Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:15:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Progressive Controllers, Displays and Slot Toppers
| |-+  Mikohn Progressive Systems.
| | |-+  Panel size on a supreme
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Panel size on a supreme  (Read 5442 times)
Mirage_Chaser
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 7

« on: February 14, 2013, 04:36:37 PM »

Hello all, I am replacing a bad supreme display controller with a new board. Everything is good except for the panels wide/panels tall. My display is two wide and one tall and the new board is set for 4x4. Anyone know how to change this? I swapped all of the removable chips with the old board and no luck, and it dose not appear to be something I can alter in the config mode. It is there but will not adjust. Additionally in the manual it says for Mikohn personnel only and that it cannot be changed.

Can anyone help me... Please...  Help

I want to win by winning... (J. Lemos)
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 05:54:48 AM »

Oh, Lord, I used to know how to do this, but it was such a long time ago that I've pretty much forgotten.

I know that you have to be connected to the Supreme controller via your PC with the typical Mikohn serial cable, and you connect to the controller via HyperTerminal (in Windows), and from a command line in there where you can talk to the sign, you can specify how many panels wide and tall the actual sign is. I don't remember the command, though. Hopefully someone else can fill in the gap in my memory?

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 06:24:46 AM »

Wow, I found it. Steps 22-24 in the images in this post:

http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=146.msg996#msg996

The command for your setup would be:

panel 0 2 1

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
Mirage_Chaser

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 11:56:01 AM »

K+ to you sir.

The bit in the beginning about the modem cable and the PSP cable... Whats the difference. I would be more then glad to make one but also I am not sure how it is going to work because I am using a USB to db9 cable. Maybe it will work with what I have?

knagl

Kevin

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 06:03:58 PM »

You know, I saw that but when I did it years ago I know for a fact that I used the same modified serial cable that I always use to program the Mikohn signs, and it worked just fine.  If you have a cable that you've successfully used to program a Mikohn sign in the past, I'd try that first before making or buying a new cable.

(The difference, for the record, is that the modified Mikohn cable has pins 1 and 5 jumpered (shorted) together on the Mikohn side.  A "standard" serial modem cable has all pins straight through.)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 06:11:52 PM by knagl » Logged

Mirage_Chaser

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 03:36:14 PM »

knagl, as always you have been a big help but any chance you know how to use hyper terminal in xp? And also I don't have a modem and I think that is meant for modem applications? Is there a way to do it with the telnet service in the command prompt? It is not something I have tackled before and I am stuck.

knagl

Kevin

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 04:33:50 PM »

Follow the directions in the first image in the link I provided above to configure HyperTerminal to connect to the Supreme via COM1 (or whatever COM port your computer setup uses for the USB to serial converter you're using). As far as your computer knows, it's using a modem connection via the COM port to talk to the Supreme.

Mirage_Chaser

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 06:14:30 PM »

I have tried to make it work but no matter what I try nothing happens. Text does not appear when I type and though it says it is connected nothing appears on the screen either from my imput or from the controller.

The controller does give a c1 error when the cable is connected but nothing else. I do know that the usb to rs232 does work because I can use it as com1 for psp but it is no go here.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 06:42:27 PM by Mirage_Chaser » Logged

Mirage_Chaser

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 07:12:55 PM »

Some progress, changed the baud on the supreme board to 9600 as well and now when I change the run test in the system menu from some test to off then command will come up but that is immidiately followed by an ansi error.

knagl

Kevin

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 02:55:32 AM »

Some progress, changed the baud on the supreme board to 9600 as well and now when I change the run test in the system menu from some test to off then command will come up but that is immidiately followed by an ansi error.

I guess I'd make sure that all of the communication settings in the Supreme (9600 baud, etc.) match the available settings in HyperTerminal.  It's been a long time since I had to do this, and I don't have a Supreme or the laptop I used with me at the moment.  I do know that I was using an older laptop that had an actual COM port on it and was connected directly from that COM port to the Supreme controller.  (That said, if you've successfully connected to program Mikohn signs with your current setup, I would think it should work.) 

I guess again I'd say to make sure that all of the communication settings are identical between the sign and HyperTerminal, otherwise it'll never talk properly.

If you have a standard (non-Mikohn modified) serial cable, I guess it couldn't hurt to try that, too, to see if it makes a difference.

Mirage_Chaser

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 12:10:43 PM »

So if I turn runbirth to on then while it is running it communicates and shows this:

SSS   U   U  PPPP  EEEEE  RRRR      CCC  H   H   AAA  M   M
S      U   U  P   P E      R   R    C     H   H  A   A MM MM
 SS    U   U  PPPP  EEE    RRRR     C     HHHHH  AAAAA M M M
   S   U   U  P     E      R R      C     H   H  A   A M   M
SSS     UUUU  P     EEEEE  R  R      CCC  H   H  A   A M   M

Version = CSM 3.13
Speed   = 39999660
System RAM CRC Failure
GETTING CRC
CHKDSK Drive A:

Building Sat
Building Fat
DRIVE A: had 0 error(s) corrected.

Building Sat
Building Fat
DRIVE B: had 0 error(s) corrected.
Building Sat
Building Fat
CHKDSK Drive B:

Building Sat
Building Fat
DRIVE B: had 0 error(s) corrected.
CHKDSK Drive C:

Building Sat
Building Fat
DRIVE C: had 0 error(s) corrected.
ROMTEST ................OK
     cls   Clears the screen.
    time   Display or Set the TIME.
    date   Display or Set the DATE.
   birth   Initialize system.
  status   Display system status.
  state2   Display EEPROM contents.
   setc1   Set C1 to not show.
 commtime   Set the time for C1 time-out.
  noload   Set LOADING to not show.
 version   Print the current version number.
COMMAND -->
ANSI error

It goes to command just as it finishes runbirth and then does the ANSI error before I can do anything. Still nothing shows up when I type. I tried to do some of the commands listed and nothing seems to work.

Grumble...  hissy fit Again any ideas?

Mirage_Chaser

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 12:13:48 PM »

Edit--- It seems to communicate whenever it is booting. So if I reset it then I get info from the board while its booting but never in the other direction. I can not seam to send it any information.

Also I have it on auto detect and it always goes to ansiw.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 12:54:43 PM by Mirage_Chaser » Logged

knagl

Kevin

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 04:19:57 PM »

Sounds like you're awfully close. Do you have a regular (non-modified) serial cable you can try that has all of the pins wired straight through? It just struck me that the cable I use is a butchered serial cable that has pins 1 and 5 jumpered together on the Mikohn side, but it also still has all of the rest of the pins wired through (unlike a typical Mikohn programming cable). I'm wondering now if that's the issue.

Mirage_Chaser

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 06:32:54 PM »

It is an unmodified usb to rs232. It works for all applications, including the psp. I did not have to modify it to work. I remember having to modify a cable maybe 10 years ago but that was when it was rs232-rs232 this has been running like this without issue.

knagl

Kevin

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 12:17:47 AM »

Hmm. I'm not sure what else to tell you then.

If you want to ship me your Supreme board I can certainly run the command on there, but that might not be cost-effective.

Do you have access to any older computer with a RS-232 serial port to try and connect to it via HyperTerminal?

Mirage_Chaser

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 07:03:47 PM »

I do not have a PC with a rs232 standard. I will see what I can rangle down and let you know. Can't give up now I am so close!!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.