Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 01:27:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S2000 and Vision Games.
| | |-+  Resistor Mod
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Resistor Mod  (Read 3198 times)
WILDCHERRY21
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 15

« on: February 06, 2013, 12:54:26 AM »

OK see if someone can answer this one.  I did a resistor mod on my S2000 on both batwing speakers and the bass tray speaker with 15ohm resistors.   When I spliced into the wire i didn't solder the connections i used a small butt connector to add the resistor and had a shrink wrap that i put around it so the resistor wouldn't make contact with the metal cabinet.   Now i didn't heat the shrink wrap onto the wire i just used it as a sleeve for i might want to take it off someday. OK now its been working great. But today i noticed as i was looking Thru the machine that the bass tray speaker wire with the resistor that is covered with this shrink wrap sleeve was normal except where the resistor was underneath the rubber sleeve.  It was formed to the resistor as if i heated it up like it was meant to be but the rest of the rubber shrink wrap is just as loose as when i first put it on. I guess my concern is that normal for that resistor to get that warm/hot to form that shrink wrap around itself? I looked at my other machine and it is as normal as the day i put it on. So my question do i have a short going on or is this normal for resistors to heat up? Second question is ill be converting to the enhanced MPU, mother and memory board so will i still need these resistors or will the sound be better so i can get rid of the resistors? Thanks in advance to all that can help me with this stumper  Scratch Head
-Garett

* Resistor.jpg (636.61 KB, 1224x1632 - viewed 215 times.)

"Throttle Cranked Rubber Side Down"
CVslots
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 432

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 01:17:30 AM »

Hard to know if the resistors heat up and would cause this happen. Maybe play the game for 20 minutes and touch the resistor? This is a mod that has mixed reviews, so not everyone does it.

As to wether or not the sound is "better" with the enhanced board could just be personal preference...again, mixed reviews on these as well. To each his own...but I'm not sure I've heard of anyone doing the resistor thing on the enhanced boards, but maybe so? I would definitely check that one out before doing it, as there has been some talk of the resistors increasing the load on the board.

Roslyn

WILDCHERRY21
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 01:25:22 AM »

Thanks for the input Roz Smiley I really was hesitant on doing the mod. But i think I'm taking them out when the new boards go in. Its just that static hum out the speakers is enough to drive a guy crazy frying pan frying pan frying pan frying pan frying pan Duh! Duh! Duh! Duh! Duh! Silly Me! Silly Me! Silly Me! Silly Me!

coorslight115
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 79

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 02:08:15 AM »

Thanks for the input Roz Smiley I really was hesitant on doing the mod. But i think I'm taking them out when the new boards go in. Its just that static hum out the speakers is enough to drive a guy crazy frying pan frying pan frying pan frying pan frying pan Duh! Duh! Duh! Duh! Duh! Silly Me! Silly Me! Silly Me! Silly Me!
Resistance causes heat, resistors will get hot. Normal function of the component.
WILDCHERRY21
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 02:22:59 AM »

Thanks Coors

cowboygames
Abbys Dad

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 03:04:22 AM »

You can mitigate the heat level by using higher wattage resistors also. Personally, I try not to use anything smaller than 1/2 watt
WILDCHERRY21
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 03:11:13 AM »

I believe they are 1/2watt. ill throw the IR gun on it tomorrow see what temp its running while playing. Like i said i think ill get rid of them all together with these enhanced boards unless there is still going to be that horrific static humming noise, then they will stay.

cowboygames
Abbys Dad

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 04:54:27 AM »

Enhanced board should eliminate the static noise
coorslight115
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 79

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 10:49:28 AM »

You will want to remove the resistors for the proper sound with the enhanced boards. If you have the sound simm installed you will like the new clear static free sound. Make sure your tray speaker connection is good and you are getting the bass from it.
WILDCHERRY21
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 12:28:27 PM »

Good deal! That's what I wanted to hear. By By resistors  Clap Clap.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.