Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:35:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Arcade Games, Pinball, Crane Games, Redemption Games and Other Stuff
| |-+  Pinball Games
| | |-+  Any Bally experts out there? I have some voltage questions 1978 Playboy
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Any Bally experts out there? I have some voltage questions 1978 Playboy  (Read 37914 times)
poppo
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 248

« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2012, 08:51:39 AM »

Clap Glad you got it working.
jbshocks
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 21

« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2012, 10:22:14 PM »

cleaning the volume control seems to have solved the hum
jbshocks

« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2012, 11:13:56 PM »

OK its a sickness.  Anyone know a good therapist?  I just bought another one.  Another 79 Bally, this one is called super sonic.  I don't think it has run in 30 years.  It is in very good shape but the MPU was just toasted with battery damage.  This time I didn't even fool around with trying to delicately clean it.  I neutralized with vinger/water, put it in the dish washer, baked it in the oven, bead blasted it and then rinsed with isopropel alcohol.  u11 was shot.  I changed the sockets in u7,u8,u10,u11.  I borrowed chips from playboy and it flashes and flashes and flashes and flashes and never stops.  Any thoughts?  I may rejumper for 2732's and make one of those test chips.  I really should have bought more of those eproms.

* IMG_1493.JPG (496.58 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 395 times.)

* IMG_1494.JPG (433.72 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 393 times.)
poppo

« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2012, 11:27:46 PM »

I may rejumper for 2732's and make one of those test chips. 

I think that is your best bet.
CVslots

Total Karma Storms: 432

« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2012, 12:40:43 AM »

OK its a sickness.  Anyone know a good therapist?  I just bought another one.  Another 79 Bally, this one is called super sonic.  I don't think it has run in 30 years.  It is in very good shape but the MPU was just toasted with battery damage.  This time I didn't even fool around with trying to delicately clean it.  I neutralized with vinger/water, put it in the dish washer, baked it in the oven, bead blasted it and then rinsed with isopropel alcohol.  u11 was shot.  I changed the sockets in u7,u8,u10,u11.  I borrowed chips from playboy and it flashes and flashes and flashes and flashes and never stops.  Any thoughts?  I may rejumper for 2732's and make one of those test chips.  I really should have bought more of those eproms.

Wow...yeah, i wouldnt consider what you did "delicate cleaning" anyday....

jbshocks

« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2012, 02:48:02 AM »

I changed jumpers and flashed a test prom.  blinks per test then when pressing the reset switch to test memory that tests ok.  reburned to playboy and stuck the board in the playboy.  It poped some solenoids and made some music but didn't really work. Then it would flash 2 lights and stop.  I guess I need to see if I have any more bad traces.

Poppo,  if it is blinking would that indicated that the transistors and such from the corrosion kits would not be needed? 
poppo

« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2012, 10:46:17 AM »

Poppo,  if it is blinking would that indicated that the transistors and such from the corrosion kits would not be needed?  

Which test ROM are you using? But yes, if it's flashing then it has completed a reset. Plus since you got some activity out of it (a little music etc), the reset must be working.
jbshocks

« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2012, 11:01:50 AM »

I was using the test rom you sent me.  The music was when I put playboy roms back in.   The funny thing was that I got music to early in the boot cycle.
poppo

« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2012, 11:48:02 AM »

What does the MPU LED do on power up?  As long as it flashes, the reset is ok.

FYI, the sound board is sort of self contained. It has it's own processor so to speak, and it can generate music or sounds just by the address/data lines toggling. So just because it's playing tunes, does not mean it's being told to intentionally.
jbshocks

« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2012, 11:26:54 PM »

with swapping chips and such the playboy board stopped working.  I started to sweat it.  It wouldn't blink with even just the test chip and processor.  Pin one ground seemed weak on u11 but supposedly you don't need 11 in to blink with that test chip.  So I swapped out the socket and now it is working perfect.  It actually had 2 corroded pins, 1 and 2.  I was really afraid I ruined it.  So I decided to order a logic probe to dig in further on the super sonic board.  So nothing more on that one for a little while.
poppo

« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2012, 11:45:49 PM »

A logic probe really can come in handy.

Corrosion under pins can be a real issue too. Sometimes just using a lot of liquid flux on both sides and re-flowing the joints will help. Easier than replacing sockets unless you have a nice rework station. Corrosion between pins can be a headache too. Using a stiff nylon brush or a toothbrush when using the vinegar/water solution to try and get between the pins will also help. The corrosion can be conductive and while not be a direct short, will cause all sorts of issues. That's one of the reasons I just gave up on the old boards and ponied up for a brand new one. Nothing worse than having a really good game going and have the MPU glitch.
poppo

« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2012, 04:52:47 PM »

I really should have bought more of those eproms.

If you have not bought any yet, you might try this guy in China.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320674406737

He took $2.00 a piece offer on 6. They are new, and programmed ok (although my Willem is really twitchy with 2732 chips). The ones I got were 2732A 21V programming voltage.  Got them in 8 days which I thought was pretty good.
jbshocks

« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2012, 09:17:55 PM »

I got this other disaster of a board running.  After changing several sockets the thing would blink and never stop blinking.  The root cause was Pin 9 of U7 has a trace on the back side there is a through hole bringing it to the front almost between pin 1 and 2 of U11. This through hole was open and difficult to spot. With that line open the LED just blinks. once I repaired the hole I would get the unique first flash that I am used to and a total of 6 flashes.  The 7th flash was solved by replacing r113.  Now it works.  Who knows if this thing will be erratic or not but the fun was in the challenge.  Considering the cost of a new board my time was probably worth 5 cents an hour.  The logic probe really came in handy and found the open.  I basically went pin to pin on the ICs and any time I found a pin with no hi, low or signal I would investigate.  It seems there are a few unused pins but you can narrow it down quick.  Now I want to set up a test fixture and chase down the rest of the sound on my one no sound ultra board.

Thanks  Poppo I appreciate your guidance.
poppo

« Reply #88 on: August 10, 2012, 10:43:58 PM »

Glad you got it working.  Clap I can't tell you how many hours I spent fiddling with those MPUs only to be playing a game and have it lock up or something.  bawling That's when I said the heck with it and just bought a new one. BTW, you can buy unpopulated MPUs on e-bay if you want to spend the time transferring all of the components.  arrow
jbshocks

« Reply #89 on: August 10, 2012, 10:52:29 PM »

I saw those and considered it. but this is really a spare board anyway so it was more to see if I could make it tick again.
poppo

« Reply #90 on: August 10, 2012, 11:14:30 PM »

.... it was more to see if I could make it tick again.

You need a new avatar.  Tongue Out

* its-alive.jpg (69.83 KB, 640x349 - viewed 380 times.)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.