Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:12:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Progressive Controllers, Displays and Slot Toppers
| |-+  Mikohn Progressive Systems.
| | |-+  Noob question on Mikohn system
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Noob question on Mikohn system  (Read 9440 times)
Slam
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 12

« on: July 30, 2013, 11:51:54 PM »

Finally rounded up the parts to put together this progressive system in my S-plus. Powered it up & got the alternating $0.00 - C10. I read though the forums here & learned that I am going to have to use an older comp, acquire the psp files, make a plug to hook into the computer & make the necessary changes to the controller. Well I tore apart my storage unit & found an old pc with XP on it, dug through some boxes of wires & found a 9 pin data wire to splice into a 6 prong on the controller side. my question is from Left to right what are the pin numbers on the J6 prongs on the controller board, & is there a special psp file I need to download?   Thank you.

* j6 008.JPG (804.27 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 365 times.)
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 04:05:20 AM »

Nope, you don't connect there.  You'll use the DB9 connector on your computer's serial port and the one on the Mikhon ChamII+, as seen in the following picture:

See the attached .pdf file for instructions on the special cable you'll need to make (or alter your current cable) so that it'll talk between the computer and your Mikohn device.

* PSP RS232.pdf (96.71 KB - downloaded 220 times.)

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
Slam

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 10:31:04 PM »

Nope, you don't connect there.  You'll use the DB9 connector on your computer's serial port and the one on the Mikhon ChamII+, as seen in the following picture:

See the attached .pdf file for instructions on the special cable you'll need to make (or alter your current cable) so that it'll talk between the computer and your Mikohn device.
Thank you, I made the cable as shown in the link, downloaded psp onto the pc, when I try to start the program it says "run time error 8005 port already open"   Any ideas?
rickhunter
SMAA Founder and Chairman
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 226

I Void Warranties

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 03:41:53 AM »

That error means widows XP is not allowing access to the serial port.  Whenever I programmed my Mikohn (and it has been a while) I would always boot to msdos and do it from there.  Always had issues using even windows 95 to do this.  But booting to a dos disk would always work.

A slot collector is like a coin hopper in a machine that never pays out.  they just keep on accumulating assets.
Slam

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 04:31:16 PM »

No idea how to do that Sad
rickhunter

I Void Warranties

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 04:46:25 PM »

google USB msdos boot drive, you are sure to find lots of ways.  Then put the psp software on it and off you go.  If your old machine has a floppy drive, it's even easier.

A slot collector is like a coin hopper in a machine that never pays out.  they just keep on accumulating assets.
Slam

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 05:14:18 PM »

google USB msdos boot drive, you are sure to find lots of ways.  Then put the psp software on it and off you go.  If your old machine has a floppy drive, it's even easier.
I just made a dos boot disk, restarted the pc & am in dos mode. What do i do from there?
rickhunter

I Void Warranties

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 11:47:11 PM »

did you put the psp software in it? just type psp and hit enter

Slam

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 11:54:40 PM »

did you put the psp software in it? just type psp and hit enter

yep put the psp file on the same disc, when i type psp & hit enter it says bad command or file name.
rickhunter

I Void Warranties

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 12:47:53 AM »

the psp softare might be in a directory type
dir and hit enter and post the results.

Slam

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 01:03:43 AM »

I hit dir & this is what I got.

* dir 002.JPG (503.49 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 352 times.)
rickhunter

I Void Warranties

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 01:12:53 AM »

You don't have the psp software there.  Did you unzip the psp download into the usb drive?  you should have these files in there.

* psp.jpg (37.41 KB, 419x557 - viewed 322 times.)

Slam

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 01:23:04 AM »

Thought i did, will check real quick.
Slam

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 01:37:09 AM »

did not unzip it.I un-zipped it now the file is to big to fit on the disc's I have. will have to pick up a higher capacity one tomorrow.
rickhunter

I Void Warranties

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 02:26:30 AM »

You had over 800K free, psp is only about 360K.  Don't keep the zip file in the disk.  Unzip the files to your hard drive and then just copy the files over.

Slam

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2013, 11:17:07 AM »

Found the problem.. I downloaded "Mikohn Download for Windows V2.0" not PSP 2.0  Silly Me!  Now have the correct program & have access to it. From what I read I should choose "old" then proceed from there. I'll check back later to see if that is correct. Thank you again for all the help.

* psp 001.JPG (457.57 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 346 times.)
Slam

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2013, 12:28:22 PM »

That was really easy, Got her programmed & running. I can't thank you & this Awsome site enough for all the help & knowledge you provide.  Clap  Clap  Clap

* sb 001.JPG (598.56 KB, 1200x1600 - viewed 351 times.)
rickhunter

I Void Warranties

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2013, 03:16:49 PM »

Glad you got it going!  propeller propeller propeller

knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2013, 05:00:54 AM »

Found the problem.. I downloaded "Mikohn Download for Windows V2.0" not PSP 2.0  Silly Me!  Now have the correct program & have access to it. From what I read I should choose "old" then proceed from there. I'll check back later to see if that is correct. Thank you again for all the help.

Did you not get my e-mail?

Regardless, glad to see you got it up and running!   yes

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.