Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 12:17:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S and S-plus Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  Question and troubleshooting a Blown Fuse 8A 250 VAC
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question and troubleshooting a Blown Fuse 8A 250 VAC  (Read 2936 times)
irishmikey
« on: November 09, 2012, 10:04:44 PM »

Hello all. After doing some research on the internet I ended up here. My machine is model #96400300.

Had a blown middle fuse from power supply the 8A 250 vac. When I replaced the fuse I made the mistake of using a slow blow replacement from Radio Shack. Upon powering up I heard a humming noise and then a little puff of smoke and the distinct burning smell of a failed electrical component Silly Me! Upon pulling the board it is obvious that the Diode CR1 is fried... I want to attmpt to fix this but never have attempted this feat yet.

Looking for some direction from the board. How to fix? Where to get board parts? Is this a common issue? What is the cause of this problem?

Thanks to alll who help. My dads is anxiously waiting for his beloved slot machine to start working again. His comment is lets just send this board out...However I like to fix stuff and do a little research first.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 11:44:02 PM by irishmikey » Logged
CVslots
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 432

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 02:12:36 AM »

May be cheaper, quicker, and easier to buy a replacement board for now, then tinker with the potentially fried board and see where you get while Dad plays his machine! Always great to have a back-up anyway. If you "send it out", chances are, you are going to be told you're board is shot, and will be sold another one. Save some $$$ and go direct.

S+ MPU boards can be purchased from one of the vendors here on the home page. Shouldn't hurt too much, around $50 usually. Also, if your machine has a bill acceptor/validator, be sure to order a Set chip to re-enable your bill validator, as you will need to do so after you switch boards.

Good luck and post back if you get stuck!

P.S.  NLG Welcome

irishmikey
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 04:19:59 AM »

Does it matter what kind of board I buy?  I think mine is a 10mhz. If I get a new board do I have to change reels. I am unsure how these work. I guess I would need a Set chip but I am unfamiliar with that too. The reels and set up I have are double red white and blue 7's
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 04:37:19 AM »

With a new board all you will have to change is two eproms from your old board to the new one.

But you have to ask, why did the fuse blow in the first place. I would think someone a lot smarter than I will be on here tomorrow and give you their ideas.

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
irishmikey
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 10:20:21 PM »

Yes, I am really hoping someone can give me direction on this. Why did the fuse blow in the first place? Whats the first step in diagnosing and repair/replace?
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 01:51:26 PM »

With the coin tray removed and pulling the middle fuse, a bunch of things happen:
1) the deck button lamps go out.
2) the display panel goes out.
3) the reels are de-powered and are loose.
4) I pulled the fuse on a Barcrest machine so I lost all the power t the topbox as well.
5) The fluorescent lamps are still working but that's about it. Did your lights stay on?

Best answer I can give you a this time.
I'm sure that if you looked at the schematics for the power supply, you'd be able to pinpoint the power lines running from that fuse to areas in your machine but basically, somewhere in it...something shorted.

Here's a number of trouble spots:
1) check the wiring in the door harness esp around the hinge.
2) check the harness running up to the candle.
3) see if any wires are "pinched" or cut anywhere....esp. around the bill acceptor area near the door.
4) see if there are any coins UNDER the motherboard...get something long and thin to scoop out any metal from under there.

Buy a small package of fuses because you don't want to be running back and forth to the store if you miss the short.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.