Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:31:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Monitor Repair Log and Database. **Arcade and Gaming**
| |-+  Monitor Repair Tech Support
| | |-+  Ceronix 1493 bartop to upright conversion
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ceronix 1493 bartop to upright conversion  (Read 6374 times)
mb278
« on: May 29, 2012, 10:27:53 PM »

i am converting our old 1493 bartop monitors into upright to save as many of the old 13" monitors as i can, since we no longer use them in our bartops  Now i thought would simply b a matter of switching chassis lol    ran into an unexpected problem the screen is now upside down!! is there anything i can do to get the screen to go upright  other than flipping the  my guess is not really but i thought this would b a good one for the forums  frying pan

cowboygames
Abbys Dad
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 10:33:47 PM »

Loosen the set screw on the yoke and spin it 180 degrees on the neck of the tube
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 12:44:53 AM »

http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=248.0;attach=1113

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
mb278
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 08:21:01 PM »

Could u send a pic of the set screw i cannot find the location on any of my diagrams   thankyou!!!
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 08:36:43 PM »

Shoot, I wish I could but I don't have anything in the house that uses a CRT anymore. It's a big silver screw on what looks like a hose clamp securing the yoke to tbe neck of the picture tube
OldReno
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 175

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 11:20:49 PM »

This topic was brought up before.  But can't remember where it is.  Another way is to change out two of the wires (of the 4 wire plug) coming from your neckboard to your monitor board. Two are for horizontal and two for vertical, I believe. Changing two of them flip it upside down, and changing the other two reverse image it. We used to just cut them in half and flip whichever one needed it. Or you could reposition and resolder them on neck...?
Never had occasion to flip the yoke, so cannot speak to that. @cowboygames, do you have to refocus afterwards?
Buzz, your link doesn't work (for me, anyway....)
I know this topic was discussed somewhere.
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 11:44:44 PM »

You don't have to refocus, but sliding the yoke back and forth on the neck will increase and decrease the size of the picture so there is a little adjustment to make. I suppose I should have asked if he's got the crt mounted with the anode lead to the tube at the top or bottom. Bottom is bad and tube would need to be flipped over
OldReno

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 11:57:14 PM »

Thanks for the info cowboygames, good to know.  Like I say, never had to change yokes. (tho' I shoulda learned that) We'd generally just cut yoke plug and flip whichever side needed it. Quick and dirty.
If he's got the room with harness, he could always take out the 4 bolts holding tube to frame and flip it over....
mb278
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 02:17:53 PM »

Alright thank you everyone  the set screw is it possible that there is two side by side, because doesnt seem to be on there anywhere maybe on the older 1492's this seems to be rather seamlessly connected yoke. Flipping the whole thing is completey out of the question due to space constraints even if i could i think that would be a really really bad idea.  Rewire now why didnt i think of that but which one to which one ?  Trial and error on monitors makes me nervous      thanks for alll the help
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 03:24:46 PM »

Alright thank you everyone  the set screw is it possible that there is two side by side, because doesnt seem to be on there anywhere maybe on the older 1492's this seems to be rather seamlessly connected yoke. Flipping the whole thing is completey out of the question due to space constraints even if i could i think that would be a really really bad idea.  Rewire now why didnt i think of that but which one to which one ?  Trial and error on monitors makes me nervous      thanks for alll the help

4 screws that hold the picture tube in the chassis, rotate the tube 180, reinstall the 4 screws.  What space constraint ?????????    Scratch Head Scratch Head Scratch Head Scratch Head

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
OldReno

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 04:01:13 PM »

If the 2nd anode and other wires don't reach if you try to flip the tube 180 (as above), then you might consider swapping the wires on the neck board.  As I recall there were 4 wires, 2 for horizontal and 2 for vertical.  They were paired, I believe, in other words where they go onto your monitor board (not neckboard), there should be a 4 pin plug.  Two on the right side control one, and two on the left side control the other.  Sorry, don't remember which is which.  You could swap them out on the connector if you have a pin pusher, or trace them back to neck board and swap them there with your solder iron.  If you get the wrong pair, your picture will be reverse image, and still upside-down.  At one time someone made a plug in connector that switched them, but don't remember who.
Anyway, it is possible.....
And you are using the one-hand-in-the-pocket rule whenever working on a hot monitor, yes????  Safety first.
mb278
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 08:19:58 PM »

there are 3 wires not 4 2 black 1 blue and the blue is at a diagnol angle from the the black wires which are a two plug connector the blue is a separate wire    i think i found the set screw but the yoke doesnt seem to want to turn after i loosen it  and yes safety first  my first computer teacher put the fear of god into us about working on monitors lol  soooo yes very careful  am starting to wonder how worth it this is ill probably fix this then my boss will tell me to trash it anyway lol  i have done repairs on these things before this is just a new problem and am having fun, yes this is fun for me     an no im not gonna flip it it doesnt really fit like that, besides  dont like the anode that close to the board not to mention a nice little bare copper coil sittin right there  thats why  if i was doin it quick and dirty  that might work

Just outta curiosity and since i have you all here the company i work for would probaly sell a couple of our older machines to private parties  we have PE+ machine single games units and a couple that were converted to older gameking multidenom/multigame units   we even have monitors for the old pe+ units and they work!!  if anyone is interested these could feasibly still be used in a buisiness and as far as the gameking go they do make a LCD rplacement for these old 1493's  Suzo-Happ sells them     my boss just doesnt want to look at em anymore so he'd probaly give you a good deal 
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 09:07:20 PM »

There's a couple of things you could be running into. Some companies used two sided tape between the plastic yoke body and the CRT neck, which is rare and the more common thing was that the heat from the tube would make the plastic stick to the glass pretty good over time. I would generally use an exacto or butter knife to VERY gently work the plastic ears of the yoke loose from the glass after removing completely the metal clamp they use to hold it tight. A couple pictures of what you're dealing with would sure help
mb278
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 09:45:58 PM »

thank you cowboy games    that was never going to happen the plastic on this thing is done if i had tried to remove i would have just been chipping plastic away i ended up doing the rewire   it was  yellow to brown to flip it upright  blue to red to get rid the inversion !!   thanks  everyone was really helpful   rewire was the answer
there is 4 wires btw i just was thinking of the power connection
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 11:06:24 PM »

Just glad you got it done, good job applause
mb278
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 12:49:35 AM »

The Cowboys Rock
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 01:41:32 AM »

For the record, here was the previous thread on the topic:

http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=248.0

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
OldReno

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 01:53:49 AM »

Knagl,
GOOD ONE, good memory, good post.
Thank you, now I know how to find that if needed again!!!
(I don't believe in doing the Karma thing, but you get one)
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 02:44:32 AM »

Knagl,
GOOD ONE, good memory, good post.

Thanks, but I can't take all the credit -- Buzz's post in Reply #2 above was a link to a picture in that thread -- from that I was able to find the thread that the picture came from.   yes

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
mb278
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2012, 08:33:54 PM »

yeah i found that thread too  but it still didnt tell me exactly what to do in my case  still had to experiment  a bit  , but i made sure the problem and what i did to resolve it stayed in the same thread      And thanks for the Karma !!     that was my first one 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.