Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:36:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S and S-plus Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  Need help with a Hest game.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Need help with a Hest game.  (Read 9395 times)
Slam
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 12

« on: April 21, 2013, 11:51:17 PM »

Hi all, I just picked up 2 of these machines at an auction. Does anyone know how to get these up & running? Everything seems to be intact with the exception of some kind of junction box. I will post some pics. The machine in the middle. Thank you.

* say cheese 001.JPG (632.91 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 298 times.)

* say cheese 004.JPG (502.91 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 255 times.)
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 03:44:50 PM »

The machine, as I'm sure you can tell, is a modified IGT S+ upright machine (just like your two other machines on either side of this beast).

From what I've read, the top box with the video screen would have been linked to some kind of a central computer server, and without that you're kinda dead in the water.

All hope isn't lost for the machine, however.  You should be able to remove the video screen section and convert it back to a traditional IGT S+ machine like the others in your collection.  The custom "Say Cheese" game in there isn't an IGT game, although the paytable matches the 3CM Double Diamond game, EXCEPT for getting paid on three blanks.  If you covered up that part of the paytable and installed standard Double Diamond chips, you could (likely) keep the current glass and reel strips.  You could also just buy a different round top glass kit, reel strips, and software to convert the game to any other IGT theme.

We'll need to see, however, if they made any modifications to the MPU board or the motherboard to get their custom video stuff working.  Can you post a couple of pictures of inside the machine in the area behind the hopper?  You can also remove the MPU board (with the power OFF, always, when inserting or removing the board) by lifting straight up on the black knob on the silver tray behind the hopper until the board is released, then pull the tray towards you to remove it from the machine/

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
Slam

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 09:16:10 PM »

Thank you for the quick response. I pulled the mpu, pic below. Looks to have the standard s-plus mother board. I did pick up 2 servers along with these machines (no software with them though).

* say cheese 002.JPG (579.69 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 287 times.)

* say cheese 003.JPG (833.84 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 313 times.)
proten
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 210

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 11:11:23 PM »

That MPU looks like a cross between a desktop
computer mother board and a slot MPU board.

In your 004 picture the missing part looks like
It would be a power supply.

One step at a time.
Slam

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 10:21:35 PM »

Any idea what kind of power supply I should try? I traced the wires, from what I can see they go to the pc portion of the mpu board, The upper fluorescent light fixture is spliced into the main power cord for the power supply. there are also jumpers going to the existing power supply. I do have an extra power supply like the one in the picture, rated @ 60w, not sure what kind of voltage that board requires though.
proten

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 10:51:22 PM »

I guessed from the looks of the wiring and position.

I don't know which power supply you need but I would guess
that it would be like the one that's still there.

One step at a time.
Slam

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 10:55:44 PM »

Guess I'll hook it up & see what happens Smiley   Not real sure how to hook all the wires up.  red to mpu
                                                                                                                           blk to mpu
                                                                                                                           yellow to mpu
                                                                                                                           yellow spliced into small red & yellow to Bv
                                                                                                                            blk spliced into small blk & blu to Bv
 Heres a pic of the terminals on the power supply. So far I have power wire in  blu to terminal L , purp to N, Yellow to ground, White for fluorescent to L, blk for fluorescent to N.

* cheese 003.JPG (525.92 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 276 times.)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 11:52:48 PM by Slam » Logged
proten

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 12:15:37 AM »

If you look close you will see that some of the wires point the way,
there are some wires that jump from one to the other.

Black and white is you 110 ac
green is ground

If its like the computer then:
Yellow is +12 volts DC
Red is +5 volts DC
Black is ground

Where are you located?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 12:30:50 AM by proten » Logged

One step at a time.
Slam

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 12:53:53 AM »

Spring Tx. 
proten

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 02:22:38 AM »

I'm by Austin
If you were a little closer I'd run over and help.

One step at a time.
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 03:22:55 AM »

I pulled the mpu, pic below. Looks to have the standard s-plus mother board.

Interesting stuff.

I think you know the difference, but just to be perfectly clear and make sure we're on the same page, the MPU board is the board mounted in the removable silver tray, and the motherboard is the fixed board mounted on the bottom of the machine that the MPU board plugs in to.

The MPU board on your Hest machine is a custom job made by Hest.  About the only similarity to a S+ board is that it uses the same connectors to plug in to the motherboard.  They must have done some pretty slick reverse-engineering to make those things work.

It seems like you're wanting to head down the path of making the after-market stuff work.  While I won't say, "don't do that", I do think you're likely wasting your time with it, but that's just my $0.02.  If I owned the machine, I'd be stripping out the after-market Hest stuff and converting it back to a traditional S+.  You've got a great resource on either side of the Hest machine in the two stock S+ machines you have for visual reference.  Once you have the Hest stuff all disconnected, you could try throwing one of the MPU boards from your stock S+ machines into the Hest machine to see if you can get it to behave as a traditional S+, and if so then go ahead and get another standard S+ MPU to put in the machine for good.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 430

I DONT SELL ON EBAY ITS NOT ME .

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 10:21:43 AM »

I pulled the mpu, pic below. Looks to have the standard s-plus mother board.

Interesting stuff.

I think you know the difference, but just to be perfectly clear and make sure we're on the same page, the MPU board is the board mounted in the removable silver tray, and the motherboard is the fixed board mounted on the bottom of the machine that the MPU board plugs in to.

The MPU board on your Hest machine is a custom job made by Hest.  About the only similarity to a S+ board is that it uses the same connectors to plug in to the motherboard.  They must have done some pretty slick reverse-engineering to make those things work.

It seems like you're wanting to head down the path of making the after-market stuff work.  While I won't say, "don't do that", I do think you're likely wasting your time with it, but that's just my $0.02.  If I owned the machine, I'd be stripping out the after-market Hest stuff and converting it back to a traditional S+.  You've got a great resource on either side of the Hest machine in the two stock S+ machines you have for visual reference.  Once you have the Hest stuff all disconnected, you could try throwing one of the MPU boards from your stock S+ machines into the Hest machine to see if you can get it to behave as a traditional S+, and if so then go ahead and get another standard S+ MPU to put in the machine for good.

No insult intended .. but i would go the same route Kevin said ..STRIP OUT  out the "HESS" JUNK .
then put in a regular IGT S-PLUS  board--with any standard IGT game theme .then get any IGT KIT &  convert it back to a useable machine ..

if anything i may leave the center video screen and turn it into a photo frame etc so you can watch pictures while playing .. or hook a mini cam to the top of machine facing out into room then wire it to existing  video screen  & watch out who is behind you while playing ?? 
as far as resurrecting the HESS stuff .. what are you going to gain ?? except a video screen that may come on with a pile of error codes because its not connected to any server -other than the rest of lights on machine may light up ?
my old saying if its beyond the cost of repair-->>>>meaning can i buy a working model for what its going to cost to fix this one <<< --part it out -or turn it into a usefull slot machine or use cabinet as a organ donor for another project . and last ..they make great lamps ..
Rocket

The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, WHAT YOU CHOOSE TO POST , what you think & what you do is who you become.
ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 10:26:59 AM »

new new curious if you could post a side view of the stacked cabinets of the HESS MACHINE .
I would like to see the method they used ??HESS? OR WHOEVER MODIFIED IT ?
as to how they filled the gaps from from the square top to the round top from a side viewpoint ? or is it wide open held together with sheet metal screws ??

thanks in advance if you post a few side view pictures .
Rocket .

The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, WHAT YOU CHOOSE TO POST , what you think & what you do is who you become.
Slam

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 02:36:44 PM »

Heres a couple pics for ya. As for converting it back to an S-plus, that is most likely what I will do. I am however, curious to see if I can make it work in its modified condition. Unfortunately I'm not versed on the wiring end of things here. If you have an idea where I should hook them up, ie: black wire from mpu to -v or +v, yellow spliced wire to -v, +v, ground etc. it would be most appreciated.

* cheese2 002.JPG (514.42 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 263 times.)

* cheese2 003.JPG (454.92 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 264 times.)
ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 03:37:02 PM »

HONESTLY --

i would not attempt to try it myself in fear i would cook the existing slotmachine harness  if wired incorrect .
you notice now i did not even say S-PLUS harness
IF  EVERYONE LOOKS AT PICTURE 003 OF THE SAY CHEESE PICTURES OF THE MAIN BOARD ON BOTTOM ITS DATED  IGT 2005 says igt interface

you will notice on top of the mess is a "DIAMOND SYSTEMS" board dated 1998  that is  lol a   sister /daughter /cousin /brother inlaw board  mounted on top of the mess .most likely the Diamond systems is just player tracking etc .

then on lower right you have a 2005 IGT  BOARD stamped interface  on what seems to be the bottom .
we all know the S-PLUS was discontinued before 2005 . so is  it even a S-PLUS operating system with the Hess stuff removed ..
my opinion NO !

« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 03:50:26 PM by ROCKET » Logged

CommTech
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 251

Joe

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 08:52:30 PM »

I absolutely agree with Rocket on this one. DO NOT attempt to hook up wires to a power supply without knowing all of the connections. ttth You will more than likely FRY or at least permanently damage something. frying pan

I will say that I am fascinated by this unique machine. propeller  I would love to know were it came from and if someone had the wiring diagrams for it. yes
Defiantly has nothing in common with a real S Plus machine, other than some physical similarities.  no 
Slam

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 03:39:41 PM »

Thank you everyone for the info, ideas, & warnings, associated with this machine. I am going to take your recommendations & just set this one up like an S-plus retaining the current faceplates & running a D- Diamond chip set. I do however have 2 of these machines, the other a is a bit beat up, so I'm planning on wiring it up just to see what happens. If I toast it, no worries. I only paid $16 apiece for them. I will let you know the outcome, & post some pics of the Say Cheese upon completion. Thank you again.
ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2013, 07:10:41 PM »

Clap Clap Clap Clap
Do a video of the HESS one you plan on firing off so you can YOU TUBE IT when it burns .. lol   Scratch Head Scratch Head Scratch Head

CommTech

Joe

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 08:45:01 PM »

Thank you everyone for the info, ideas, & warnings, associated with this machine. I am going to take your recommendations & just set this one up like an S-plus retaining the current faceplates & running a D- Diamond chip set. I do however have 2 of these machines, the other a is a bit beat up, so I'm planning on wiring it up just to see what happens. If I toast it, no worries. I only paid $16 apiece for them. I will let you know the outcome, & post some pics of the Say Cheese upon completion. Thank you again.

Hang on a minute.  ttth  Before you hook up random wires to power supplies, let's see if we can't at least guide you in the right direction as to possible correct connections.  propeller
If you are willing to put the time in to taking a lot more pictures and tracing back some of the wiring, maybe...Just maybe we can see if we can't get some signs of life out of this.
You have nothing to lose since you are willing to sacrifice the machine anyway.  yes

ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2013, 08:49:20 PM »

Bring machine to spagetti dinner I will leave pistol behind toilet. Kill it.to tough for piano wire. Lol

Slam

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2013, 09:52:17 PM »

Sounds good, I am not going to worry about the lights or the Bv at this point. So we only have 4 wires to deal with, red, yellow & 2 blk all going to the mpu board. If we manage to not completely fry the machine, I'll have to meet up with Rocket at the spagetti dinner to finish it off Smiley & yes I will go ahead & roll the camera for the initial power up, breakin something is always alot more fun when you can replay it & share with others. lol

* cheese3 001.JPG (658.78 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 268 times.)
CommTech

Joe

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2013, 10:12:10 PM »

That looks like typical computer wiring.  Yellow wire will be +12Volts DC, The Red wire will be +5 Volts DC and the black wires will be Ground. yes
If you have a computer Power supply, you may want to use that to power up the MPU board. yes
ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2013, 10:13:22 PM »

Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap

Its always more fun to  REPLAY  VIDEO FOOTAGE  when you goof up .. bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing
30 years ago i had secured a 8 feet tall stockade wood fence that had blown over in middle  to the back of a 4 wheel drive pickup  truck that had blown over in a storm .
it was upright again to block off a secured parking lot at night .. worked ,,,,,,,,,perfect video cams on each end and middle .. the idiot got in his truck in the morning to leave work .. started the truck and drove off with 40 feet of stockade fence in tow .. that was ME LOL

the second blooper caught on tape was my marriage lol when she reads this there may be a third  Silly Me! Silly Me! Silly Me! Silly Me! Silly Me!

CommTech

Joe

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2013, 11:02:48 PM »

Guess I'll hook it up & see what happens Smiley   Not real sure how to hook all the wires up.  red to mpu
                                                                                                                           blk to mpu
                                                                                                                           yellow to mpu
                                                                                                                           yellow spliced into small red & yellow to Bv
                                                                                                                            blk spliced into small blk & blu to Bv
 Heres a pic of the terminals on the power supply. So far I have power wire in  blu to terminal L , purp to N, Yellow to ground, White for fluorescent to L, blk for fluorescent to N.

This is obviously the Second power supply that is shown connected in a previous picture, correct?  Scratch Head
This power supply will NOT be used to power the MPU board.  It only has one output.  no
Can you tell me what is written on the Power supply tag?  What is the output voltage?

Did this power supply come already wired as shown in the previous picture, or did you connect the wires as shown?  Scratch Head

ALSO ... you said you had a second HEST machine.  Does the second HEST machine have the same parts missing as this one?
Slam

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2013, 11:21:41 PM »

The power supply in pic 004 was in place & already wired up. They have multiple wires on each port. including jumpers to run the main power to the second power supply.                                       It is a meanwell S-60-24. I looked it up, it has a 60w output. The second machine is missing the same parts unfortunately.

* meanwell 001.JPG (546.82 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 274 times.)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.