Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:52:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Monitor Repair Log and Database. **Arcade and Gaming**
| |-+  Monitor Repair Tech Support
| | |-+  external power supply for IGT monitor
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: external power supply for IGT monitor  (Read 7560 times)
Styx
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 15

« on: August 07, 2013, 02:34:28 AM »

Hello,

I have a few power supplies I'm troubleshooting. Two of them have the proper voltage outputs, but the monitor flickers. One of them has no output at all. I've checked many of the caps, and all seem well. I've compared the boards with a functioning board, and still can't get to the bottom of it. I know you guys can't pull answers out of thin air, and I am only moderate when it comes to board repairs and troubleshooting.

I was hoping, that maybe you may have previous experience with the specific issue of the proper voltage, but flickering once connected to the monitor?

The machine is an IGT AVP (SMLD I think). Power supply model # WP207F11
DC output is 24V and 12V
The power supply is for the top monitor.

Thank you for any clues you might have!

-Styx
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 02:02:16 PM »

See if this thread is any help to you, look at reply #20      http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=1988.msg14955#msg14955

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
Firebird
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 5

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 10:24:19 PM »

The only two monitors I can think of in the AVP have either its own power supply (slant top) or the monitor is fed directly by 120VAC to the monitor (Upright) the slant top has a power supply mounted on the back wall behind the monitor. The upright has an internal power supply. Can you post a picture of the monitor in question? Also, some of the AVP's have a secondary power supply, usually mounted to the side of the brain box.

It has been my experience that if the picture is flickering, you should recap the A/D board in the monitor, has worked 90% of the time for me.
Styx

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 10:12:56 PM »

I originally thought this was a monitor issue too. I connected a different monitor to the power supply, to find it flickering the same way. When I removed the external power supply from the machine next to it to give it a go, the monitor worked perfectly. At least I know it is the power supply causing the issue.

For now, we have a new power supply here for the machine, but I'd still like to find a way to repair the boards we have piling up. I'll also try to get some photos of the power supply when together, apart, and the connection to the monitor.

The only two monitors I can think of in the AVP have either its own power supply (slant top) or the monitor is fed directly by 120VAC to the monitor (Upright) the slant top has a power supply mounted on the back wall behind the monitor. The upright has an internal power supply. Can you post a picture of the monitor in question? Also, some of the AVP's have a secondary power supply, usually mounted to the side of the brain box.

It has been my experience that if the picture is flickering, you should recap the A/D board in the monitor, has worked 90% of the time for me.
Styx

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 10:14:34 PM »

Hello,

Thank you for the link to that thread! It isn't the same power supply unfortunately, but I'll try to get some photos together for you guys to see if any of you have dealt with them before.

Thanks again!!
Styx

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 12:08:23 AM »

Here are some photos:

* DSCN0155[1].JPG (125.22 KB, 640x480 - viewed 453 times.)

* DSCN0156[1].JPG (125.62 KB, 640x480 - viewed 404 times.)
Styx

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 12:09:04 AM »

And one more of the inside:

* DSCN0157[1].JPG (127.65 KB, 640x480 - viewed 413 times.)
Firebird
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 5

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 02:05:41 AM »

I have fixed those by changing the caps out on the board, I do not bother testing them, I have gotten good readings on bad caps before, I just change em out now.
Styx

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 02:14:25 AM »

I've had that work for no output altogether on other power supplies, but usually a couple of caps test as bad caps.
If I plug this in, it comes up, and the image is there, it just flickers the whole time. I've never come across the flickering before, so I thought maybe it was an indicator of a different kind of problem, especially with the caps testing fine.

I think my next step will be to change out all of the caps as a hail Mary. It's going to be a huge pain to see if we even have all the right kinds here.  stir the pot / get cooking
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.