Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:31:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Arcade Games, Pinball, Crane Games, Redemption Games and Other Stuff
| |-+  Arcade Games **Video**
| | |-+  Building an MP3 player from a Merit Megatouch Platinum Upright
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Building an MP3 player from a Merit Megatouch Platinum Upright  (Read 3138 times)
channelmaniac
Surface mount soldering geek
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 568

Few things are better than fixing an old game...

« on: December 17, 2012, 06:14:22 PM »

Here's what I did to build mine:

Remove computer from bottom of cabinet. Take one compact P3/P4 system (with built-in VGA video, 1 serial port, and sound card) and pre-stage it with Windows XP and patches. Install the 3M touchscreen drivers and the DW Jukebox software. Set the BIOS to power up the computer upon power loss.

Configure DW Jukebox software to shut down the computer if the <ESC> key is pressed (RTFM!!!) and set the video display to 640x480 VGA monitor and 640x480 resolution with 16M colors. Put the DW Jukebox in the Startup folder. Turn off ALL Windows sounds.

Install the computer in the cabinet. Plug in the VGA monitor, touch screen controller (serial port!), and power.

Install an amplified speaker system. I used a Creative Labs 2 speaker + sub setup, but instead used 2 standard 4" shielded speakers in the pre-made cabinet locations as the desktop speakers were too small. I set the subwoofer on top of the shelf where the coin box is and screwed it in place through the side of the cabinet with a couple of long, pan head, sheet metal screws. Drill pilot holes first!. Connect the amplified subwoofer to power and wire the speakers to the amp. This can be done with some pre-made 1/4" audio plugs to bare wire cables.

Plug amplified speaker system into the computer.

Disassemble a PS/2 keyboard. Look at the mylar film traces and follow the paths for the <ESC> key back to the controller board. These two points are where you will wire a simple Arcade button to act as the <ESC> key. Install the button somewhere on the cabinet. I put mine on the top by the power switch... then plug the PS/2 keyboard into the computer.

Drill a hole on the front of the cab then use some small knives/chisels to make it square. Install a pair of USB ports behind the hole. This is for a USB keyboard and memory stick so you can add more music at any time. Plug the ports into the computer.

Power it up and run the 3M utility to calibrate the touch screen. Don't worry if the edges of the screen don't calibrate well as you'll use those only when running the computer OS.

The touchscreen acts as a mouse when running the OS. When running the DW Jukebox software it acts as a point-touch and will only require you to touch and hold on a jukebox button to activate - no need to drag fingers across the screen.

Power it up, adjust the volume control on the speakers to the max you want, and marvel at the DW Jukebox software. When done, press the arcade button you installed and DW Jukebox will shut down the computer. Power off the cab after the computer powers down.

Turn it back on, plug in the USB keyboard and memory stick full of music. Shut down DW Jukebox (NOT with the <ESC> key!) with Alt-F4 then copy your musinc to the location you told DWJ to use. Restart the jukebox software in Windows and it will index the music you added.

IF the DWJ software shuts down unexpectedly, remove some music files and try starting it again. It builds the index in memory and if you have more songs than it can process it will shut down. Add the music files in smaller chunks as you start/quit the software and it will add the songs to the index as you go.

Enjoy!

I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

http://www.arcadecomponents.com
srarcade
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 0

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 04:08:05 PM »

Nice project! I ended up with a bunch of MegaTouch cabinets too. I can't bring myself to just throw them away, they are such great units, so I'm always looking for cool project ideas like this. I turned one of them into my JAMMA test rig but i swapped the tatung for a 13" happ monitor i had sitting brand new in a box for 10 years with no purpose. I also made a music video jukebox for another unit but the tatung was too low res (doesn't do 800x600) to handle it. I would also like to try making a game console cabinet maybe if i can find an old 13" trinitron or something cool to mount in there.
channelmaniac
Surface mount soldering geek
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 568

Few things are better than fixing an old game...

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 03:21:25 AM »

The monitor I used was a standard VGA touchscreen that only did 640 x 480. It wokred just fine with DW Jukebox. Smiley

I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

http://www.arcadecomponents.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.