Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:27:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S2000 and Vision Games.
| | |-+  S2000 Display
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: S2000 Display  (Read 7080 times)
rkw4444
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: -5

« on: February 05, 2014, 12:02:16 PM »

New to the board and probably one of the cheapest people in the industry!

I like to repair all our boards in house and have made a lot of progress, however I have not been able to find any information on repairing the VFD and 7 segment display boards. I have boards out that give 2 different errors, No Display and Meter Disconnect. It does not sound like it should be the boards but every other part has been changed and replacing the display was the only thing that fixed the problem and this displays do not work in other machines.

Does anyone know what capacitors/resistors would cause these to go bad or where I could find the information.
CVslots
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 432

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 01:56:39 PM »

New to the board and probably one of the cheapest people in the industry!

So I guess a small Contribution to the site is out of the question?  rotflmao Only kidding of course, but if you do find some of the information that is helpful, contributions are always welcome!

NLG Welcome We have lots of members that do board level repairs, so I'm sure you will feel right at home!

rkw4444

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 02:17:20 PM »

Contributions are never out of the question, just need to get to know a little more about the site. Over the next few days I will learn more about the site as I have time to search it over. I must say that what I have had time to look at it looks as if it will be a great tool.
CVslots

Total Karma Storms: 432

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 02:42:09 PM »

I was just messing with you! We have some VERY knowledgable members. Literally HUNDREDS of years of knowledge/experience combined, with platforms spanning from Bally EMs to AVPs and BBs. The Search function is a great tool. You should try searching "VFD repair" and see what you get. Someone may have already done it and have the info.  yes

rickhunter
SMAA Founder and Chairman

Total Karma Storms: 226

I Void Warranties

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 09:38:53 PM »

There was a discussion about those errors popping up due to netplex issues with some of the parts you mentioned.  I would suspect that the faulty parts have had some sort of short or surge in the netplex circuitry resulting in those errors. 

A slot collector is like a coin hopper in a machine that never pays out.  they just keep on accumulating assets.
rkw4444

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 12:33:32 PM »

I read all the post on the errors and have always changed all the parts until we have found the culprit. Those problems can cause the display itself to go bad. The display gives all the same symptoms and still shows the messages so you would think that it is still good, however this is not always true and changing the display itself is the only fix for the machine. I have about 50 of the entire display and I am trying to figure out what on the bourd goes bad.

All other options have been checked. I have gone as far as completely rebuilding a machine with new power supplies, IOs, BA, printer, meters, harnesses and MPU. These displays will continue to give either the meter disconnect or the no display error. Put a new display in and it works just fine. I know there is something on these that is causing the problem, i just can not find the culprit. I have had my bench tech change capacitors on the 7 segment and that is not the problem. I am assuming it might be one of the chips but where to start.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 01:29:44 PM »

First of all, you need specific schematic drawing of the display in order to do bench top component troubleshooting.
What is the display PN No. and Date etched onto the circuit board ?
rkw4444

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 01:41:39 PM »

Date is 1996 Assy # 7511790. If you can find schematics that would be great. I have always been able to get them from the manuf, with exception of IGT. They just will not give me anything. Not to mention most repairs that I have found are just capacitors and the problem is fixed. Not in this case though.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 02:40:22 PM »

ok...I may be able to help if you can tell me if your display board uses a 12-pin connector using only 8 wires
and it has also a 2-pin power connecter?
Reason why I'm asking is because my drawings are from 1997.
Are there any REV. labels attached?

Thanks
rkw4444

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 06:13:13 PM »

The connector is 12 pin and all 12 are used. If you can help I would be greatful.

rkw4444

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 06:14:23 PM »

No REV numbers on this board.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 07:16:46 PM »

Try this sheet and compare it to your circuit board.
Link below...>>>

rkw4444

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 03:07:33 PM »

At quick glance that seems to be the one. I will start working on these boards next week and update if I find anything. Thanks for the schematic.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 03:28:46 PM »

You're welcome.
I never had any problems with my displays so I never really got into what makes them tick.
Should you succeed in repairing your displays, please don't hesitate to pay back by posting up a few repair notes!  yes
Might come handy someday for a fellow member tryna fix one of theirs?
rkw4444

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 06:22:34 PM »

We have about 800 of them in service and they are older than I am. We have gotten really good at board repair for them. Good thing with the end of life of these. Over the next year or 2 it will get harder for us to buy parts for them, since I cant just buy parts from anyone unfortunately. The display boards are the last boards to repair.

I cant thank you enough for the schematic.
idesign
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 509

If it aint broke why mess with it?????

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 09:41:57 PM »

Time to make a contribution to this site........
rkw4444

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 07:00:59 PM »

Took me longer to figure out than I had hoped. To many other responsibilities I gues.

The C6 capacitor has 2 problems that can cause the no display error (when not caused by the norm).

Both problems are simple, cap is bad or the solder has cracked. I have fixed about 20 of the dispalys now and its been about half and half.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.