Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 12:24:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S and S-plus Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  S+? 61 Error won't clear - with chip either...
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: S+? 61 Error won't clear - with chip either...  (Read 17265 times)
modessitt
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 5

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2012, 04:49:04 PM »

I will have access to another machine on Thursday, so if necessary I will test this MPU in that machine and see what happens...
startek2
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 0

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2012, 01:42:27 AM »

I would go with replacing the cmos ram chip!
modessitt

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2012, 05:01:43 PM »

Okay, I had to go on a service call to replace the hopper blade in an s+, so I took this along.  Was able to get the 61 to 61-1 using the white button.  It then showed a 65-3.  Pushed the white button again and got a 65-1.  Turned the reset key and it cleared.  Shut the door, reels spun, and the game was ready to accept coins.  Good.

Took the board back to the shop and put it into the machine and it came up with a 65-1 error (at least no more 61).  Unfortunately, the white button will not do anything.  Can't advance to the next step.  Reset key cycles through the different things, but it's now stuck at 65-1.

I've checked that the white button is working all the way back to the connector that the MPU plugs into.  We know that the MPU will recognize the white button because it recognized the white button in the other machine.  I guess the problem is the X24C04P as indicated in an earlier response (the e-squared chip)?  I looked it up and it says it's a Serial E2PROM.  Does that mean it has to programmed or hard-wired a certain way?  Where would I find a replacement?
poppo
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 248

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2012, 05:17:17 PM »

It' reall sounding like you have a problem with the button. A 65_1 is just bad EEPROM data which is normal after what you did. If the EEPROM was bad, you would have gotten a 65_0.
modessitt

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2012, 05:24:22 PM »

The button tests fine with my meter.  I went all the way back to the white connector on the MB and put my meter on the pads and it shows a short when the button is pressed.  Kind of hard to test that on the board when the board is plugged in though.

If the button works, but the MPU registered the button in another machine, and you have continuity from the button all the way to the white connector on the MB, what else could do it?  I guess I could hard-wire a couple wires to the MPU and rig up a test button to see if it helps...
poppo

« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2012, 06:04:00 PM »

The motherboard could be bad. You can always pull it out and look for damage (a few resistors on there sometimes fry) and check for continuity to the MPU connector. Sometimes coins and such will get under it and cause issues.
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2012, 11:24:56 AM »

I agree with poppo. Do you have a spare motherboard you can try in the problem machine? That would kill two birds with one stone (the EEPROM and the board itself).

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
startek2
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 0

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2012, 01:16:12 PM »

I'm tellin ya....replace the CMOS ram chip it is a socket chip next to the EEPROM....I have had this problem a couple of times and replacing the CMOS ram solved the problem.
modessitt

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2012, 02:21:30 PM »

I'm tellin ya....replace the CMOS ram chip it is a socket chip next to the EEPROM....I have had this problem a couple of times and replacing the CMOS ram solved the problem.

Well, I didn't expect this to work, since I got the MPU to clear and run in a different machine, but I tracked down another 8k x 8-bit Static CMOS (took a while) and put it in.  Had to clear again (came up as 61 and wouldn't advance).  After the clear, the button advanced to 61-1 just fine.  Triggered the reset key and got the 65-1.  Pushed the white button and it came right up.  Working fine now (although it doesn't play music while the reels spin but other sounds work and the yellow lamp on top keeps flashing but no error codes).

Thanks for the help...
poppo

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2012, 05:10:50 PM »

Umm... No it's not. The EEPROM is on the motherboard. The CMOS is next to the Game and Reel EPROM.

Since he cleared the error in another machine with THIS MPU, doubt the CMOS was actually bad. More than likely it was a clear issue since the new one would not advance initially either until a clear was run again.  
Oscar Pompa
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 16

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2012, 09:31:12 PM »

I remember i had that problem before in one of the machines, the problem was the mother board, the little  board at the bottom where the mpu plugs into. as soon as i swaped with other machine i was able to clear the 61-1, so i had to replace it with a new one.
coorslight115
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 79

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2012, 10:56:19 PM »

Put another motherboard in there, have very simular issue with a PE+ and it was the motherboard. Replaced the chip on the motherboard and still could not clear. Replaced board and all was well.

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2012, 10:58:25 PM »

Then the problem wasn't with the chip Coors...did you ever determine what it was that was bad on the motherboard?

Anyways, this is an 8-pin EEPROM (24c04) chip located on the left-hand side of an S+ motherboard.
They are made by different chip manufacturers.
IGT used chips made by Atmel (AT24C04)
and sometimes chips made by the XICOR company (24C04N).

It pretty rare for these to go bad but they do...mainly because of coin dust build up or soft drink spills...>>>

* 24c04.JPG (11.6 KB, 310x233 - viewed 318 times.)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 11:08:10 PM by stayouttadabunker » Logged
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2012, 11:02:55 PM »

Here's an excellent thread from an earlier time that you can look at guys...
NLG is jam packed with information because most of these problems have happened to us at one time or another...>>>

http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=14181.msg159641#msg159641
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.