Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:36:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Arcade Games, Pinball, Crane Games, Redemption Games and Other Stuff
| |-+  Pinball Games
| | |-+  Can the pinball plastics be straightened, and what to clean the play field with?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can the pinball plastics be straightened, and what to clean the play field with?  (Read 3986 times)
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 308

« on: August 18, 2012, 11:21:59 PM »

I have 2 general question on Pinball machines.. Can the plastic piece be straighten on a pinball machine. I have a Williams High speed machine I'm working on, and I've found quit a few of the playing field plastics to be warped. I'd like to try to straighten but don't want to damage or break them.. Can you use a hair dryer or heat gun to reform them? I'd also like a few opinions on whats the best thing to clean the playing field with? I had one person tell me to use a Mr Clean Eraser and rubbing alcohol? This seem to do a decent job, but it still seem to leave a little of the ground in black behind..

Thanks Gary

If it's jammed, force it... If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway...
Fourbyracer
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 234

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 06:51:52 AM »

Hello.  I have a High Speed and here are some things I have found:  Mr. Clean eraser does work.  For paint, be carefull because it doesnt take long to rub thru the paint.  In other words, be very gentle with it or you will see wood!  On Mylar, you have much more leeway as far as rubbing time but badly abused mylar is very hard to bring back to factory brilliant.  I have had good luck with the old standby--Novus 2 for both.  Use it like a polishing compound or cleaner and it is much less abrasive than the Mr. Clean.  After you get it as shiny as possible, use a good paste wax to finish the playfield.  I have also found that Lysol 4 in 1 cleaner (comes in a squirt bottle) works amazingly well on dirty rubber bumpers.  It pretty much melts the dirt off which is really nice!  If you havent tried that specific product before, spend the $3 and get some to clean the bumpers and flippers--I think you will be surprised.   I too have many warped plastics.  It is pretty standard for pinballs but I have not been brave enough to try and straighten them out with heat.  Good luck!

What we do in life, echoes in eternity...
slotsteve
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 139

we are opened a home sale store on us 58

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 09:50:50 AM »

Having sold close to 1000 pinballs thur auctions , to clean playfields use good car wax it won,t mess up your p/f and it works well , novus is just a wax with some cleaner in it that will remove paint, scrubbing pads also will take off paint, and clear coat, fixing  bent plastic  warm water, good luck enjoy your pin
Mr. Dinoman
Mr. Dinoman
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 139

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 02:07:35 PM »

I have used the heat gun trick on a few of my pins, just be very careful not to over heat!...Lay the plastic on something flat and heat the top side, evenly, then put a heavy book or something and let it cool down...Just be careful!...Good luck...
spalmer
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 03:10:39 AM »

A heat gun does work to straighten plastic but heed other warnings be carefull.  Novus 2 or Millwax does a great job cleaning playfields.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.