Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 09:31:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  NLG Members who host their own Repair Logs of Various Games.
| |-+  RickHunters Computer Help 101 (Moderator: rickhunter)
| | |-+  tethering iphone to laptop
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: tethering iphone to laptop  (Read 6079 times)
rjpohl
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 103

« on: August 05, 2012, 12:40:46 PM »

Tethering iphone to laptop, anyone have any experience in doing this?  I have an iphone 4G.  My carrier is AT&T.  I've had service with them for 15 years or longer and believe I have the unlimited data plan that is no longer available.  How do I use it to connect laptop to internet and can at&t stop me or charge me more?

thanks
Bob

CVslots
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 432

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 01:39:05 PM »

My AT&T store rep that it would  be $30/month more (almost like an additional line), but that was a few years ago for my Blackberry.

brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 440

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 05:34:56 AM »

They're gonna charge you again for your bandwidth, you're stuck unless you can jailbreak the phone and install a tethering app.

Didn't have to do all that with my Android phone, though, and Verizon can .... .. for the extra fee.   slap slap yes

Thanks,
Bill
rjpohl
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 103

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 09:20:35 AM »

I got it working, jailbreaked it and installed an app (mywifi).  From what I could read on the internet I should be OK for hit and miss use.

thanks
Bob

brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 12:33:10 AM »

Cool!

Thanks,
Bill
rickhunter
SMAA Founder and Chairman
Topic Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 226

I Void Warranties

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 10:41:15 PM »

I got it working, jailbreaked it and installed an app (mywifi).  From what I could read on the internet I should be OK for hit and miss use.

thanks
Bob

You need to be careful, AT&T will inspect your traffic if you go over your average monthly usage.  They do packet inspection to look for the signature of the originating machine, that is how they can tell if it is originated by an iphone app or something else.  If they detect you, they will send you a text telling you to stop tethering or they will automatically move you to a tethering plan and you will loose your unlimited plan.

A slot collector is like a coin hopper in a machine that never pays out.  they just keep on accumulating assets.
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 345

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 05:52:33 AM »

FCC ruled Verizon can not charge extra for tethering

So Verizon has changed their data plans
you pay for how many Gigabytes you want per month and if you go over it going to cost you
I have Verizon and unlimited data, as long as I do not change out of the plan they cant put me into data plan with limits.
I hope they do not try to when I get the Apple iPhone 5 in October. I am not paying $650 for it when I can wait 30 days and get it for $200

Maybe ATT customers need to make FCC aware of what ATT is doing and maybe they can rule that ATT can't charge extra for tethering

A Slot Machine and Coca-Cola Addict!!
"If it is not broke do not fix it" I keep forgetting that!
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 06:16:00 AM »

I'm still under the unlimited data plan on Verizon, the nice thing about the Android phones is you don't have to root them to enable hotspot functionality as you did with the iPhones. I've had hotspot enabled on my phones for 3 years without paying a tethering charge.

by the way, the only reason Verizon can't charge for tethering is because they bought 700MHz spectrum from the Feds and as a condition of the sale they weren't allowed to limit the type of device that accessed the network. The interpretation that charging for tethering was limiting device access is the basis for that decision. Since AT&T didn't purchase any of the 700MHz band from the gov't. they are not bound by that condition, nor is Verizon bound by that decision for devices that don't use that spectrum for their data access. So, depending on the device you have, Verizon can still charge a tethering fee (if the device doesn't use the 700MHz allocation they purchased).

Is there an app out for iPhone that allows hotspot functionality without jailbreaking the phone (with MAC address spoofing so the carrier can't tell you're tethering) yet?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 06:24:59 AM by brichter » Logged

Thanks,
Bill
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 06:26:54 AM »

thanks
Bob

You need to be careful, AT&T will inspect your traffic if you go over your average monthly usage.  They do packet inspection to look for the signature of the originating machine, that is how they can tell if it is originated by an iphone app or something else.  If they detect you, they will send you a text telling you to stop tethering or they will automatically move you to a tethering plan and you will loose your unlimited plan.

Yup, need to make sure the app you use for tethering spoofs the MAC address of the device you tether. If it does, your carrier can't differentiate the source of the traffic and won't know you're spoofing.

Thanks,
Bill
jdkmunch
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 624

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 12:57:21 PM »

thanks
Bob

Yup, need to make sure the app you use for tethering spoofs the MAC address of the device you tether. If it does, your carrier can't differentiate the source of the traffic and won't know you're spoofing.

You have to be careful - if you are using an app on the computer
That isn't available on the phone - such as torrents or a browser that's
Not supported they can tell you are spoofing.

brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 03:35:27 PM »

I'm not so sure this is a risk...  Nerd

There are many torrent clients freely available for both types of devices.  I run the Firefox web browser on my phone (it also runs on the iPad and Windows mobile devices), IE runs on Windows mobile devices, Safari runs on the iPhone and iPad, Chrome runs on iPhone, iPad, and Android phones, Opera runs on all the above, did I miss any?  Scratch Head

From a business perspective, in order to catch someone using that method the carrier would have to do deep packet inspection on every data flow from every device, constantly compare it to a list of supported apps for that specific device (which would need to be updated literally every minute of every day), and most apps don't even identify themselves on the network. Browsers are kind of the odd man out here, as user agent identification is done for sites that optimize for different browsers (but is not necessary and can be spoofed trivially), most apps just use specific ports for specific protocols and are silent about what the app actually is or does. The horsepower required to do this type of tracking on the carrier's network could be described as nontrivial to say the least, and encrypted traffic couldn't even be inspected.

The way every carrier tracks this is by checking MAC addresses, multiple source MAC addresses from a non-tethering device is the tipoff. It's cheap to implement, can be done without buying any special equipment, and is trivial computationally.

I'm not saying carriers can't do what you say, but I am saying that the cost, both computationally and monetarily, is the prohibiting factor, due to the fact that they'd only get a small percentage of the violators using this method and it would be very expensive to implement. I wish they all would, though, as it would be a boon for my company and our sales figures would literally go through the roof!

Also, if the carriers were actually doing this, there would be no market for tethering apps other than the one already on the phone from the carrier since the carrier would identify any violators immediately, and they would be going broke pretty quickly because the number of cheaters they catch and charge would not come anywhere near paying for the cost of implementing this.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 04:30:09 PM by brichter » Logged

Thanks,
Bill
rickhunter
SMAA Founder and Chairman
Topic Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 226

I Void Warranties

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 01:13:51 AM »

FCC ruled Verizon can not charge extra for tethering

So Verizon has changed their data plans
you pay for how many Gigabytes you want per month and if you go over it going to cost you
I have Verizon and unlimited data, as long as I do not change out of the plan they cant put me into data plan with limits.
I hope they do not try to when I get the Apple iPhone 5 in October. I am not paying $650 for it when I can wait 30 days and get it for $200

Maybe ATT customers need to make FCC aware of what ATT is doing and maybe they can rule that ATT can't charge extra for tethering

This ruling does not apply to AT&T.  The issue with verizon is that the spectrum that they use for their service has that particular provision by the FCC, not the case with the spectrum AT&T uses.

A slot collector is like a coin hopper in a machine that never pays out.  they just keep on accumulating assets.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.