Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 08:26:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Video Slots** Gaming machines
| |-+  BALLY Game Maker. (Moderator: tacman)
| | |-+  Trouble using an oversized RAM Clear chip on Gamemaker 7000
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Trouble using an oversized RAM Clear chip on Gamemaker 7000  (Read 5775 times)
RV Doctor
« on: February 01, 2009, 05:35:32 PM »

I recently bought my 1st gamemaker 7000 and I was eager to install some new games.  I burned the new 1MB games onto 1MB EPROMs.  ..... no problem. (Note: I used a brand new True USB Willem GQ USB Programmer. Works great!)

However I didn't have any 512KB chips to burn a RAM Clear chip,  all I had were blank 4 MB chips. So I used a 4MB for the Clear chip.  FYI: according to the NLG concensus, an oversized chip should work OK to burn GAMES.   (But who knows about burning a RAM Clear chip).

Anyway, I installed the 4 MB RAM Clear chip into P10, and set switchpack 1 (positions 7 & 8) to ON and Powered up. (Note: the 4MB chip is so large that it occupies all the leg holes on the socket. The notch was the same direction as the other game chips)

The screen showed "Please reset DIP switches. Please restart machine".

I put the machine back to original configuration. (ie. Game chip back in, switches OFF). The screen showed my Keno game upon power-up. Turning the reset key brought up the diagnostic menu. (not the RAM Clear procedure)

I put the RAM Clear chip back in, and set switches 7 & 8 to ON.

The display showed  "Please reset DIP switches. Please restart machine".

I left the Clear chip installed and turned OFF sw 7 & 8.

Display showed: "Please install Clear chip. Minimum and maximum wager settings must be configured".

I set switches 7 & 8 to ON. The Clear chip was still installed from the previous step.

Display showed: Please reset DIP switches. Please restart machine.

I put the machine back to normal configuration (ie. game chip in P10 and switches 7 & 8 OFF).

Display showed  "Please install Clear chip. Minimum and maximum wager settings must be configured".

I turned it off.   I'll wait until I have a 512KB chip and re-burn the RAM Clear program.   (The person who gave me the RAM Clear program has used it extensively without problem)

Any thoughts?  Has anybody seen any of this?  If no suggestions, I'll wait for my blank 512KB chips to arrive.

Signed,    .... "Puzzled in Pittsburg"   (nah, it's Howard the RV Doctor)   I wish this was an RV!

POST APPROVED BY NLG
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 05:52:10 PM by StatFreak » Logged
cp
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 165

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 06:35:33 PM »

I believe the mpu is not recognizing the "ram clr"  chip you installed.  Your first step, install (wrong)  Ram Clr / move dips 7/8 on...machine will just say:  reset dip sw.  ...also  If you have just put in new game chips /  changed games etc... the machine will "call for"  ... install ram clear.   When you move dips 7 / 8... with no ram clr chip...machine will say  reset dip sw and restart.  and then after resetting the dip 7 / 8   machine will go back to " install clr chip..."   It's just a circle of  issues you will have until  you install a correct Ram Clr chip.  So, in short,  I believe you're "dead in the water"  for now.
Slotmaster
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 172

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 06:57:33 PM »

I think the socket will not be able to use a 4MB chip.

Try a 1 MB as originally noted on the other thread.

However ideal is the 512 as you noted.

tacman
Topic Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 446

Genius in training.

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 07:42:07 PM »

I concur with Slotmaster. Although it was stated in prior threads that a larger eprom could be used, I believe 1 meg eproms were stated in the thread. I do know that there are jumpers set up I believe for the Mains? for 2-4 meg eproms, but nothing for the personality eproms.

Dan (tacman)

rma
Contributing NLG Member
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 8

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 09:56:52 PM »

On the 7200 GameMaker with 20, 22, 23 or 24 Mains:
A 4MB chip will not work as a .512 P10 - Ram Clear.
A 1MB chip will work as a .512 P10 - Ram Clear.

Dave (rma)

Growing old is inevitable - Growing up is optional.
ricker
Contributing Gold NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 156

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 06:34:43 PM »

Here's my 2 cents. I think everything is OK. If the game is placed in P-10 after a clear, a second clear is needed, especially if that game has minimum and maximum coin settings involved. Might want to try it leaving P-10 empty after clearing, or re-clear as instructed.

Richard
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.