Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:18:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Arcade Games, Pinball, Crane Games, Redemption Games and Other Stuff
| |-+  Arcade Games **Video**
| | |-+  Pong bar tale stop one of the first three made.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pong bar tale stop one of the first three made.  (Read 14091 times)
KirknDee
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 10

« on: May 01, 2013, 05:36:28 AM »

I have a working pong game. This one was never built so that token or coins were required. It a sit down  style usually found in bars. I can post the info if needed plus a picture. Great shape. Does anyone know what this would sell for and where to sell it. I live in the Las Vegas, NV area.

Fair Winds and Following Seas

Kirk
ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 430

I DONT SELL ON EBAY ITS NOT ME .

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 09:47:20 AM »

I have a working pong game. This one was never built so that token or coins were required. It a sit down  style usually found in bars. I can post the info if needed plus a picture. Great shape. Does anyone know what this would sell for and where to sell it. I live in the Las Vegas, NV area.

you can sell it anywhere you want ?? eBay -graigslist -here -- value is what someone is willing to pay .. sorry to be vague on value

post pictures ---the pictures are worth a 1000 words . you may find a collector who may want it ?

with all the modern day games out there you may have to give it away .. ??  old does not mean its worth more more money .. you can buy a retro ATARI TODAY FLASHBACK -3 has 60 games & FLASHBACK -4 has 75 games today  built into the game console for 29.99 -39.99 when it originally sold for 99.99 for the ATARI 2600 game console & two controllers   ---plus a single cartridge cost 10.00 bucks
so as you can see why would someone pay any great size of money when you only have one game PONG ??
hope this helps out

Rocket

The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, WHAT YOU CHOOSE TO POST , what you think & what you do is who you become.
KirknDee

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 12:23:55 AM »

I will get this if and post this weekend. I had a major water leaking under the kitchen sink last night so I will be swimming for a day or so.
Rocket- Thanks for the info.
Regards,
Kirk

Kirk
KirknDee

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 01:55:20 AM »

The Pong Machine is a Speedball Mach II by Assembly Corp, Costa Mesa, CA., Model: ASC-2, Ser: 1269.
I will get some picture as soon as I can. Thinks have been busy here. This machine never used coins it was one of the first made. I have emailed D Winter to find out more.
Regards,
Kirk

Kirk
KirknDee

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 05:49:11 PM »

I haven't received an email from D Winter yet. I bdelieve this game was made in December 1969. I know I neede to contact collectors but how do I find that out. Should I go to an antique dealer or auction house,
Regards,
Kirk

Kirk
ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 09:16:16 AM »

I haven't received an email from D Winter yet. I bdelieve this game was made in December 1969. I know I neede to contact collectors but how do I find that out. Should I go to an antique dealer or auction house,
Regards,
Kirk

your best bet to find any interest or anything is LINK ON BOTTOM .. although it sounds interesting but unless you have
" DOCUMENTED PROOF" this is the one of the first 3 PONG EVER MADE ?? it will be a hard sell to convince anyone .
considering there were most likely a guess on my part 25 prototypes built before it was marketed.. so you may have just a few prototypes with no documents .. one of the first 3 offered to public etc or who knows what or where they are on the production line  etc the bottom line other than a collector?? no every day  home owner arcade collector will want a single game cocktail cabinet taking up space in there home .. i don't say this as a insult --common sense that's all .
most people who buy a cocktail cabinet want a min of 40 games to play or up to 300 game options to play . but for the single game of "PONG" i would rather myself watch grass grow myself . so as a builder and seller and collector myself of "vintage"  arcade games the value would be to the "specific" collector of "pong"in a cocktail cabinet .

once again trying to help >>not trying to insult your game <<. just stateing facts ..
so try the guys & gals over here at KLOV

>>>  http://www.arcade-museum.com/  <<<

The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, WHAT YOU CHOOSE TO POST , what you think & what you do is who you become.
KirknDee

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 01:24:13 AM »

I really do appreciate the info. I got the machine when our neighbor moved. This machine was never set up for coins. I will post pictures as soon as I get time to get a few.

Kirk
slotsteve
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 139

we are opened a home sale store on us 58

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 11:01:03 AM »

10 days later and still no pic?
ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 01:53:10 PM »

SINK IS STILL LEAKING ??

slotsteve
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 139

we are opened a home sale store on us 58

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 02:22:24 PM »

SINK IS STILL LEAKING ??
lets hope not there would be mold by now
KirknDee

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 04:01:28 PM »

CaptainHappy Worried
These are not the best shots but they will have to due for now.

* Overall Machine off shows switches.jpg (197.45 KB, 1504x1000 - viewed 305 times.)

* Good interior shot.jpg (240.62 KB, 1504x1000 - viewed 311 times.)

Kirk
KirknDee

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 04:11:05 PM »

More Pic

* Two Player small.jpg (31.67 KB, 1504x1000 - viewed 311 times.)

* Machine on single player small.jpg (34.36 KB, 1504x1000 - viewed 284 times.)

Kirk
ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 05:50:10 PM »

i contacted a friend of mine who is well known expert in the field of vintage video games "YOUR PONG IN PARTICULAR"
 this was his reply from doing it for 35 years plus and holds patents of his own on video ganes 

hope this helps
ROCKET

======================================================================
There is some value to a few collectors out there for early prototypes of certain games.  Those games would typically be, the first of its kind, or a game that was either never produced, or was only made in a limited run (didn't go into full production). Probably just like any other collectable.

Computer Space (deemed as the FIRST video game) and PONG by Atari.  But I think Atari had a different name when it was developing PONG.  There were plenty of rip offs almost instantly.  It could be one of those companies.

You would probably have to either compare the boards, or the actual circuit design if the boards look "hand wired".  Obviously, you could also compare the cabinet style for starters. But that doesn't mean they didn't make changes by production time.

It might be "Tennis" by Ralph Baer's designed in 1968

http://www.pong-story.com/atpong1.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_video_game

ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 05:52:36 PM »

i contacted a friend of mine who is well known expert in the field of vintage video games "YOUR PONG IN PARTICULAR"
 this was his reply from doing it for 35 years plus and holds patents of his own on video ganes 

HE PUTS THINGS INTO PERSPECTIVE FAST ..
hope this helps
ROCKET

======================================================================
There is some value to a few collectors out there for early prototypes of certain games.  Those games would typically be, the first of its kind, or a game that was either never produced, or was only made in a limited run (didn't go into full production). Probably just like any other collectable.

Computer Space (deemed as the FIRST video game) and PONG by Atari.  But I think Atari had a different name when it was developing PONG.  There were plenty of rip offs almost instantly.  It could be one of those companies.

You would probably have to either compare the boards, or the actual circuit design if the boards look "hand wired".  Obviously, you could also compare the cabinet style for starters. But that doesn't mean they didn't make changes by production time.

It might be "Tennis" by Ralph Baer's designed in 1968

http://www.pong-story.com/atpong1.htm

ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 05:56:35 PM »

A FEW OTHER LINKS INCLUDED IN HIS REPLY

http://www.pong-story.com/atpong2.htm

ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 05:28:33 PM »

new new new new new new new new new new

CHECK OUT THE FIRST TWO LINKS LOL "PONG DOUBLES""

THEN THE OTHERS -BUT COMPARE PICTURES OF FIRST TWO LINKS BELOW SCROLL DOWN TO SEE PICTURE & COMPARE WITH PICTURES POSTED  ..

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9075

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=10006

==================================================
NOW THESE

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=10006

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8126

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9075
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 05:36:33 PM by ROCKET » Logged

KirknDee

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 04:36:44 PM »

Thanks for checking into this for us. I will check out the sites you quoted. Been a long week I caught some kind of bug and may have to go into the hospital next week. I will keep in touch and can send a few more pictures.
Regards,
Kirk

* DSC_0876.JPG (206.45 KB, 1504x1000 - viewed 316 times.)

* DSC_0882.JPG (237.64 KB, 1504x1000 - viewed 289 times.)

Kirk
ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 09:13:11 PM »

new new new new new new new
OK I WILL STICK THIS ONE OUT
I spoke to one of my mentors in the trade .. same one that gave me the info i posted before
very talented person ..holds pattens of his own etc on arcade games designed by him etc been in business 35 -plus years .

i sent all pictures you posted .. not all of the conversations we had since parts were  of how is the family etc non connected to post ..
so to speed to his latest reply after i sent the last two pictures you posted to him about a hour before this post . !
=========================================================================================
below is reply by my mentor

Still not much to go on there.  I can't find any info on a company Assembly Services Corporation.  There is a TASC but they were formed in 1991.

First off, it would be my guess that ASC was the assembly contractor for whomever originally built/designed the game/electronics inside.  This use to happen all the time in the video game industry.  Someone would come up with a design or product, but have no actual facility to build and ship games.  In, steps a contract assembler to do the work.  Sometimes, even using their name on the product.

The model number ASC-2 might just be for the cabinet and have nothing to do with the game itself. If it is, then logic would say it is the 2nd version of something from before.  Again, not the FIRST PONG.  Additionally, the serial number could be an actual number like 1269.  Or, it could be a date code of some kind, like 12th week of 1969.  But that would only be useful if they built 1 game a week.  It could be the 12 game built in 1969 but then their serial numbers would all end in 69 and not be sequencial.  That would be a nightmare to track.  So, I would lean towards it being the 12th hundred and 69th game/cabinet that was made.

The other intersting thing is the picture of where the switches and buttons are.  That is a typical cutout and bolt pattern for a chrome coin mech plate.  So, the cabinet was designed for a coin op game.  But, I supposed an existing cabinet could have been used to build a prototype. HOWEVER, if this is supposed to be a very early if not the first PONG prototype game, then what game could have possibly been built to go in that cabinet PRIOR to it being used to build the prototype???

Here you will see such a coin mech plate.  Commonly used on 1000's of arcade and then video games in the early years:

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7561

It is sounding more an more like this is just another one of those companies that jumped on the Video Tennis Band waggon what was to be known as PONG.  There was a point in the very early days of pinball (1930ish) where there were supposedly over 1500 companies in America churning out PINBALL Games.  Almost all copies of Gottlieb's Baffle Ball.  Which was nothing more than a bunch of nails on a board, with a coin mechanism for dropping the balls to shoot.

I WANT TO SEE A PHOTO OF THE F******G BOARDS PLEASE.  None of this cabinet crap. Next, he will be showing us a photo of the KNOB! 

What makes it all worse is back to that monitor in the picture.  Those are from 1975-78 era.  And, like I said, to have that 15 Pin AMP snap lock connector and nice clean wiring makes it also look like the game is from much later than 69.

so thats what  my good friend has to say about this .. although helpfull it still does not give us any more info to go on . since the original post i made not being a pong inventor that they could of built 25 plus prototypes or more before one hit the market . but we know once it even was thought of "PONG" it was reproduced RAPIDLY BY MANY ..

I even offered a simple question i thought of after i sent him the post . about the word PADDLE on game cabinet this was his reply to that
only because PADDLE MAKES MYSELF THINK OF TENNIS ??
===================================================================================
HERE IS THE REPLY

They were almost always refered to as Paddles.  I think it came from the idea that this was more like Table Tennis than the outdoor sport where you could move around all of the court. There was a later game where the rotary knob was replaced with a joystick which meant that your flat white "Paddle" could be moved all over a certain area of the playing field.  This probably made the game harder to play although I remember getting in front of the ball and pushing it towards the other player. Which really meant nothing since the logic was the second the electronics detected your paddle occupying the same spot as the ball, it just reversed the direction of the ball.

I didn't know anyone used the term Flipper until Atari's Pin Pong.  But I am sure there were others since the FLIPPER was such a common term from pinball.

AGAIN JUST TRYING TO HELP YOU OUT --DONT KILL THE MESSINGER    ttth ttth ttth

Rocket

ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 09:18:38 PM »

I really do appreciate the info. I got the machine when our neighbor moved. This machine was never set up for coins. I will post pictures as soon as I get time to get a few.

HE WANTS PICTURES OF THE MONITOR MORE CLOSELY AND THE MAIN BOARD HE WILL TELL YOU IN A NANNO SECOND WHAT YEAR THE MONITOR IS ..

zarobhr
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 178

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 11:46:31 PM »

HE WANTS PICTURES OF THE MONITOR MORE CLOSELY AND THE MAIN BOARD HE WILL TELL YOU IN A NANNO SECOND WHAT YEAR THE MONITOR IS ..

here is a link to what appears to be the manual for the monitor pictured based on the model number of XM501-10A noted in the picture
the manual is copyright 1974

http://arcarc.xmission.com/PDF_Monitors/Motorola%20XM%20501-10%20(19in)%20and%20%20XM701-10%20(23in)%20Service%20Manual.pdf
ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2013, 01:24:29 AM »

Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap
GOOD JOB ZAROBHR

I looked at the monitor picture again then down loaded it to my good computer after your post
that can enlarge without distortion .. the numbers look correct ..
mystery solved 1975 is a few years ahead of 1969 

value now as i said from get go???? since its not original or even if it was one of first 3
its got a 1975 monitor in it .. so its far from original

automobile comparison :
compared to a 1968 vette numbers matching car  with a 427 engine 4-speed std trans  with tri power carbs 435 hp VALUE ==BIG COIN !!!
yours  may be a 1968 vette but now has a 1975 big block chevy engine out of what   truck a boat -crate engine off the dealer shelf ??

I hope you understand the comparison I am giving to you ? to a collector its not numbers correct .
in your case its not monitor correct if your still going with a 1969 manufacture date of cabinet
 which would make me wonder if the entire pong could be a newer model ---or  a knock off as we discussed thousands were made?
or it is a 1969 cabinet?? modified with a 1975 monitor -in short it ruins the BIG COIN value --no documentation ---etc
Rocket  ------------out !!

KirknDee

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 08:00:44 PM »

Thanks for the work on looking this up. I got it from a neighbor that moved. I wasn't looking for big bucks just the right place to sell it. It takes up space in my garage and I was afraid it word get damaged. Sorry for the slow response but I have been sick for over 10 days with 100 to 103 temp, good thing they say doctors are practicing. Sorry for the incorrect info of first 3 made that was what I was told.

Kirk
ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 08:39:59 PM »

no problem its the challenge we like .. the color screen was not even a thought of mine .. since we take that for granted .

i collect many old original counter tops made buy MERIT--JVL--PACE-AKA the  original US. GAMING that's now POT OF GOLD etc  \even countertops that i have original in mid to late 70's and early 80's were black and white .. then some were black and white and used a
plastic CRT cover over the face of tube that had tints of red green blue to simulate color on a black and white screen . this was into the early 80's ..so for your 69 pong to be color would be rare .. back that far it was all TV sets mounted for the most part ..

when you get well post some pictures of the main wiring boards .. it would be interesting to see what they look like ..
i agree on practicing medicine lol

its a gamble at times 

Rocket

KirknDee

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 10:01:33 PM »

I could possible look this up where are you located?  I'm a retired Marine Engineer living in Vegas area. Not many ships berth here without making the front page of Newsweek.
Regards,
Kirk

Kirk
ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2013, 09:33:15 AM »

I could possible look this up where are you located?  I'm a retired Marine Engineer living in Vegas area. Not many ships berth here without making the front page of Newsweek.
Regards,
Kirk

my last post must of got lost in the HOT VEGAS DESERT ???..
I just asked when you get over your illness .
if you could post pictures of the main boards of the "PONG" GAME IN QUESTION .IT WOULD BE INTERESTING TO SEE WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE .My guess is follow the wires from the CRT tube of to below the tube or around the switchassembly you posted pictures on of the side ..

IF a ship appears in the desert .. you are ill lol  rehydrate at once lol ...

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.