Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 05:33:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Bally Reel Games. (Moderator: a69mopar)
| | |-+  bally e 1238? reels wont stop...newbie
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: bally e 1238? reels wont stop...newbie  (Read 10274 times)
poof
« on: June 11, 2012, 10:11:01 PM »

Hi, im a newb to slots have a e2270 that works fine, but i got the bug, so i just picked up an e1238 4 reel.  I dont know anything aboutit, but "it used to work".  It has been sitting for some time.  I took it all apart just to check it out...alll looked fine.  The air piston was gummed up, so i cleaned that and powered it up.  All the lights come on.  I put in the coins...2 quarters....the reels spin but dont stop.....I went throuh the test mode an got a code 71 for the reels...Its like the are not getting power.  I checked the fuses behind the hopper...all 5 look good.   Any help would be appreciated, i am fairly mechanical, and dont want to hire a pro if i can do it with your help. 
Thanks
proten
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 210

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 10:39:39 PM »

The first thing to check with reels spin and don't stop is the kick switches.
Here is the test instructions.

* Untitled5.jpg (507.08 KB, 1704x2192 - viewed 484 times.)

One step at a time.
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 308

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 01:45:51 AM »

When I've run into a code 71, I myself found the cherry switch next to the door lock wasn't working correctly, but that might not true with yours.. Do you know how to test the reel readers using test #5? You could also need to clean and check there adjustments. You might want to move the first reel reader to #2 or #3 reel to see if your problem moves.

Gary

If it's jammed, force it... If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway...
poof
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 09:31:45 PM »

Thanks for the replies.....I have the book with that page in it...I will have to try it, i just thought it is odd that all 4 reels wont stop, unless it is a waterfall effect.
poof
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 09:56:25 PM »

ok, i remover the reels and found that the arm for the kicker switch was off the cam, i tweaked it so it rode on the cam.  I did not help, now, the tilt is on, code 71 on readout, reels wond stop, wont accept coins and wont go into test mode.....help........its getting worse! Help
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 10:10:15 PM »

What MPU board does that machine have? Is it the one piece MPU with the battery soldered to it, or it is the 1000 series MPU that has the separate ram board with the battery. The earlier versions with the ram boards had a big problem with the contacts for the pins with battery corrosion causing connection problems. If possible post pics, they are always helpful.

Gary

poof
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 10:46:22 PM »

Looks like the one piece board/soldered battery

* slot 2 002.JPG (193.87 KB, 768x1024 - viewed 493 times.)

* slot 2 003.JPG (199.57 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 386 times.)
poof
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 10:47:41 PM »

reel switches didnt adjust, just tweeked kicker mont to ride on cam better...was off the side of the cam

* slot 2 004.JPG (197.03 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 400 times.)
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 11:11:02 PM »

Do you know how to check the voltage out puts on the power supply board located on the back wall behind the hopper?

poof
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 11:30:22 PM »

no i do not, please tell, if it can be explained. thanks
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 12:22:28 AM »

There are 4 loops on the power supply board for checking voltages. One says ground, the other 3 are 5vdc, 7.5vdc, and 10vdc. Heres  a pic..

* Bally Power supply.jpg (1126.82 KB, 1704x2192 - viewed 508 times.)

OldReno
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 175

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 12:55:48 AM »

Are you able to get into test mode on that thing?
If so, you should be able to test all your inputs (both your cam switches), outputs and reel positions, as well as verifying your reel readers are lighting up.
Unless I'm mistaken (and I VERY often am), there might be two buttons on your hopper board???? Or your reset key switch?
Mebbe I'm thinking a different machine...not sure if Bally had test functions on that machine or not.
poof
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 12:00:51 PM »

I tested the voltage, with mt high tech 20.00 meter and all looks fine, 4.96, 7.15, and 9.75.   I did notice a few plugs that have nothing in them is that normal?  Also, the orange wire to the reset key is undone....I dont have thekey, would that affect anything?
Thanks for helping a newbie. Hail
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 12:29:35 PM »

No the extra plugs are normal. The reset wire should not be an issue. Did you ever run test #5 to see if your reel reader are working? Yours should have the early 50v readers that will light up. Later models have 5v infared ones. If you have a manual do test 5 and then I would read on how to do test #3 to test your switches. Does your machine have a cherry switch on the door by the lock? You might want to check it. Now  are you trying the machine with the door closed? They will tilt if you try to play them with the door open unless your running test #8..

Gary

poof
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 01:32:03 PM »

Thanks, i cant get it to the test mode anymore...When i first started it would go through the tests, now it is displaying 71 and tilt, with all 3 coin lights flashing.  I press reset and the tilt and flashing coin lights come on in seconds.  There is a switch by the door latch on the chassis, should i run a jumper on its two wires?
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 02:27:53 PM »

Try pushing the left button on the hopper board the reset, then press the right one test. Your machine should reset. Check your fuse on the hopper too.

poof
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 09:19:31 PM »

ok, that worked, it all worked for a bit....now reel 2 and 4 dont want to spin/stop.  I need to get the bugs out, i dont thin it has run in some time, there are glitches throughout, sometimes coins go right through.   A work in progress, but with your help it is in progress, thanks.
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 09:32:42 PM »

I would start by removing the reels assembly and doing a cleaning and oiling of all the links and levers on all the cross shafts. Make sure everything moves freely then I would remove and clean the reel readers. There is a oiling hole on each of the reels center hubs to oil those bearing. Just remember that one or two drops of oil goes a long way. Good luck and keep us posted.

Gary

poof
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 09:56:02 PM »

Gary thanks for all the help.  I lubed the reel assembly and have put about 100 pulls on it with no reel problems.   Sometimes quarter will go through without being accepted???. Thanks, will start new topic for other concerns as needed Hail Hail Hail Hail Hail Hail Hail
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2012, 10:09:24 PM »

Gary thanks for all the help.  I lubed the reel assembly and have put about 100 pulls on it with no reel problems.   Sometimes quarter will go through without being accepted???. Thanks, will start new topic for other concerns as needed Hail Hail Hail Hail Hail Hail Hail

If you have coin not registering then check your coin switch wire. It could be too low allowing coins to pass with out registering. Try bending it up a bit and make sure it's not rubbing on the slot. I also had one before that the wire was loose on the switch. I fixed it with a drop of epoxy.

Gary

poof
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2012, 10:08:16 AM »

Update....sorry it has taken so long, but its alive!!!    Yes with all your help, it is up and running, for a month now with no problems.  Thanks   Hail applause
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2012, 12:10:44 PM »

Hey that great news.. What was the problem and or the fix for the others following this thread and might have the same problem..

Thanks Gary

poof
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2012, 02:15:22 PM »

Hi, I wound up getting another coil accepter, and that seemed to do the trick.  It seems like there was nothing really wrong/broken with this machine.  It just needed to be cleaned up, the one swith on the left side of the reels was of its cam, it just needed tweaking.  All the rest seemed to be cleaning/lubeing.  Thanks for all the help and support on this project.  I have started another,  a bally em 809.  Its a work in progress.  Thanks again this site is awesome!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.