Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 12:07:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Bill Validators and Currency acceptors
| |-+  JCM DBV-45, DBV-145, and DBV-200 Bill Validators.
| | |-+  DBV-145 problem
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DBV-145 problem  (Read 12673 times)
Italianguy63
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 1

« on: August 16, 2013, 05:58:29 AM »

Hi..  Newbie here.  I have had my IGT+ for a long time. (Double Spin 5 Times Pay) squaretop.  Anyway, I have always had problems with my DBV.  I want to finally get around to fix it.  It reads and validates bills no problem (even up to 100's).  The model is DBV-145-SS-6031-B022.  It does something funky.  It works great, but after being turned on for several hours, the DBV just starts repeatedly cycling for no reason.  It is annoying at best.  I figure the problem is heat related somehow, and am hoping someone can offer a fix.  Do I need to just replace the DBV?  Or could there be something else wrong?  I have cleaned and reseated, checked the cables, etc..  If I need to replace the DBV, what model(s) would work?  Thank you in advance.  Mark
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 06:29:49 AM by Italianguy63 » Logged
Italianguy63

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 08:27:10 PM »

OK-- I switched out the DBV.  Now I have a DBV-200.  Same problem.  Works fine, but after about 2 hours it just starts cycling repeatedly.  So, it was not the DBV it appears.  I guess the power supply next?  Any other things you techs can think of that would start causing the DBV to just randomly cycle?  Mark
rickhunter
SMAA Founder and Chairman
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 226

I Void Warranties

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 08:35:07 PM »

Sounds like a power issue.  I should point out that when you switch from a 145 to a 200, you need to change power supply anyway as the 200 draws more current.  So make sure you get the beefier dbv power supply.  THe beefier power supply has vents on it, the original db145 did not.

A slot collector is like a coin hopper in a machine that never pays out.  they just keep on accumulating assets.
Italianguy63

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 09:09:47 PM »

I had already looked at that.  The box already had a vented P/S.  My thought too is next to swap out the power supply.
Italianguy63

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 06:14:03 AM »

Waiting on parts again...   zzzzzzz
Italianguy63

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 04:15:34 PM »

Put a new P/S in.  I guess I will know in a few hours if the problem is licked or not.   Scratch Head
Italianguy63

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 05:59:33 PM »

ARRRGGHH.. That wasn't it!  I'm stumped now.   hissy fit
rickhunter

I Void Warranties

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 06:53:07 PM »

Does the game play correctly while the dbv is in psycho cycling mode?  Can you put a coin it and does the slot take it?  Maybe your transport thinks it's got a bill in it and is issuing a feed command to the head?  Have you checked the transport for dirt? or have you replaced the transport?

A slot collector is like a coin hopper in a machine that never pays out.  they just keep on accumulating assets.
Italianguy63

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 07:08:05 PM »

Checked it.  and yes, it will take coins when the DBV is whacking out.  However, the DBV light goes out (won't accept bills) when it is weirding out.  What should I look for in the transport?  I have cleaned it before (a long time ago).  Didn't seem to make a difference.
Italianguy63

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 07:11:43 PM »

And why only when the machine is warm?   Scratch Head
rickhunter

I Void Warranties

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 07:19:33 PM »

I can only assume (and it is not good to do that all the time) that when it heats up, there's some kind of expansion going on that is causing some kind of an issue triggering the behavior.  The only part you have left to exchange is the transport.  Since the machine plays fine while this is going on, I tend to believe that there are no issues with the mpu.  I think (though I'm not sure) that there's is a switch that is triggered when the cash can is inserted.  If you remove the cash and jumper the switch, I wonder if you get the cycling issue.  I know on wms dotmations you can remove the cash can if you defeat the switch as stated.  Maybe there's something going on with that?

Italianguy63

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 07:36:28 PM »

Thanks for your help Rick.  The machine actually started freaking out too.  Making bizzare tones, reels spinning slowly.  Had to reset the machine to make it stop.  However, I disconnected the power to the DBV, and all is fine.  Where would that switch be?
rickhunter

I Void Warranties

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 08:13:38 PM »

I don't have an S+ with a dbv validator. I use wba's on mine.  When you remove the cash box, there should be a switch in the back somewhere you can rig it to be always on by jumping the connections.  I'm not sure of it's location on an S+, since it is a vertical stacker.  Having the machine acting all weird on you now provides another set of issues.  If you leave the dbv disconnected for hours on end, like 24 hours, does the machine go nuts?

Italianguy63

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2013, 08:29:16 PM »

I will have to let you know.  I have disconnected the DBV because it is just too annoying and it slows game play too while it cycles.   I think the machine is OK as long as the DBV is unhooked.  I just took the transport out again and looked it over and reseated all the little plugs.  There is a circuit board on the transport-- that would give a reason for why it only messes up when hot (some kind of solid-state breakdown probably).  There go those assumptions again.  I think the next thing I do is try to find a transport.  Any ideas?  This stupid problem is starting to get expensive.
Neonkiss

Total Karma Storms: 436

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 08:30:31 PM »

I'm wondering if the issue may be with the MPU board?
On the IGT machines these boards also perform the output of a machine like a I/O board.

Whatever it is, it sounds like a cold solder connection.

Nothing brings people together better than a common enemy
343 / 60 brothers lost on that day.
Italianguy63

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2013, 08:52:14 PM »

Any suggestions on where to start?  Should I order another transport?  It is definitely something between the transport and the MPU....  I don't have schematics or anything, so I have no clue as to what to look at.
Italianguy63

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2013, 09:24:19 AM »

OK.  Ordered a transport just to rule it out.  Waiting on parts again.....   zzzzzzz

While I am waiting, a couple other semi-related questions.  On the front right of the transport, there is a 4 pin black plug.  The cable runs back into the cash box on the right side.  Where does it go?  I am wondering because the plug on mine is missing the interlock (broken), and the pins in the plug look crappy (dirty/tarnished).  Maybe the source of my issues?  Any idea where to get that replacement cable?

2nd question that probably belongs elsewhere.  But, since the thread is open anyway.  I am trying to determine which chipset I have.  I have a Double Spin Five Times Pay (3 coins).  I tried following the directions, but have a problem-- there is NO WHITE BUTTON next to my power switch.  What gives with that?  Just a hole.  Any help with that would be appreciated.  So, I did the next best thing and opened up the MPU to look at the chips.  No help there either.  The label on the Game EPROM has been peeled off.  And the Reel EPROM has a generic label on it from GLI  (Gaming Laboratories Inc.)-- It just says "GLI - 810".  Any ideas folks?

Turning the jackpot key to "4" reveals  "3434  0810"

Thanks again!  MC
proten

Total Karma Storms: 210

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2013, 11:13:39 AM »

OK SS3434 is "Triple Jackpot" 87% pay back

Here is the game page:

http://www.newlifegames.net/igtbible/IGT%203CM/Game%20Library%20-%20S-Plus%20-%20Triple%20Jackpot%20%28125A%29%20%283%20Coin%20Multip.htm

One step at a time.
Italianguy63

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2013, 06:46:09 PM »

Eww.. that is a whole new set of questions.. That doesn't match my machine's pay table.  But, the machine seems to pay out right.
proten

Total Karma Storms: 210

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2013, 08:19:42 PM »

Looked back and saw that the MPU is
reporting  the chip #. So the games must be close.
SS 7511 or SS 7512 would be best.
Here is the page for your game.

http://www.newlifegames.net/igtbible/IGT%203CM/Game%20Library%20-%20S-Plus%20-%20Double%20Spin%20Five%20Times%20Pay%20(3%20Coin%20M.htm
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 08:32:39 PM by proten » Logged

One step at a time.
Italianguy63

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2013, 08:35:35 PM »

Yes-- similar.  The jackpot is way higher on the Double Spin ($15K coins).  So I expect that alters the payout percentage.  I have never hit a jackpot, so I couldn't tell you if that part is programmed right.  The Triple Jackpot also has stuff the Double Spin doesn't ..    This is the machine I have:

http://www.newlifegames.net/igtbible/IGT%203CM/Game%20Library%20-%20S-Plus%20-%20Double%20Spin%20Five%20Times%20Pay%20(3%20Coin%20M.htm
Italianguy63

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2013, 08:37:30 PM »

Do I need to swap it out (Eprom)?  How involved is that?
rickhunter

I Void Warranties

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2013, 10:35:04 PM »

easy, just remove one and plug the other, then clear the error with the reset button.

Italianguy63

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2013, 08:04:46 PM »

I'm sorry I am such a newb.  Does it look like I need the REEL eprom, the GAME eprom, or both?
rickhunter

I Void Warranties

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2013, 01:28:33 PM »

Reel Eprom.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.