Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:11:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Monitor Repair Log and Database. **Arcade and Gaming**
| |-+  Monitor Repair Tech Support
| | |-+  Reuse a 3M Touchscreen
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reuse a 3M Touchscreen  (Read 2873 times)
gkfan
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 0

« on: December 14, 2013, 01:05:32 PM »

Is it possible to remove and reuse a working 3M Touchscreen? If so how do I remove it?  Do they have adhesive on the side touching the CRT? 

I have a Odyssey machine and a source of 27 in LCD monitors.  If I can reuse the touchscreen cost will be very reasonable.

Thanks in advance.
Neonkiss
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 436

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 01:27:31 PM »

On the Odyssey, the screens are attached with cloth Gaffers Tape and some double sided tape on the corners.
Not sure if a 27 inch monitor will be big enough for a Odyssey. I thought that screen was like 32 inches? Also remember when you remove the touchscreen it was designed for a CRT and has a curve surface.

Nothing brings people together better than a common enemy
343 / 60 brothers lost on that day.
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 308

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 01:53:49 PM »

Is it possible to remove and reuse a working 3M Touchscreen? If so how do I remove it?  Do they have adhesive on the side touching the CRT? 

I have removed touch screens from 13" Creonix and reused them. I used a razor knife, holding it against the bad CRT surface and cut just through the sealing tape.. I then peel back the sealing tape to expose the two sided mounting tape. I have heard of people using dental floss to cut through the mounting tape, but I use the save razor knife to cut the mounting tape. Hold the knife flat against the CRT tube and carefully cut one piece of mounting tape at a time until you have them all cut. Then remove the touch screen to clean it up, and reuse. I used plain black electrial tape to seal out the dirt once I had the touch screen remounted on the CRT.

Gary

If it's jammed, force it... If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway...
gkfan
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 0

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 07:42:35 PM »

So based on the above info I should be able to reuse my touchscreen.  Are all the touchscreens flat sheet's?  I cannot imagine they have the CRTs profile molded in.

Do the screens have any backing adhesive I need to worry about?

Thanks for all the replies.

PS. the 27 inch screen size is correct this modification has been successfully done by another.  I will use the same monitor he used.
KirkLasVegas
Retired OLD Buzzard

Total Karma Storms: 233

Newest addition to the family, RIP Bentley

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 08:50:41 PM »

Warm up the adhesive with a hairdryer....
Those were Phillips 35 inch tubes...HARD to find and weigh a TON!

Definition of "Retirement"= to be able to get back all you contributed into it AND take some of their money too before dropping dead.
Neonkiss

Total Karma Storms: 436

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 11:49:01 PM »

Are all the touchscreens flat sheet's?  I cannot imagine they have the CRTs profile molded in.

PS. the 27 inch screen size is correct this modification has been successfully done by another.  I will use the same monitor he used.

The touchscreen is glass and molded to the curve of the CRT.

Nothing brings people together better than a common enemy
343 / 60 brothers lost on that day.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.