Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:40:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Video Slots** Gaming machines
| |-+  BALLY Game Maker. (Moderator: tacman)
| | |-+  No Sound on Bally Game Magic
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: No Sound on Bally Game Magic  (Read 4007 times)
vette6048
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 4

« on: December 14, 2013, 11:19:30 PM »

Trying to get the sound to work on my Game Magic. I checked the speaker and everything is connected correctly. On the board the white volume button is broke, but I was able to turn it with a small pair of pliers and still no luck. The machine has a sound check that I tried and still nothing. Is it possible the sound button on the board is no good. What can I do to check this? Hate having no sound!!
rokgpsman
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 6

Just a curious observer...

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 05:03:57 PM »

Even though you can physically turn the adjustment shaft the electrical connection inside that part could be broken from whatever broke it in the first place, or the volume adjust connecting lugs (legs) might be broken. Carefully examine under the part, see if any of the connections or wires (little legs from the pot) are broken. Did the sound work ok before the volume adjust was broken? If so then that's likely the problem even if you can turn the shaft.  Probably best to have the volume pot replaced.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 02:52:45 PM by rokgpsman » Logged
vette6048

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 02:09:50 PM »

The sound did not work when I received the machine. The board I currently have I bought from Wordwide Gaming and I did not notice the volume adjust was broken before I bought it, or If I had noticed I would have not purchased it. The board was not cheap. Where would I be able to purchase a volume pot? You would think that they would replace the volume pot before selling because they did not specify in the description that the volume pot was broken. At least this is the way I feel. You live and learn!!
tacman
Topic Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 446

Genius in training.

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 02:16:48 PM »

Louie, is that a separate deluxe sound board or is the pot on the  MPU?

Dan (tacman)

rokgpsman

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 02:47:44 PM »

The sound did not work when I received the machine. The board I currently have I bought from Wordwide Gaming and I did not notice the volume adjust was broken before I bought it, or If I had noticed I would have not purchased it. The board was not cheap. Where would I be able to purchase a volume pot? You would think that they would replace the volume pot before selling because they did not specify in the description that the volume pot was broken. At least this is the way I feel. You live and learn!!

If you bought the board from them online and it was shipped to you maybe it got damaged in shipping. Or maybe they didn't notice it was broken when they shipped it out. Have you tried contacting them and explaining it was received that way? They should have you return it for a replacement or refund. Be aware they do have a reputation for higher prices than other suppliers. But you can talk to them in a friendly manner and see what they will do, won't cost you anything to try.

If you end up stuck with the board and want to replace the volume pot you can find them at various electronic parts suppliers, like Mouser, DigiKey, Happ Amusement and others. There are many variations of volume controls, you'll need to get a replacement that is the same or close in physical size. Plus the electrical size is important, such as a "10k" or "100k" for example. If you examine the broken part there should be tiny writing that helps to identify it. You may need to get help in doing this from someone familiar with electronic parts, or post a closeup picture of it here. Also, perhaps someone here that has access to the same machine can say what the replacement volume pot is. After getting the new pot you just unsolder the old one and solder in the new one.

Since this board with the broken volume pot is a replacement board then do you have the original board also? Could the volume pot from the original board be removed and installed onto the new board? Save that original board, it may turn out that it is ok and not causing the sound problem you have.

Can you post a picture of the broken volume pot? That will make it more clear what is wrong to those here that want to help.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 02:59:47 PM by rokgpsman » Logged
vette6048

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 04:36:08 PM »

Dan,
The pot is on the MPU board!!
vette6048

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 04:45:32 PM »

The board that originally came with the machine needed a battery. I tried to solder a new battery and bingo I wrecked the board. I am horrible at soldering and when I did manage to get the battery on I got nothing on the screen when I put it back in the machine. I shipped the board to a friend in Vegas and he tested the board and it came up no good. Thats when I ordered a board from WWG. I know for a fact it did not come damaged in shipping. I bought it from them thru Ebay and I looked up the description and it states "AS IS". I am stuck with this so I will post a picture of the board. The Game Magic uses the same identical board as a Game Maker. When I get a replacement pod I will have to have somebody solder it because I do not want to damage another board. Not to change the subject but I need some opinions on this. I am interested in purchasing a Bally Alpha Game Maker HD upright machine. Is it a hard machine to maintain or will I be stepping in mud if I do purchase one?
rokgpsman

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 11:37:46 PM »

The board that originally came with the machine needed a battery. I tried to solder a new battery and bingo I wrecked the board. I am horrible at soldering and when I did manage to get the battery on I got nothing on the screen when I put it back in the machine. I shipped the board to a friend in Vegas and he tested the board and it came up no good. Thats when I ordered a board from WWG. I know for a fact it did not come damaged in shipping. I bought it from them thru Ebay and I looked up the description and it states "AS IS". I am stuck with this so I will post a picture of the board. The Game Magic uses the same identical board as a Game Maker. When I get a replacement pod I will have to have somebody solder it because I do not want to damage another board. Not to change the subject but I need some opinions on this. I am interested in purchasing a Bally Alpha Game Maker HD upright machine. Is it a hard machine to maintain or will I be stepping in mud if I do purchase one?

I agree with you that you should ask someone to solder in a new volume pot. Like Clint Eastwood/Dirty Harry said "a man's got to know his limitations".

Maybe your friend in Vegas can remove the volume pot off the board you sent to him & install it onto the replacement board you got from WWG? Or he could mail the volume pot to you and you could get someone to do the replacement for you. By using the volume pot off the original board you'd eliminate the problem of finding & buying the correct part.

Hey! How about taking the WWG board with you to Vegas to see your friend and get the volume pot changed there? Any reason to visit Vegas is a good one!

Sorry, I don't know anything about the Bally Alpha Game Maker HD upright machine. I bet you'd get a much wider read and more comments on your question if you post a new, separate message with an intriguing title.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 01:56:42 AM by rokgpsman » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.