Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:35:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Video Slots** Gaming machines
| |-+  IGT PE and PE Plus Poker Games.
| | |-+  IGT PE Plus Video Poker - Replaced battery - now won't 'boot'
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: IGT PE Plus Video Poker - Replaced battery - now won't 'boot'  (Read 7861 times)
sharky
« on: November 14, 2012, 06:08:27 PM »

Definitely using the wrong term, 'boot', but here is the issue with my IGT PE Plus video poker machine. It is a bar top version, on the system board there is sticker with date of 11/93.  (I am by no means a IGT techie (as you will probably tell), but an IT guy.

I was getting a battery low message so I soldered in a new LS14250 1/2 AA battery (my solder points appear to be fine and the battery is in the right direction based on the '+' on the board  I slid in the board and made sure it is seated properly.  Powering on, the screen gets power (it is green, but that is different issue) but the poker games aren't loaded/showing, almost like the board isn't seated right.  Does the front door have to be attached (didn't think so)?  Could it be a bad/defective battery?  Did I miss something obvious? Attached is a picture of what i am getting with the power on.  I have an issue with the color on it as you can tell.  It usually takes ~1-2 hours for the screen to fully come to life. I am guessing I need to replace the color caps?? From my quick searching on google/here, doesn't sound like a walk in the park for a newbie  Scratch Head

Any guidance on 'non boot' issue would be appreciated.  I will tackle the green screen issue once (if) this comes back to life.   In the attached picture the yellowish dot in the middle is the reflection of a light on my ceiling not part the screen.

Thanks!

* poker green screen.jpg (121.13 KB, 480x640 - viewed 370 times.)
crgadyk
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 35

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 06:18:08 PM »

Is the machine making any noise? Usually you can hear the machine start up. I have a bar top that takes a while for the screen to come up so it looks like its dead as you've described. But after about 5 minutes, it will eventually come to life.

Did you test the battery to see if it was good before installing? You can test it with a multimeter, that would be the definitive way to know if your battery is good or not.
sharky
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 02:13:03 AM »

Thanks crgadyk.  Not hearing any noise other than the buzzing of the monitor.  I will grab my neighbors multimeter and test the battery.  Bought the battery on Radio Shack on Ebay...  If in fact the battery is dead, would that be culprit then (causing it not to even come on)?
crgadyk
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 01:24:16 PM »

It could... dead batteries can cause any number of odd things to happen in a machine.

You should also check under the MPU to see if there might be loose coins. Its in the bottom left of your bartop.

Check your battery first and then we can go from there. I've got 4 bartops all in varying stages of repair so I'm sure we can figure your issue out.
sharky
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 12:14:01 PM »

Thanks crgadyk.  Battery is showing ~3.6 volts so good there.  Will check for loose coins later today.  Darn work is getting in the way.   Tongue Out
coorslight115
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 79

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 08:09:48 PM »

Did not solder the battery in backwards, did you.   Crazy
sharky
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 01:42:03 AM »

Now you got me thinking about the direction of the battery.. I thought i had installed correctly based on the + sign on the board that i highlighted...did I ASSume wrong and be the cause of it not booting? 

* battery.jpg (144.23 KB, 980x731 - viewed 386 times.)
coorslight115
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 79

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 02:06:14 AM »

Now you got me thinking about the direction of the battery.. I thought i had installed correctly based on the + sign on the board that i highlighted...did I ASSume wrong and be the cause of it not booting?  

You have it correct, but this is the plus for the battery

* capture_08.jpg (738.78 KB, 1280x800 - viewed 407 times.)
4 Deuces
Resigned NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 698

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 12:48:17 PM »

Hi Sharky,

I had a similar problem and my issue was that the MPU wasn't plugged in all the way just like you suggested.  I crawled inside and found a small plastic wire wrap that had broke and was laying across the "tracks" of the MPU.  That was just enough to keep the MPU from plugging in all the way.  So, you may want to look for any obstacles that may be preventing the MPU from fully sliding in.

Good luck!

:Dave wave
sharky
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 05:12:53 PM »

Issue resolved!  And man do I feel dumb.   If the MPU could talk it would have been screaming at me saying "why don't you plug in that power pin connector on the MPU board so I will get power".  frying pan  Crazy  I didn't recall unplugging that cable when i took the board out a few weeks ago. So after looking at the board again, I 'saw the light'   applause

In summary....

1)  Battery was installed correctly
2)  'Green' screen was 'normal' as it warmed up (takes a long time) and since there was no 'juice' to the MPU the color remained.  Once powered up, I got the Call attendant message, CMOS data message.
3)  After 5 minutes of searching this forum, one member said to check the fuses.. Well, last night I had removed each of the 3 fuses to inspect them.  One of them was not seeded properly. 
4)  Once reseeded, the reset procedure worked, messages went away....and
5)  Voila!! My video poker machine went from a pale creme background color to a pretty dark blue as shown in the pictures.

This is a great forum, you guys are great!.  I will for sure be back when I run into any issues or have questions.

John

* mpu.jpg (49.58 KB, 480x511 - viewed 408 times.)

* video poker.JPG (572.43 KB, 1224x1632 - viewed 363 times.)
4 Deuces
Resigned NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 698

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 07:44:39 PM »

The Wave

Don't you love it when it's the easy things?  Glad to see you got it working.  Have fun!
crgadyk
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 08:06:31 PM »

Glad to see you got it working. Makes me want to go out and see if I can get a 2nd one running. Right now I have 1 machine with 3 parts machines  rotflmao
JCnBOYS
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 04:15:41 PM »

I'm about to replace my battery in my poker machine.  Hope it goes well.
JCnBOYS
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2012, 06:37:24 PM »

OK, here's the scenario.  I had the PE poker game in my other home for 3 years.
During that time, (whenever it was actually plugged in) the monitor said "Low Battery".
I have since moved to a new home in November and have NOT plugged it in.
Today I removed the MB and replaced the battery.  I put it all back together and plugged her in.
It lights up and I hear a faint buzzing sound from the xformer. 
The bottom Red light from the "Candle" is flashing and there is no picture on the screen.
When I power it down, the CRT has the square squigglies.  So that tells me its getting some kind of power.

Does anyone have any ideas?  Or procedures that I need to follow?
JCnBOYS
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2012, 07:04:46 PM »

Seems that I didn't wait long enough.  It's working now!!  Yayyyyyy!!!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.