Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:53:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S2000 and Vision Games.
| | |-+  Theory of Sound SIMMs, SB chips, and Sound Variations
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Theory of Sound SIMMs, SB chips, and Sound Variations  (Read 29291 times)
Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 233

« on: March 28, 2013, 05:56:14 AM »

Hey Everyone,

If we get enough folks that can confirm that this solution works, we might want to make this a sticky topic as this topic has been covered many times in various posts.

Over the past several months, many of us have found out that different sound SIMM's will work with various games.  For example, a couple of years ago, I found out by accident that a Mummy sound SIMM would work in my 3CM Double Diamond Deluxe, but not with a 2CM Double Diamond Deluxe.  So what gives?  Why do certain games come up with an "Incompatible Sound SIMM" type of an error with all sound SIMMs except with the one that has been developed for the specific theme?  Why do other games work with various sound SIMMs without limitation?  A good question for IGT developers, but for those that want to dig in and mix up the sounds, read on!

What we do know is that SBs (base chips) that are numbered as SB1000XX or SB10000X (XX or X being numbers other than 0) appear to accommodate various sound SIMMs and will not produce an error.  This may not be true for all SB chips that fall into this numbering, but below are a few that I have confirmed that work:

SB100021 Bonus Sizzling Sevens 3CM
SB100087 Sizzling Sevens 3CM
SB100089 Double Diamond Deluxe 3CM
SB100009 Triple Lucky Sevens 3CM, Triple Butterfly Sevens 3CM, Triple Red Hot Sevens 3CM, Triple Stars 3CM
SB100097 Crystal Sevens 3CM
There may be others...

My MPU has the following chipset:
SG000363 GME 1&2 chips
VS011GX1 Version chips

Any of these games seem to work fine with alternate sound SIMMs with this configuration.

Now...the part that gets confusing is that some folks, including myself, have noticed that the spin sounds may alternate and sometimes they may play the same spin sound over and over with no variation.  Why is that?  The thought was that the GME chips or Version chips might control this behavior.  Now some games will automatically produce alternating spin sounds and will not require any user intervention at all...Munsters, Mummy, I Dream of Jeannie, and even the good ol "preferred" sounds on the DSV00042 sound SIMM.

Here's a scenario for those that want to tinker.  Let's say I setup Triple Lucky Sevens with my SB100009 SB chip, but I want to install either a Wheel of Fortune (DSV00092) or a Megabucks (DSV00008) sound SIMM to mix things up a bit.  I power off my machine, install the SB100009 SB chip, install the desired sound SIMM, power the machine on and wait for the alarm, turn the jackpot key 4 times, hold MPU test button for 2-3 seconds, close the door, and I should be good to go right?  This is true, but in my experience, the game is only going to produce the same spin sound over and over.

So how do I get the game to produce alternating spin sounds that reside on the sound SIMM you ask?

Do the same thing as above, but this time, dig out your trusty DSV00042 sound SIMM.  In other words I power off my machine, install the SB100009 SB chip, install the DSV00042 SIMM, power the machine on and wait for the alarm, turn the jackpot key 4 times, hold MPU test button for 2-3 seconds, close the door.  Open the door, press the MPU test button, configure the spin, rollup, etc sound settings to "Preferred", exit out of the menus, and close the door. 

Play the game a few times.  Power off the machine.

Now take out the MPU again, take out the DSV00042 sound SIMM and replace it with the Wheel of Fortune (DSV00092), Megabucks (DSV00008), or whatever sound SIMM.  Power your machine back up.  When you play the machine, you should notice that the spin sounds will now alternate the sounds.
I have no idea why this works, but it’s almost as if the installation of the SB chip and the DSV00042 as a starting point, sets a sound path default to memory (somewhere), and when other SIMMs are installed after the initial installation with the DSV00042, those other SIMMs will follow the same path.  How’s that for some technical BS?

Anyway, give this a try if you have a chance, and hopefully this sound voodoo will work for others!

I just picked up a SB100021 Bonus Sizzling Sevens 3CM and a DSV00015.  When I first installed it, I could only get one spin sound to play, and that got old really quick.  After running through the process above with the DSV00042, a whole bunch of new spin sounds were unlocked once I put the DSV00015 back in!  Success!   applause

Below is a video which reflects the spin sounds when SB100021 and DSV00015 are setup with a new installation WITHOUT using the DSV00042 fix.  Notice that the spin sound is the same every time?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/YAjmkl6W8xc&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/YAjmkl6W8xc&rel=0</a>

Below is a video which reflects the spin sounds when SB100021 and DSV00015 are setup with a new installation, WITH the DSV00042 fix, and then reinstalling the DSV00015 again.  Notice that the spin sound changes with each spin?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sxP6qrThgyI&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/sxP6qrThgyI&rel=0</a>

For those that want to investigate EVERY possible sound that resides on any sound SIMM, perform the following:

Turn the jackpot key once
Hit the Cash Out button twice to get to 4 I/O Tests
Hit the Spin Reels button
Hit the Cash Out button once to get to 4.4 Sound Test
Hit the Cash Out button once to get to 4.4.2 MMLB Sound File Test
Use the Cash Out and Change buttons to move left or right through each of the sound files.  Use the Spin Reels button to play the sound file.

When you are done playing with the sound files, hit the Play X Credits button several times to exit out of the menus.  The reels will spin and the game will be ready to play.

Cheers!
Jason
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 05:17:42 AM by Yoeddy1 » Logged

Yoeddy's IGT Slot Machine Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/Yoeddy1
SLOTMAN
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 34

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 10:10:25 AM »

Very nice post, I wish I could at least get to the "preferred" to show up.  I have yet to see it with 2 mmlite boards and a 42 in addition to a 84 using a 363 game chip.
FORDSBS
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 363

PET

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 10:30:17 AM »

Jason,  The Wave Dancing Party +1 (Karma, or whatever)
CVslots
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 432

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 02:39:47 PM »

Wow Jason, cool find....and very well explained. Ive caught bits n pieces of it from you guys talking about it, but this sums it all up in one place! Now off to dig through sound SIMMs!

Slotman - are you using a GX1 version chip?

Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 02:59:19 PM »

Very nice post, I wish I could at least get to the "preferred" to show up.  I have yet to see it with 2 mmlite boards and a 42 in addition to a 84 using a 363 game chip.

SLOTMAN, which game are you trying to set up?  There are certain games that simply do not allow the DSV00042 "preferred" options as part of the configuration...unfortunately. 

Double 3x 4x 5x Times Pay 3CM (SB100783) is a great example.  Cool game, but the DSV00042 "preferred" sounds are locked out from this particular theme.  It is what it is.

Jason

qbert
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 30

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 04:41:40 PM »

Jason,
Great post  +1 (Karma, or whatever)
This explains many things about mm lite configuration.

Thanks
I still have some questions regarding some sg chips affecting specific game sounds.
Maybe another topic to post.

Rich
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 05:14:54 PM by qbert » Logged
SLOTMAN
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 34

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 06:36:51 PM »

SLOTMAN, which game are you trying to set up?  There are certain games that simply do not allow the DSV00042 "preferred" options as part of the configuration...unfortunately. 

Double 3x 4x 5x Times Pay 3CM (SB100783) is a great example.  Cool game, but the DSV00042 "preferred" sounds are locked out from this particular theme.  It is what it is.

Jason

Trying a triple butterflys along with a enchanted unicorn.  I tried the DSV00042 and 84.
PLUNGER BOY
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 255

plunger buddies DEAD BOO HOO

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 12:57:57 AM »

K+  To Jason. +1 (Karma, or whatever)  The switching  to the DSV00042 simms and setting it up for preferred on all in the sound options then returning the DSV00029 simms WORKED. applause  I now have different sounds on the reel spins . I guess i never needed a different stepper chip  Silly Me!     SPECIAL Note for BUZZ  ttth Stop BURNING . Thanks Guys  P.B.

SELL me your  TERMINATOR  I GAME TOP GLASS AND BELLY   ( Round Top )
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 02:55:48 AM »

What we do know is that SBs (base chips) that are numbered as SB1000XX or SB100000X (XX or X being numbers other than 0) appear to accommodate various sound SIMMs and will not produce an error.  This may not be true for all SB chips that fall into this numbering, but below are a few that I have confirmed that work:

SB100021 Bonus Sizzling Sevens 3CM
SB100087 Sizzling Sevens 3CM

My MPU has the following chipset:
SG000363 GME 1&2 chips
VS011GX1 Version chips

Any of these games seem to work fine with alternate sound SIMMs with this configuration.

So how do I get the game to produce alternating spin sounds that reside on the sound SIMM you ask?

Do the same thing as above, but this time, dig out your trusty DSV00042 sound SIMM.  In other words I power off my machine, install the SB100009 SB chip, install the DSV00042 SIMM, power the machine on and wait for the alarm, turn the jackpot key 4 times, hold MPU test button for 2-3 seconds, close the door.  Open the door, press the MPU test button, configure the spin, roll up, etc sound settings to "Preferred", exit out of the menus, and close the door.  

Play the game a few times.  Power off the machine.

Now take out the MPU again, take out the DSV00042 sound SIMM and replace it with the Wheel of Fortune (DSV00092), Megabucks (DSV00008), or whatever sound SIMM.  Power your machine back up.  When you play the machine, you should notice that the spin sounds will now alternate the sounds.
I have no idea why this works, but it's almost as if the installation of the SB chip and the DSV00042 as a starting point, sets a sound path default to memory (somewhere), and when other SIMMs are installed after the initial installation with the DSV00042, those other SIMMs will follow the same path.  How’s that for some technical BS?

Anyway, give this a try if you have a chance, and hopefully this sound voodoo will work for others!

Hi Jason,

First, I want to confirm that your number above – SB100000X  â€“ was a typo, since all IGT chips are eight characters long (letters & digits), so it should be SB10000X.

Given that it's actually supposed to be a six digit number, I'm sorry to report that I'm currently visiting Buzz, we just tried this with a Cigar (SB100001) as you described and it didn't work.  bawling

Buzz tells me that there's a cigar thread currently under discussion, so I'll pop over and give it a read shortly.

Okay, I read the other thread and watched Bettor Slots Cigar Youtube video. From what I can tell, Cigar, like Munsters, has a long piece of music that repeats but is much longer than the time it takes to spin once. It plays a piece of the tune during each spin and continues from there on the next one. This longer piece of music most likely takes up all of the room on the sound SIMM so there isn't room for multiple spin tunes. I could see where someone might think that the individual pieces of the longer tune are "different" spin sounds when they are really just the continuation of one longer piece of music.

Plunger Boy, can you videotape your machine so we can listen to several spin sounds? Is it possible to get a video of the way it was before the fix as well?

I took a video of our game and will post it shortly in the other thread. One thing I did notice is that the tune Buzz's machine plays is not the same one that Jim's plays on his video. (another mystery.)

Anyway, it's probably still worth trying this trick out with other games. We might end up having to make a specific list of games that work rather than being able to state that a blanket range of SB numbers will or will not be successful.

Stat garfield

<Edits>
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 03:33:57 AM by StatFreak » Logged

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
StatFreak

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 03:34:54 AM »

Correction: Jim's video and mine are playing the same tune. My bad.  Tongue Out

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
StatFreak

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 03:54:52 AM »

Geez, I start posting after being away for months and end up with my foot in my screen.  Crazy Tongue Out

Actually, YoEddy's fix DOES work. We tried it again and without the DSV00042 the game plays the first notes of one song but never advances further (same notes every spin) and the "preferred" sound option isn't available. Using the DSV00042 allows one to turn on the preferred sounds and that unlocks the full tune on the DSV00029. I'll still post our video in the other thread.

red-faced Stat garfield  arrow rotflmao

Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 04:49:32 AM »

Sweet!  Glad it's working!  Again, I have no idea how many games this will work with, but I'm certainly curious to see how deep the rabbit hole goes.  I've added some videos in the original post demonstrating the A/B comparison with Bonus Sizzling Sevens, and also a little nugget of information that will show us how to explore ALL sounds that reside on the DSV sound SIMMs.  

Enjoy!
Jason
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 05:05:28 AM by Yoeddy1 » Logged

Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 09:36:32 PM »

Jason  Just a little tid bit, as you may or may not know a S 2000 sound simm  is DSV*****, a I Game sound simm is DSS***** I didn't  think this would work but I had to try. I installed a Tabasco I Game sound simm in a Tabasco S 2000. The S 2000 didn't even recognize a MM II board even being installed in the machine. ( Right after turning the power on machine  booted right up with no long wait.) No enhanced sounds at all. and no errors.

Now yesterday same Tabasco machine I tried your trick with a DSV00042 to see if it would open up any other sounds. As for as I could tell there were no changes. But you did not say and I did not do a clear before installing the DSV00042.

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 10:22:58 PM »

Yeah Buzz, I haven't ever tried a DSS in my S2000.  I had just assumed that they wouldn't have worked, but with these crazy machines, one never knows.

All of the themed games that I have alternate the spin sounds when the correct SB is used with the themed DSV...Mummy, Munsters, I Dream of Jeannie, Tabasco, Jekyll & Hyde, Crystal Sevens.  These never require the DSV00042 trick.

The themes that I have seen that appear to be a mixed bag when it comes to the spin sounds are:

Cigar, Titanic, Chainsaws & Toasters, and I wonder if Phantom of the Opera would fall into this group as well.

For example, you and Stat just discovered and resolved this with Cigar in another thread.  C&T is another one that usually produces the same spin sound over and over, however, have heard this one alternate as well, but have never understood why.

Check out Titanic:

Single spin sound:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/CwmVoXOzDJs&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/CwmVoXOzDJs&rel=0</a>

Multiple spin sounds:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4JNbD1d6-Ew&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/4JNbD1d6-Ew&rel=0</a>

The one that I'm really curious about is Phantom of the Opera.  I've only heard the single spin sound with this one, but it makes me wonder if the DSV00042 trick would unlock other sounds for this one as well.

If somebody has Titanic, Chainsaws & Toasters, or Phantom of the Opera, this would be cool to confirm.

Thanks,
Jason

Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 10:30:34 PM »

Funny that these are all non-backlit themes too.  Coincidence?

Jason

Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 10:44:30 PM »

Jason  I have one that's labeled Titanic Sinking, DSV00027.  Wonder if the main sounds it makes is of Flipper swimming past the Boat.    stir the pot / get cooking stir the pot / get cooking  Better yet, some black cabin boy running by hollering " OHHHH  Shitttt "

CVslots

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2013, 12:10:35 AM »

Someone has a Phantom of the Opera, have them try it...wasn't it IFFV68?

Magicslots
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 62

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2013, 12:26:41 AM »

Phantom shows to be:
 PHANTOM OPERA DSV00004

I didn't have have it , but I think a friend nearby does, I'll do some digging...

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has no heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains."  (Sir Winston Churchill)
PWRSTROKE
Resigned NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 246

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2013, 01:44:53 AM »

Read this to the end and got tired.  What cpu/processor you using?  Tried this on ENHANCED?--B.  (I may have missed it somewhere in there).
CVslots

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2013, 01:50:58 AM »

I think it's a regular 50x series...

Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2013, 02:36:43 AM »

Dave, I still have a lot of them.  Most are going to a bulk deal on parts,etc. .  I apoligize again and you are correct on your statement from another topic and post.  I am retiring from this site and closing the account.  Just to damn busy with all other to deliver like the old days.  I still do help folks but they contact me via-other for items.  No need in me spending countless hours anymore for new stuff that I have and would gurantee when others just buy in bulk.  In the past if I was able I wanted to test everything I was able to if the test platform was avail. I do like most all here but this forum/site is no where near what it was in the past.  Thanks. --Was here for a long time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boy that was a short retirement.

Last time I saw Joey I mentioned that you were wanting to resign from the site, he said you had never called him. but if you really wanted off the site to  make the phone call and to make sure to remind him you were the one bad mouthing him when he made his Son a Gold member and not you. It also will speed the process along if you mention the post about the size of his Wife and Family. ( as I recall he was really pissed the day you posted that )

Britanski
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 13

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2013, 08:25:24 AM »

For those that want to investigate EVERY possible sound that resides on any sound SIMM, perform the following:
Turn the jackpot key once
Hit the Cash Out button twice to get to 4 I/O Tests
Hit the Cash Out button once to get to 4.4 Sound Test
Hit the Cash Out button once to get to 4.4.2 MMLB Sound File Test
Use the Cash Out and Change buttons to move left or right through each of the sound files.  Use the Spin Reels button to play the sound file.
When you are done playing with the sound files, hit the Play X Credits button several times to exit out of the menus.  The reels will spin and the game will be ready to play.

Great info and demos!  Sorry, I'm new to IGT slots, so please forgive my ignorance.. . .
Okay, I found 214 sounds total: coin, roll sounds, roll-up starts, loops, ends pieces and more (I'm an audio SFX producer, so I understand how they work together), but I'm guessing this doesn't mean that, since I can hear them, I can assign them as I wish. 
Additionally, I have the "R" board 5 reel, 40 line unit with the SB001000 chip. So I think I can assume I'm screwed .. err I mean "limited with options".   muted
I found no sound options you mentioned when working with my particular Key chip 'RBK00001'.  But glad to see this info via forums like this.
I think these 40 line units are not as popular as IGT wished them to be...    Tongue Out  I think I'll keep this machine in the parlor, where it belongs, for general play.   zzzzzzz
Thanks!  
Neonkiss

Total Karma Storms: 436

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2013, 12:31:33 PM »

Jason  I have one that's labeled Titanic Sinking, DSV00027.  Wonder if the main sounds it makes is of Flipper swimming past the Boat.    stir the pot / get cooking stir the pot / get cooking  Better yet, some black cabin boy running by hollering " OHHHH  Shitttt "

OK,
I tried this with my Titanic and yes the sounds now alternate after using the DSV00042
I then installed the DSV00006 and was pleased to see the other sounds. I have before checked the different sounds between the two version of Titanic and could not see a difference through the menu's.
But I did then install the DVS00027 (sinking Titanic) and noticed the difference is in the reel stop sounds. The roll up sounds are still the same and alternating.

Yoedie1,
You have two Titanic machines? One sinking and one floating.
Do you work for World Wide Gaming? I see the machines is listed with their logo.

Nothing brings people together better than a common enemy
343 / 60 brothers lost on that day.
Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2013, 01:23:40 PM »

No, these are just random videos that I've seen on the internet.  I don't work for WW Gaming.  I'm just a schlump that likes playing with slot machines.  Cheesy

As far as the R boards go, I don't have any experience with those.  All of my testing is on a Rev 504B board.  I would also assume that the 5 reel games may have limitations, but again, until somebody gives this a try, we'll never know. 

Jason

PWRSTROKE
Resigned NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 246

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2013, 06:24:42 PM »

Dave, I still have a lot of them.  Most are going to a bulk deal on parts,etc. .  I apoligize again and you are correct on your statement from another topic and post.  I am retiring from this site and closing the account.  Just to damn busy with all other to deliver like the old days.  I still do help folks but they contact me via-other for items.  No need in me spending countless hours anymore for new stuff that I have and would gurantee when others just buy in bulk.  In the past if I was able I wanted to test everything I was able to if the test platform was avail. I do like most all here but this forum/site is no where near what it was in the past.  Thanks. --Was here for a long time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boy that was a short retirement.

Last time I saw Joey I mentioned that you were wanting to resign from the site, he said you had never called him. but if you really wanted off the site to  make the phone call and to make sure to remind him you were the one bad mouthing him when he made his Son a Gold member and not you. It also will speed the process along if you mention the post about the size of his Wife and Family. ( as I recall he was really pissed the day you posted that )
You Have mail -B.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.