from bad MPU to bad displays.
poppo

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2012, 04:54:13 PM »

I'm 99.999% sure the displays won't do anything if the MPU is locked up.

As for the ROMS, it might be a good idea to jumper the MPU for 2732 chips if it isn't already.
Here are the ROM checksums if you can read them in your burner.
http://pin-logic.com/early_bally_pinball_game_roms.htm

Does the green LED even flicker at all on power up?
jbshocks

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2012, 07:55:22 PM »

Do you know what is needed to merge the U1 and U2 chips together?  I have not seen a combo U2 rom for playboy.  Also do you know what U7 does?  Would it need to be replaced?  I don't see U7 rom files.

Never a flicker just a short delay before the LED lights
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 08:08:25 PM by jbshocks » Logged
poppo

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2012, 08:22:32 PM »

Do you know what is needed to merge the U1 and U2 chips together?  I have not seen a combo U2 rom for playboy.  Also do you know what U7 does?  Would it need to be replaced?  I don't see U7 rom files.

Use this command based on the names of the files on ipdb.org to merge U1 and U2. Easiest to put it in a batch file and put in the same directory as the two original files. 2732_U1_U2.bin  would be the merged file. The merged ROM goes in the U2 socket

copy /b 743-14_1.716 + 743-12_2.716 2732_U1_U2.bin /b

I belive U6 can just be burned right to a 2732 using no offset, but using this command will work too which just puts a copy in each "bank". 2732_U6.bin is the resulting file.

copy /b 720-30_6.716 + 720-30_6.716 2732_U6.bin /b

U7 is the static RAM chip. It "can" go bad. But you would need to get some LED flashes before it's tested.

If you need to locate that test ROM, send me an e-mail.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 08:35:50 PM by poppo » Logged
jbshocks

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2012, 09:56:41 PM »

does it matter what 2732 chips I get?  Does prefix and suffix matter?  I put the stock chips on my burner and they all show blank so either dead or my reader will not read them.
poppo

« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2012, 10:11:51 PM »

does it matter what 2732 chips I get?  Does prefix and suffix matter?  I put the stock chips on my burner and they all show blank so either dead or my reader will not read them.

Any 2732 chips should work fine as long as your burner will work with them. I know for sure that 200ms (2732-200) will work.

If they are stock ROMS, are you using the 2716 setting? I don't recall if I had problems reading stock chips or not.

Also  You've Got Mail
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 10:36:53 PM by poppo » Logged
jbshocks

« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2012, 10:38:33 PM »

they are actually 7848 chips but those are not in my list.  I just tried the 2716 and nothing.
jbshocks

« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2012, 01:55:16 AM »

I am just about to throw in the towel and order a board.   I think I will sleep on it.  I burned the test eprom and re did the jumpers same behavior.  So according to instructions it says to try to jump 5v to pin 40 I do that and light goes out  but does not cycle.  The socket then starts to melt at pin 40.  I bent pin 40 up and decided to give it 5v directly and take the board out of the middle and it would just dim the LED.
poppo

« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2012, 02:06:06 AM »

The socket then starts to melt at pin 40.

Hmmm.... That's not good. Did you pull all of the chips the directions tell you to? There is no way that you should have a meltdown on pin 40. But the reset line does go to other places, so there could be a short somewhere.

I agree that it might be time for another MPU and use this one for spare parts.
jbshocks

« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2012, 02:16:02 AM »

I did pull all other chips.  just the 2 in it.  one of the clock signals show 3.88v which is high as well so I am wondering if this got plugged in with all the corrosion and burned a bunch of the ICs.  That may also explain why the led was burned out.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.