Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:54:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  NLG Members who host their own Repair Logs of Various Games.
| |-+  Channelmaniac's Arcadecomponents' Old School Repair Logs (Moderator: channelmaniac)
| | |-+  Feedback Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feedback Thread  (Read 71876 times)
Blueslots
Contributing NLG Member
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 12

« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2012, 09:43:39 AM »

Tips from other forum members:

Quote from: cfh
I just go to the local party store and buy a small bottle of lighter fluid (naptha). it works great for removing old label goo. when i burn new EPROMs i just use a sharpie and black out the quartz window. then one swipe with the lighter fluid, and the EPROM is clean for a good erase. if the EPROM is not temporary, then i'll put a 'real' label on it.

Quote from: Jay
I buy goo gone at our local grocery store or home depot. Its kind of yellowy in color and smells of citris as well.

Quote from: CaptainHappy
I have found that the part that means the most is the window when it comes to cleaning... I do a little trick nowadays when I have burned a eprom and it is label time. I cut little pieces of scrap paper sized to cover just the window, and then I put the label over that. This way the adhesive doesn't mess with the critical window opening. When I remove labels I start it with a razor blade and pull a little of the label back for gripping, and then (after repositioning the razor) I push with the razor side to side at an angle while I pull on the tab of the label and it usually comes up pretty clean. I then clean with an alcohol cleaning pad. For tough ones I have used the razor blade and wd40. I will have to remember to try the goo gone and other adhesive cleaners mentioned.

Quote from: ricker
I like the little paper to cover window. Makes sense. I have used fingernail polish remover(acetone) in the past for removal of adhesive. Seems to work well.

Quote from: StatFreak
I wasn't able to find Goo Gone locally; I bought it at MCMOnline for $7.89 for a 12oz bottle. They make big refills too.
The best and the cheap way WD 40  never fails
channelmaniac
Surface mount soldering geek
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 568

Few things are better than fixing an old game...

« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2012, 06:24:25 PM »

The best and the cheap way WD 40  never fails

Thanks!

I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

http://www.arcadecomponents.com
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2012, 07:10:10 PM »

OK I'll go along that WD 40 will clean a board, now what do you use to clean the WD 40 from the board ?    WD 40 being a oil base product and dirt/dust tend to stick to a oily/ greasy serface what have you gained ??

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
Jimise
Don't pick it up by the candle!
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 75

« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2012, 08:02:11 PM »

At least the board wont squeak  Tongue Out
OK I'll go along that WD 40 will clean a board, now what do you use to clean the WD 40 from the board ?    WD 40 being a oil base product and dirt/dust tend to stick to a oily/ greasy serface what have you gained ??
Neonkiss
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 436

« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2012, 09:26:35 PM »

NO, After the WD40 you put it in the dishwasher.
 WIFE!!! WIFE!!! WIFE!!! WIFE!!! WIFE!!! WIFE!!! angry-kitty censored hide1

Nothing brings people together better than a common enemy
343 / 60 brothers lost on that day.
channelmaniac

« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2012, 02:14:45 AM »

You can use a simple, safe degreaser that won't eat plastics or take painted letters off of chips.

WD40 won't eat plastics like Goof Off does. Goof Off also takes letters off of some chips.

I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

Tech12
« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2012, 02:59:03 PM »

Just been reading some of Channelmaniacs repair logs, some really excellent information for people wanting to repair their games etc applause
channelmaniac

« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2012, 03:46:50 AM »

Thanks!

I share information to try and help others. Cheesy

4 Deuces
Resigned NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 698

« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2013, 01:52:49 PM »

Clap  Thank you for maintaining this thread.  C64 was my first computer.  Now that I know I can get help with one, I might try to hunt one down and reminisce my teenage summers glued to the computer. propeller  Inspired by Zork, I actually wrote my own text adventure game around age 12. arrow
channelmaniac

« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2013, 04:21:07 PM »

Thanks!

I try to share my knowledge on various systems. On the C64, I copied the code for the PLA chip and have it on my site freely available for download. That code has been incorporated into MESS to improve emulation. Of course, I sell freshly programmed NOS PLA chips on my site, but the code is there for anyone to use to program their own PLA.

I love these older systems! There's just something about them that brings back a lot of memories of being a kid in the 80s. Smiley

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.