Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:47:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Monitor Repair Log and Database. **Arcade and Gaming**
| |-+  Monitor Repair Tech Support
| | |-+  Using a ELO 1739L LCD in a Bally EVO
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Using a ELO 1739L LCD in a Bally EVO  (Read 7962 times)
tjlee
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 76

« on: September 14, 2013, 08:21:03 AM »

I am trying to interface an ELO 1739L LCD touchscreen monitor to a bally EVO slot.  MOnitor installed now in the slot is a ELO 1787C CRT.  BOth the LCD and CRT monitors use IntelliTouch screens.  Getting the video to work is no problem as it is just plug and play.  Getting the touchscreen to work has been a problem.  The hookup for the CRT touchscreen is serial RX, TX, and GND.  When I hook up the LCD to RX, TX, and GND I get no touch response. I tried reversing the TX and RX leads with no response.  ALso tried a five wire serial hookup too with no response.  Monitor touchscreen works on a computer so screen is good on it.  I would think since both monitors have Intellitouch screens that the software driver would work for both.  I have contacted ELO but they said they have no info on interfacing to gaming machines. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 
ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 430

I DONT SELL ON EBAY ITS NOT ME .

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 10:21:19 AM »

I am trying to interface an ELO 1739L LCD touchscreen monitor to a bally EVO slot.  MOnitor installed now in the slot is a ELO 1787C CRT.  BOth the LCD and CRT monitors use IntelliTouch screens.  Getting the video to work is no problem as it is just plug and play.  Getting the touchscreen to work has been a problem.  The hookup for the CRT touchscreen is serial RX, TX, and GND.  When I hook up the LCD to RX, TX, and GND I get no touch response. I tried reversing the TX and RX leads with no response.  ALso tried a five wire serial hookup too with no response.  Monitor touchscreen works on a computer so screen is good on it.  I would think since both monitors have Intellitouch screens that the software driver would work for both.  I have contacted ELO but they said they have no info on interfacing to gaming machines. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 
It sounds from my experience u got the answer . it does not have the drivers for the ELO since the machine company's buy from one co. most of the time ---to get the million T/S discount etc .

thats why ELO told you they had no info about them using them in gaming machines of your type .
thats why it works on your computer but not your game .
JVL did the same thing years ago 1996-on up on counter top touch screen games . they purchased from both ELO & 3M on there early models they installed drivers for both T/S to work --until they went to there  4 to Concorde 9 series Machines they only purchased from 3M micro touch and only installed drivers for the 3m
so if you tried a ELO  T/S  it would not work or say on screen touch screen not recognized .
hope this helps your problem ?
I assume it had a 3M T/S to start ?? if not please post pictures or more details of what you have done or tried .

The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, WHAT YOU CHOOSE TO POST , what you think & what you do is who you become.
tjlee
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 10:41:13 AM »

Thanks for reply.  That's was my last thought--no software driver for the touchscreen.  Looks like I am out in the cold on this unless I change touchscreens or somehow figure out how to load the driver in the slot along with the software (I am no programmer).  Is there a way to check what is the manufacturer of the touchscreen without disassembly of it??  Probably,  my best bet is to contact ELO and ask them.  They probably would know if I sent them the serial numbers of the monitors.  Good thing out of this is I now have five different patch cords made up for ELO monitors. Silly Me!  I hate to give up on this.  Thanks again for your input!!  Hail
ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 10:48:41 AM »

Thanks for reply.  That's was my last thought--no software driver for the touchscreen.  Looks like I am out in the cold on this unless I change touchscreens or somehow figure out how to load the driver in the slot along with the software (I am no programmer).  Is there a way to check what is the manufacturer of the touchscreen without disassembly of it??  Probably,  my best bet is to contact ELO and ask them.  They probably would know if I sent them the serial numbers of the monitors.  Good thing out of this is I now have five different patch cords made up for ELO monitors. Silly Me!  I hate to give up on this.  Thanks again for your input!!  Hail

monitors have nothing to do with it . you can put anyones t/s on a monitor . its BALLY did they use exclusive 3M touch screens -my guess is yes . TO IDENTIFY its easy 3m are marked on CRT & LCD TOUCH SCREEN GLASS in 99.9% cases plus use a white or ivory color touich screen controller fed by 12 volts dc --ELO USES 5 VOLTS DC on there controller and its a little square silver box both are size of pack of cigarettes approx . in some cases on gaming machines they run controllers on boards -green in color outside the plastic protector that will say 3m or ELO
as far as loading drivers goodluck -you would have to re write the entire software disc for machine . and i guaranty the software writer put in a "stop" in order for someone to do this . thats why copyrights are so well protected .  

The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, WHAT YOU CHOOSE TO POST , what you think & what you do is who you become.
montech
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 30

How long is a short?

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 01:49:36 PM »

Hello
Also could be a mater of setting the comm settings in the controller...which you can do with a PC that has a serial port. like baud rate(9600, etc) and handshake(8n1 for example) I did this back when I was doing lots of LCD for AGE. We need to find the baud rate etc for the EVO. If its 3M you can hook it up and reprogram it. Only ones I couldn't reprogram were the IGT proprietary controllers.

There ya go again...trying to find a simple answer to a complex problem...all you techs are the same!
tjlee
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 09:47:26 AM »

OK--I will take a look at it today on the PC using ELO software.  Reprograming the disk is way beyond my computer skills but reprograming the controller may be a solution.  At least I have some hope of maybe getting this to work..  Thanks to all for the suggestions  applause
ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 10:13:06 AM »

OK--I will take a look at it today on the PC using ELO software.  Reprograming the disk is way beyond my computer skills but reprograming the controller may be a solution.  At least I have some hope of maybe getting this to work..  Thanks to all for the suggestions  applause

simple question: did the machine come with a CRT to start ?? if so what size is the CRT you have right now ?or did it come with a   LCD ???

or my guess is your replacing the CRT with a LCD --but its a ELO touch screen and then the problems started .

reason I ask is  a entire brand new touch screen  for a CRT -Tube display --N O S --aka=new old stock
with  controller for 3M only cost about 30.00 bucks to 50.00

yes you see some nuts on ebay who think there gold and want 75.00 bucks  plus for a used touch screens for CRT or for a LCD .

If its a LCD get the diagonal dimensions and just swap out the ELO touch screen with a 3m touch screen  and your done .

tjlee
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 10:37:04 AM »

Unfortunately the slot came with a CRT so swapping screens is out.  The CRT works fine with the slot but I picked up the LCD's for cheap so I thought I would change them out.  Good idea but a no go.  I will keep at it and see if I can get it to work.  Thanks for the suggestion.
tjlee
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 10:42:56 AM »

I will see if I can get a pictures posted of the inside of the LCD touchscreen monitor I have here.  It runs a different controller than the CRT as I had it apart a few days ago.  If it can be changed out I would maybe need help finding a vendor.  Thanks
tjlee
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 04:23:38 PM »

Here is a link that shows the controller used in the 1739L T/S monitor I am trying to interface to my Bally EVO.  I am not all that computer literate so any help is appreciated.  The board used in the old CRT T/S is the ELO 2500S  Here's a link to 1739L board  http://www.elotouch.com/Products/Touchscreens/IntelliTouch/c2701rsu.asp
montech
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 30

How long is a short?

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 05:11:34 PM »

Ok You have a great place to start. It looks at the comm settings may be fixed on this controller, not sure.  I seem to remember bally settings as 7,1,1 but cant remember Ill try to find out. Point is that I'm sure its not 8,N,1 that they have it factory set to. Contact Elo tech support and find out of the serial comm settings on the controller can be reset to Ballys handshaking protocol using HyperTerminal. They were programmable before but they may have changed this.

There ya go again...trying to find a simple answer to a complex problem...all you techs are the same!
tjlee
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 10:59:15 PM »

Well, bad news--Here is what ELO told me--"Your monitor has the IntelliTouch Surface Wave technology integrated on it.  Unfortunately, the handshaking needs to be done via software.  We can do that with our touch drivers, but since our drivers are not installed, we are unable to help you with this request" Looks like I will not be able to use the monitor with the ELO touchscreen. Better luck next time.  Thanks for the suggestion.
kondy73
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 2

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 04:07:21 PM »

Send a photo of the old ELO touch controller.
I am available drivers newer elo touch 2701 for OS MS-DOS / FREE DOS if it could help.
tjlee
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 06:59:13 PM »

Thanks for the offer but unfortunately the drivers are being loaded in via the EVO software disc.  I have no idea how you would modify the disc to load the ELO drivers in too.  Also, I am sure Bally has protected the software somehow so you cannot do this.  
coorslight115
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 79

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 08:53:28 PM »

If it will help you, I have a complete OEM LCD w/touch screen and driver board from a EVO Hybrid w/cables.
tjlee
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 11:27:13 PM »

OK  Let me give it some thought as I think that LCD is smaller than 17" touchscreen.  Send me a PM with a price if its no problem  Thanks
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.