Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 01:22:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S2000 and Vision Games.
| | |-+  Reel glass light issue
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reel glass light issue  (Read 3221 times)
Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 233

« on: July 23, 2012, 10:36:59 PM »

Hey Guys,

Got a weird lighting issue.  Maybe it's simple, but I'll give you my troubleshooting steps.

The reel glass light flickered a bit and went out.  Game still plays fine.

First thought...change the bulb.  No dice.  Bulb works and was tested in top box.
Second thought...test another ballast.  Tested belly ballast and top box ballasts in reel glass ballast spot.  No dice. 
Third thought...test defective reel glass ballast in top box and belly.  No dice.  In fact, when the bad ballast is used in another location, the game won't start up...sorta flickers.

So the reel glass ballast is screwed...smells fried too.  However, a known working top box and belly ballast won't work in the reel glass location either.  What else could it be?

I also took off the reel glass light assembly and plugged it into the top box ballast.  Works fine.

Any help would be appreciated since I'm gonna need to order parts.

Again, the game is playing fine.

Thanks
Jason

Yoeddy's IGT Slot Machine Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/Yoeddy1
cowboygames
Abbys Dad
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 11:00:44 PM »

First thing I'do is check the wiring feeding that fixture and use a meter to check the voltage on that part of the harness
Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 12:21:14 AM »

Gotta pick up a new multimeter cowboy.  In the meantime, check out the photos below:

Photo 1 shows the cable that goes in from the wiring harness into the ballast.  It's got a small pcb on it.  None of the other ballast cables have this.  It needs to be there, but I'm wondering if that small component could have gone bad.  it disconnects from the cable connector per photo 2.

I'm assuming that the harness goes down to the door I/O pcb on the door.  This is the board that the VFD connects to and has two flickering green lights on it. 

Other than the ballast, the little pcb on the ballast connector, and the I/O board, is there anything else that you guys can think of?

I was hoping this would be just a ballast...no such luck.. arrow

Jason

* 1.JPG (95.47 KB, 640x478 - viewed 234 times.)

* 2.JPG (89.91 KB, 640x478 - viewed 229 times.)

cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 12:23:38 AM »

I've had a couple of those on reel glass before, couldn't figure out why they were there so I threw them away. Then a while later I switched to LED lights and threw the ballasts away too...
blueridgeslots
703 730-0821
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1262

703 730-0821

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 12:32:12 AM »

Gotta pick up a new multimeter cowboy.  In the meantime, check out the photos below:

Photo 1 shows the cable that goes in from the wiring harness into the ballast.  It's got a small pcb on it.  None of the other ballast cables have this.  It needs to be there, but I'm wondering if that small component could have gone bad.  it disconnects from the cable connector per photo 2.

I'm assuming that the harness goes down to the door I/O pcb on the door.  This is the board that the VFD connects to and has two flickering green lights on it. 

Other than the ballast, the little pcb on the ballast connector, and the I/O board, is there anything else that you guys can think of?

Jason

It is a Fuse, it blew when your ballast shorted. Just remove it when you install a new Ballast or if your OCD requires you to have one then contact me, I carry them in my Van

Selling Quality Tested and Guaranteed Slot Parts and Machines at Wholesale

http://stores.ebay.com/BLUE-RIDGE-SLOT-SERVICE
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 12:39:51 AM »

Jim, why do they only fuse that particular light? Doesn't really look to be much of a drink spill risk
Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 12:42:06 AM »

Gotta pick up a new multimeter cowboy.  In the meantime, check out the photos below:

Photo 1 shows the cable that goes in from the wiring harness into the ballast.  It's got a small pcb on it.  None of the other ballast cables have this.  It needs to be there, but I'm wondering if that small component could have gone bad.  it disconnects from the cable connector per photo 2.

I'm assuming that the harness goes down to the door I/O pcb on the door.  This is the board that the VFD connects to and has two flickering green lights on it.  

Jason

It is a Fuse, it blew when your ballast shorted. Just remove it when you install a new Ballast or if your OCD requires you to have one then contact me, I carry them in my Van

Just finished up...yep, that was it.  I cut all of the tape off of it to get to it, but I thought it would be easier to check that friggin thing before replacing an entire wire harness.  I'll shoot you a PM.

Thanks for the help gents!

Jason

Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 02:20:06 PM »

Does that fuse protect something else in the line?  In other words, if the fuse is not connected and another ballast goes up in smoke later down the road, could another component in the machine get fried because the fuse wasn't there?

It must be there for some reason.

Jason

Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 345

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 09:34:00 PM »

In a home environment I think you would be fine without it

My S2000 and a few others I have looked at does not have them
if the Ballast shorts the 25V to ground the Power Supply might go out but only if its short circuit /overload protection failed.

A Slot Machine and Coca-Cola Addict!!
"If it is not broke do not fix it" I keep forgetting that!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.