Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:04:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  NLG Members who host their own Repair Logs of Various Games.
| |-+  Channelmaniac's Arcadecomponents' Old School Repair Logs (Moderator: channelmaniac)
| | |-+  Q&A Thread
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Q&A Thread  (Read 136369 times)
hairy otter
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 0

« Reply #200 on: January 07, 2014, 02:06:24 PM »

I spend some time tying to follow the tracks that are grounded, but its hard because if I try to beep where the track reapears, I often find an other ground. While tracking my eye caught one chip with 2 burned pins, its a smd with allot op pins, it says nec D65024GF035, and I cant find any info about it. One burned pin goes to +5v and the other GND. On to of the chip is a small bump so I think there's some internal damage.
This means the end for my repair attempt.
channelmaniac
Surface mount soldering geek
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 568

Few things are better than fixing an old game...

« Reply #201 on: January 07, 2014, 02:25:29 PM »

Yup. Sounds like the chip is toast.

Can you post a close-up picture of the chip?

I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

http://www.arcadecomponents.com
hairy otter

« Reply #202 on: January 07, 2014, 05:00:50 PM »

Here's the picture you asked for:

The bump I first noticed is below the "P" of JAPAN, now I also see a large crack between the two burned pins.

In full: Link   http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3790/11822836523_765190589d_o.jpg

BTW thanks for your support,  Hail
channelmaniac

« Reply #203 on: January 07, 2014, 05:20:18 PM »

Yeah, that one is toast for sure. I see 2 cracks in the top of it too.

I did some digging and all I see are Chinese suppliers but no data on the chip.

I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

danzig8155

« Reply #204 on: January 11, 2014, 05:26:10 PM »

Hello Channelmaniac. Long time listener, first time caller here.

I had a Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting board that I sold to a gentleman on another forum. When I tested the board in my test cabinet before posting it for sale, I was sure the sound worked. The gentleman, being an avid SF fan, says that not all the sounds work properly. Here is his quote:

"Only part of the music and sound effects are coming through while other parts do not, even when volume is turned up and down both on the pcb and on the cab. Sort of like an orchestra is playing with half the instruments missing."

I'm wandering if this is a few bad roms or, from what I've read on a few of your fixes, the Z80? I've never come across a board that had some audio not working. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

"There is no knowledge that is not power"
channelmaniac

« Reply #205 on: January 11, 2014, 08:31:31 PM »

Shouldn't be the Z80. If that were out you'd have no sound at all.

Look for gouged traces on the bottom of the A board and the top of the B board around the 3 ROMs for sound. 1 of them is the Sound Program ROM and 2 are for sound effects that play via the OKI sound chips.

Try to determine if the music is playing and the sound effects are missing. if so, check those 2 effects ROMs to see if they are bad.

Next on the list of possibilities would be incorrect sound program ROM or sound effects ROMs. So many of these boards and ROMs get swapped around by people that it's possible that they are mismatched sets.

If they check OK in an EPROM programmer and the traces are good then I'd recap the sound section on the A board. Those caps rarely ever go bad so I'd check the other items first.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.