Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:38:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Arcade Games, Pinball, Crane Games, Redemption Games and Other Stuff
| |-+  Arcade Games **Video**
| | |-+  atari super sprint monitor issues
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: atari super sprint monitor issues  (Read 8559 times)
clizifer
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 1

« on: January 04, 2014, 03:16:52 AM »

i just aquired and atari super sprint upright arcade game. the game itself seems to work fine but the monitor doesnt. i beleive the previous owner had played with the settings and dials on the back of the tube. the picture looks all misaligned and the color is off. ive uploaded a picture of what it looks like. is there anyway to clean up the image so it is atleast playable?

also im curious how hard it is to do a monitor swap on something like this. the guy i got it from seemed to think he could fit a bigger monitor in it and was going to use an old tv or computer monitor. is this possible to do? i see there is only 2 connectors going to the monitor. the first 2 wire is obviously power and im guessing the other 6 wire connector is the video feed. is this anything like a 15pin monitor connection with seperate power cord??

* Picture 07 (Medium).jpg (90.99 KB, 800x598 - viewed 401 times.)
channelmaniac
Surface mount soldering geek
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 568

Few things are better than fixing an old game...

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 04:41:21 AM »

Looks like a bad sync issue or an incorrect monitor. I'm leaning towards incorrect monitor.

Super Sprint is a medium resolution game and you'll get a screen looking like what you have if you have a standard resolution monitor in it.

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9952

Raymond

I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

http://www.arcadecomponents.com
clizifer

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 04:12:22 PM »

ok, this monitor has burn in from another game on it so im guessing it was switched at some point. whats my best bet?? ive seen online that there is an rgb to tv converter so I can hook it up to a regular tv monitor or possibly lcd. it says it only works with standard resolution tho so would I have a problem using it on my super sprint game? or would I be better off trying to find a replacement monitor for it. ive played with the convergence trying to get the image to line up but it never does. I wanna get this thing working so I can play it lol
slotsteve
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 139

we are opened a home sale store on us 58

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 07:01:34 PM »

go to a local amusement route guy I'm sure he'll have some 19in monitors laying around that will work in that game  , we toss out 19in monitors  games when we get them in on trade , I'm sure they a route guy there that would sell you one for 50bucks or less  here in us at arcade auctions  they can't get any $$$ for those old 19 games 
clizifer

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 07:41:46 PM »

im not sure where i would find an arcade guy around here. theres a store that sells parts and such, but they are pretty pricy. im thinking of just going the converter route and buying the video converter off ebay for $35 then just getting an old tube tv from the recycler. i wouldnt mind upgrading the 19" to a 24" anyways as the cabinet is quite large and could easily fit a bigger monitor. im wondering if anyone has ever used the converters before
channelmaniac
Surface mount soldering geek
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 568

Few things are better than fixing an old game...

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 09:15:15 PM »

Will probably be difficult to find a converter to work with a medium res game.

Ouch... Canada. May be hard to find a monitor up there, but check with the folks on the KLOV forums: forums.arcade-museum.com

Raymond

I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

http://www.arcadecomponents.com
clizifer

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 11:02:36 PM »

i was reading that the jrok converters dont handle medium res but there is a different brand that does all resolutions, the name of it started with a g i think Tongue cant remeber tho
clizifer

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 03:44:14 PM »

so heres my update. I ended up getting the gonbes gbs8200 video converter and I hooked it all up to my super sprint video wiring and 5volt power supply. im sure the wiring is correct as I found the sprint wiring diagrams online. when I hook up my computer monitor to the card I can go through the onscreen menus for the converter card but I keep getting "no signal" on the monitor. I know the super sprint game is medium resolution but this particular card is supposed to handle it. any ideas how I can get it to work??
Fogbottom

Total Karma Storms: 0

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 03:05:05 AM »

Atari Super Sprint pin-out includes a composite sync line on pin 6 of the video out connector.  Remove the V. Sync conductor from your harness.  Move the H. Sync conductor over one notch in your connector to the composite sync pin.

Splice in your input cable matching Ground, Red, Green, and sync.  This should give you a picture.

You will also have to set Clamp st and Clamp sp to 55 & 57 respectively to keep the final image from drifting/blooming.

I've also found that I have had to dial back the rgb input pots a small amount.  These boards don't seem to need the full volt p.p.
clizifer

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 07:09:56 PM »

hey there, i tried what youve said. i removed the v sync wire and moved h sync over to pin 6 on the super sprint video board connector. i then spliced in my converter connecting the red green and blue wires as well as the sync. i powered up everything and went into settings for the converter and changed the two clamp settings and im still getting no signal on my monitor. is there something i missed?? do you have a super sprint machine as well and were you able to get it working with the video converter? if so which converter were you using?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.