Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 04:07:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S2000 and Vision Games.
| | |-+  No Volume Control???
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: No Volume Control???  (Read 10461 times)
CVslots
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 432

« on: March 30, 2013, 03:29:30 PM »

Ok, so maybe some of you have experienced this, but I couldn't find anything when searching on it. It wasn't a huge issue, since we have the parts, but I could see it costing someone some $$$ and a whole lot of time and Tylenol if they didn't have the parts on hand.

We set up a game and couldn't turn down the volume. Volume was set at 2 in the menu, but it was truly the equivalent of a machine on 10.  We were literally yelling to be heard when playing the game, and that was with tape over the speakers! With ears ringing, we started throwing parts at it.

Swapped out the MPU (502 for a 504b)...NOPE!
Swapped out the MML2...NOPE!
Swapped out the amp and top box sound harness...NOPE!
Swapped out the Sound SIMM...NOPE!

Since this was a "new to us" kit, I was thinking it was a bad sound SIMM and was planning on replacing it (although a swap didn't fix it, for whatever reason, I was still suspecting it. Could have been the Jekyll&Hyde theme/sounds fogging my brain, I dunno.)  arrow

So Darrell decides he needs the cabinet for a different game, changes it out, and surprise, surprise....SAME ISSUE!!!! But this time, with no MML2 or DSV at all, and a different MPU.

Only component not swapped?  Scratch Head  The MOTHERBOARD!!!!!!

Even with the volume on 1, this machine is a Senior Citizens Special...so when our ears stop ringing, we'll put in some resistors (easier than swapping the motherboard) and move on to the next machine.

-Roslyn  wave

qbert
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 30

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 05:07:02 PM »

Roz,
May be a dumb question
Is it a 'Reel Touch' machine?
 If this is a "Reel Touch" Volume is adjusted in "Setup" and then "LCD Volume".

Rich
CVslots

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 07:58:09 PM »

Thanks, but no, just a regular run of the mill S2000. It was weird, we thought at first it was "user error" and the changes to the volume weren't  being saved, but that wasn't the case. If you go in menu to change the volume, its already turned down, just isnt conveyed to the rest of the machine. And it is crazy loud...

Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 233

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 11:52:43 PM »

Seems like the issue stays with that particular cabinet then eh Roz?  About the only other component that can think of in addition to your motherboard idea is to change out the speakers themselves.  I rarely have my volume up past 1 with a 504B.  Some themes are a bit more quiet and can warrant a volume level of 2, but it's rare.

Jason

Yoeddy's IGT Slot Machine Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/Yoeddy1
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 345

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 12:14:45 AM »

You might have an attenuation problem with the Amp in the top box
try a different amp and the harness from the left corner to amp.

A Slot Machine and Coca-Cola Addict!!
"If it is not broke do not fix it" I keep forgetting that!
Neonkiss

Total Karma Storms: 436

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 12:17:06 AM »

You could always do a RAM clear and see how loud the siren is when  wide open.   rotflmao rotflmao rotflmao

Nothing brings people together better than a common enemy
343 / 60 brothers lost on that day.
erbs
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 66

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 12:37:02 AM »

Roslyn,  I had ran into the same problem with 2 machines awhile back. Had to move some plugs ( or wires within the plug ) that plugged into the inline amplifier board in the back of the top box to get lower volume. I will look for the info.
CVslots

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 01:56:19 AM »

You could always do a RAM clear and see how loud the siren is when  wide open.   rotflmao rotflmao rotflmao

Yah, that was REFRESHING!!!! About 9 times later and I was covering my ears...jeez...I'm telling you, if you have never had a machine up on MAX/10 volume, it is something to experience, let me tell ya!!!!

CVslots

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 02:01:26 AM »

Seems like the issue stays with that particular cabinet then eh Roz?  About the only other component that can think of in addition to your motherboard idea is to change out the speakers themselves.  I rarely have my volume up past 1 with a 504B.  Some themes are a bit more quiet and can warrant a volume level of 2, but it's rare.

Jason

I suggested that, but Darrell shot me down...but thanks for the bullets...when I read it to him,he flipped me off, so we'll see!  If I can get him to comply (hahaha) and change out the speakers, I'll let you k ow if that's the fix!  rotflmao

Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 03:46:09 AM »

I'm with Darrell, no way in hell  would I listen to a woman even if she was right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
staz
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 156

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 09:45:32 AM »

hey Roz another option would be to put a enhanced board in it...... like one machine with a 504b i set the volume to 3 but on my machine with a enhanced i have to set the volume to 5 to get the same volume as my 504b machine...... seems the enhanced boards need higher volume levels.......also you can always put resisters on the amp wires that drops the volume down!!!
erbs
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 12:05:11 PM »

Found it, had to move the 2 jumpers on the 10 pin plug. When the volume was loud there was no wire in position 1 & 5. When fixed position 6 & 8 were empty. I had done 2 machines this way and it worked on both. Move the jumper from the 8th and place it in the 1st position, move the jumper from the 6th and place it in the 5th position. Hope I have explained it well. Use the pics I have posted. The 1st one is when the volume was loud, the second was fixed. Hope this helps. Ed

* DSCN3581.JPG (202.19 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 304 times.)

* DSCN2226.JPG (1482.57 KB, 2592x1944 - viewed 414 times.)
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 12:08:33 PM »

Nice move erbs!  applause Kudos+ to ya!
I played with those amp jumpers before on mine and got some various volumes but never documented what I was mucking around with.
I fiddled with them knowing I had a spare amp nearby in case I saw some smoke! LoL
CommTech
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 251

Joe

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 02:15:50 PM »

Jason

I suggested that, but Darrell shot me down...but thanks for the bullets...when I read it to him,he flipped me off, so we'll see!  If I can get him to comply (hahaha) and change out the speakers, I'll let you k ow if that's the fix!  rotflmao

I agree with Darrell on this one. No way the speakers would have anything to do with to much audio.  ttth
I think Erbs has the right idea!  yes
CVslots

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 02:51:38 PM »

Wow!!!!!! Great find erbs!!!!   The Wave

We will give it a shot as the games not leaving for a week or so.

BIG Thanks to ALL who contributed....except Buzz of course!  frying pan

CVslots

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 05:30:23 PM »

Jumper fix took care of the issue. Thanks to ebbs for the great find and the pics! Excellent!

Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 233

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 08:17:59 PM »

Good to know Roz.  I looked at my GK and S2K amp boards and the jumpers are in the correct positions.

So did some of these amp boards come from the factory this way for a reason?  What rev boards are these?

Jason

Yoeddy's IGT Slot Machine Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/Yoeddy1
PLUNGER BOY
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 255

plunger buddies DEAD BOO HOO

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 08:37:56 PM »

Good to know Roz.  I looked at my GK and S2K amp boards and the jumpers are in the correct positions.

So did some of these amp boards come from the factory this way for a reason?  What rev boards are these?

Jason
HEY Jason Why do you think they call them JUMPERS ??  Scratch Head   ( Answer)   Because they JUMP  from post to post when you are not looking  .  bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing

SELL me your  TERMINATOR  I GAME TOP GLASS AND BELLY   ( Round Top )
CVslots

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2013, 01:03:59 AM »

Jason

I don't know really Jason. I'm still wondering how ebbs found this???  Scratch Head Scratch Head

This machine is a very early S2000 machines...I can look tomorrow to see what Revision the amp is. We only have a 4-5 left from the load, so I'll try and see if they were all the same amp?

erbs
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2013, 02:25:53 AM »

I'm glad it worked for you.  applause To be honest with you I Cant take full credit for the fix, had help from someone else. Cant remember who, is been 2+ years ago.  Scratch Head
CVslots

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2013, 01:18:15 PM »

Well thank you very much for taking the time to share. I will get the amp details in hopes that will help shed some light on when the fix may be needed.

CVslots

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2013, 09:08:59 PM »

Amp is P/N 76924502, Rev. A.

knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 07:37:51 AM »

Even with the volume on 1, this machine is a Senior Citizens Special...

Ha!  This made me laugh out loud.

K+ to erbs for posting the solution.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
CVslots

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2013, 01:09:32 PM »

Even with the volume on 1, this machine is a Senior Citizens Special...

Ha!  This made me laugh out loud.

K+ to erbs for posting the solution.

Oh you can't even imagine...it was awful....but glad you got a laugh!  bust gut laughing bust gut laughing   Turn a machine up to 10 and see what I mean...1-2 pulls is like "Oh wow, that's loud!"...30 minutes  later, the language gets worse.

mvco
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 41

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2013, 11:21:55 PM »

Speaking of sound volume, here is one I will throw out.  usually, a volume setting of two is perfect for my liking.  However, some machines are a bit loud on setting 2, but too quiet on setting 1.  Would be nice to find a happy medium.  Has anyone tried adding potentiometers to the speaker lines, to see if that can be used to fanagal a perfect volume setting?

Thanks
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.