Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 08:19:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S and S-plus Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  Error 12 - Replaced the battery twice in 48 hours and sucked them both dry!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Error 12 - Replaced the battery twice in 48 hours and sucked them both dry!  (Read 3446 times)
cnc74
« on: April 30, 2012, 10:43:25 PM »

Help!!!

I have an IGT S+ CAT n DOGS machine dated from 1994 and recently it came down with the Error 12. I promptly got on the internet and ordered up a pair of new batteries (SAFT - LS - 14250 - 3.6v that were manufactured in 2011. I was able to clear the error 12 with no problem but got stuck at Error 61 and so I ordered the Clear chip and the Validator chip (don't get hung up on the lingo.. Set15 etc etc..) I came back to the machine a day later after the first battery install and it was back to error 12 again. I thought that was very strange so I tested the battery and it was dead as a door nail. I figured it was entirly possible that it was just a bad cell and preplaced it with the other new cell I purchased at the same time this time testing it first to confirm proper voltage and everyhting looked good with the proper voltaged reading out I installed it and cleared the Error 12 (again) and again was stuck on Error 61. I am still waiting for my chips so I closed it up for the night. SOmething told me to check the machine today (one day later from second battery install) and I am back to Error 12 and the second battery is dead as a door nail too!!

Two dead (new) batteries in two nights (not including the first old one). What the heck is causing this? These batteries are not cheap...  CaptainHappy Worried

Any ideas?
OhioGaming
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 297

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 10:56:24 PM »

Dead short on the CPU board will cause this problem.
CommTech
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 251

Joe

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 10:57:29 PM »

Remove the positive lead of the battery and measure the resistance between the Cathode of Diode CR15 to Ground.  It would appear that you may have a shorted component or circuit trace from that point.
poppo
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 248

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 11:21:10 PM »

Remove the positive lead of the battery and measure the resistance between the Cathode of Diode CR15 to Ground.  

If CR15 was shorted, it would still work as that is the battery path to the CMOS. However, if shorted, it would cause the battery to be "charged" when power was applied which could kill it. If CR15 is shorted, it would allow the battery to try and power the whole board when power was removed. Basically CR14 and CR15 act as an "or" gate for power to the CMOS.

Of course one must ask the question -  was the battery put in backward? (it has been done before)
cnc74
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 12:10:08 AM »

I triple check the battery direction.. Its definently a drain issue.

The good info is apreciated!!!! I will report back shortly.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 12:37:28 AM by cnc74 » Logged
cnc74
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 12:54:00 AM »

Update: CR15 checked out ok and seemd to hold gate voltage properly.

Side note: I failed to mention that I did the battery tray mod for easy removal when I installed the first of the two batteries and when testing the board I noticed that I had excess flux in the area between the posative side of the battery and the closest point of CR15. I have cleaned it up and reinstalled the board and went straight to Error 61! (Thats acually good....I think) Unfortunatly I couldn't clear it. Thats where I am at for now.. As mentioned earlier, I am waiting on my "chips" but I am interested in any "tricks" to clear the Error 61 without wiping everything..

arrow
BR549 Auto Sales
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 499

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 01:01:33 AM »

You should be able to hold down the small white test button close to the on/off switch until it reads 61-1. After that, close your main door and turn the jackpot key one time and you should be in business.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.