Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 10:31:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Arcade Games, Pinball, Crane Games, Redemption Games and Other Stuff
| |-+  Other Arcade Games
| | |-+  Cherry Bonus III- need help with repairs.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cherry Bonus III- need help with repairs.  (Read 2887 times)
RGTFanatic
« on: August 19, 2012, 05:47:40 PM »

Hi all, As this is my first post I think it's best to just jump in head first.

I inherited my Father's Cherry Bonus III arcade style unit recently. The last time it was used (several years ago) everything worked fine. After transporting it to my home I have found some major problems.

-When powering on I can hear the bill acceptor activating. I can also hear the monitor start to warm up. After that nothing happens.........although the bill acceptor will take a $20 bill.

I have found one power switch inside the cabinet and one on the rear ....these function correctly. There are 3 standard glass fuses......all are in good shape (continuity tested).

I know nothing about these machines. I am however fairly capable with electrical circuits and PCB's.

If anyone can, I sure would appreciate some help figuring this out. I know it won't be a "one flip" cure, so I'm prepared to supply any info/pics you may need.

Thank you so much in advance

Ryc
channelmaniac
Surface mount soldering geek
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 568

Few things are better than fixing an old game...

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 03:49:02 AM »

Check the output of the power supply to ensure the +5v is working. Without that the logic board will never work.

Also, check the battery for leaking and damage to the board.

I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

http://www.arcadecomponents.com
RGTFanatic
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 10:46:42 PM »

Thank you Channelmaniac, my battery is indeed bad (heavily corroded on the negative side). The battery is a Varta 3/v60r. I cannot find a replacement online, but have been told that a 3/v80h is a suitable replacement.

I have also looked at many master boards for sale, but they are all different from mine. My battery is mounted on a secondary PCB that is plugged into the main board via one of the 40-pin slots.........does this make a difference??

When replacing the battery, are there any important procedures I should know? any adjustments to be made after the battery install??

Thanks again very much
Ryc
asgard
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 9

Gaming Machine Owner / Operator

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 04:16:11 AM »

I would just buy a new board, the battery acid has probably broken a lot of the traces. When you are putting a machine or board in storage you should always remove the battery or it will leak. You can buy the short CB3 board, your board was a conversion from a F5 to a CB3 that's why you have that kit on it.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.